Dynadot

Fake domain interests (EarthLink)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
There seems to be alot of fake "spam" from people who claim to be interested in buying a domain of mine, and they are all from different earthlink email addresses... interesting :) When replied, either their mailbox dont exist, or are too full or whatever..

Have you had similar experiences with the following addresses?:

[email protected]
[email protected]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I get them all the time, sometimes they even provide links to fake companys and such that have nothing to do with domains.

•••
Maybe I should call up Earthlink to have the spammers shut down or risk being sued :P

•••
Shannara said:
Maybe I should call up Earthlink to have the spammers shut down or risk being sued :P
Seriously, go ahead and report them. It would be good to know that the spammers got punished for what they did!

•••
Shannara said:

Eh, won't work. They've got more than their fair share of folks to deal with, and chances are that they're way out of country.

No personal jurisdiction, no chance of getting them ;)

-Allan

•••
Shannara said:

I'd forward the emails with the full headers intact to their Abuse Department at [email protected] :tu:

I've reported plenty of spammers to their providers in the past and most have been a success. :)

•••
sometimes, the email of innocent ictims are used!

•••
hmm reminds me of AOL when i use to AOL spam when i was like 10 ;\ it would let you create fake email addresses from AOL

•••
Dwayne said:
hmm reminds me of AOL when i use to AOL spam when i was like 10 ;\ it would let you create fake email addresses from AOL

There's more to the headers than just the "from" field that can be forged with any name or email address out there. They've got other means to track down the real culprit as well which can't be faked as easily as entering in a bogus name. ;)

•••
I've gotten e-mails from those jerks too. Does anyone know why they would want to pretend they are interested in buying domains? What is the actual scam or their mission? (Besides pissing alot of people off)

•••
vwblubug said:
What is the actual scam or their mission? (Besides pissing alot of people off)
Having fun while doing it. :D

•••
Well, the last I heard, You can send in the info to the ISP, and if they do not shut them down with in 30 days, the ISP is liable for each piece of spam sent..... ....

So if you send in the info to Earthlink, followed by a phone call (would be good to mail them w/ forced sig). Write down the time/date. Wait 30 days. If you still get emails from the same reported email accounts, take earthlink to court for refusal to quit spaming, and for the Bulk Mail code.

The difference here is that the same account/address is still being used and Earthlink have been made aware of it by both phone, email and snail mail with signature. They now have no choise but to shut down the account. If the account is still in use, the ISP is now responsible for allowing the spamming to continue.

:) So you can get them for spamming (depending on your state laws), AND $500 for each piece of email you recieve from the reported accounts.

http://www.osnews.com/bulk.php

Should work, eh?

Ur thoughts please.

•••
hmm didn't president bush sign something for anti-spam.. like the spammers will get charged $500 fine for every spam sent out?

•••
Spams are automatically filtered into my trash bins. Does that mean I'm automatically throwing $500/email away? Shesh, should not have filtered them, haha. The reason they want to spam you those mails about buying your domains are to later on convince you into getting an appraisal of the domain value. And as everyone should know, the appraisal company that they "insist" on using, will be someone from their own flock. After paying for the appraisal etc, they will either not respond to your mails or just say that they're no longer interested in the deal anymore. And thus, they earned from there. This is one of the many types of scams from appraisal companies. So better be careful with the $$ you're spending.

Flora.

•••
Ive auctually sold a domain through the email, they sent an email we negotiated a price boom done sold, but this was with an auctual company who I spoke with to confirm their existance.

•••
That's good, just beware of scammers who live out of our pockets.

Flora.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back