NameSilo

question Expired Domains/Backordering

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi All,

I've dabbled in domaining, on and off for around 5/6 years now and recently made the decision to make it a part time hobby with the ambition to make profits... If all goes well ofc.

I haven't able to buy any domains yet and every time I find a domain that interests me, I pick holes in it until I find every reason not to buy it.

Is this normal? (I have only been targeting hand reg domains, a mixture of pending delete/expiry)

As well as that I am fearful that if I get involved with backordering a domain, I will be entered into an auction that starts at a price that I am not willing to match. How are other peoples experience with the backordering service? The fact it costs $xx to just backorder is putting me off.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am also want to know that

•••
Hi @wakeh welcome to namepros and domaning.

So you havê been interested in investing to domaning for around 5/6 years?

That's a long time to make up a descision to invest or not, especially if your investment is just a hobby.

On the plus side you probably havê learn great number of things from domains on those 5/6 years but pratice (experience) is just hás important has the theory parte.

I recommend you to start investing and gain some experience but don't get carried away and start buying lot's of domains (it's addictive) start by buying 5 domains max and don't buy more until you sell those 5 domains or make your money back. First learn all you can on domains theres always something new to learn and the domain business is always changing.

If you want to sell fast it's best you buy liquid domains (quality) rather then hand reg this away you know you van make some of your money back.

Don't backorder from godaddy they wont catch your name 85% of the time.

Backorder with namejet, snapnames etc.. They will only charge you if they catch the domain and their success rate is high. If you are interested in catching a domain chances are other people havê the same ideia hás you, só you will probably will go to auction for the name but like the old saying goes "to make money you havê to spend money".

Hope it help's.

Best of luck!

•••
Thanks @rafaelo0

I've been more of a domain lurker for 5 or 6 years with three success stories.

I have gotten very lucky with three domain sales in the past, as I had put no work into selling them but buyers approached me directly. They were domains I planned on using for myself to create a website project. I made approx $1000 on them combined.

Now I plan on domaining as a dedicated side project, I'm hoping to have success.

I am only targeting .com domains now which have more competition than .co.uk, which is where I had success before.

Where do you research pending delete/expiring domains? Is expireddomains.net a worthwhile research method?

•••
That's a great story, congratulation on your sales, your on the right track (y).

When buyers approach you is when you can make the highest sales, if you have good domains and the patience to wait for the right end user to approach you then you can make a xxxx$ sale.

It's funny when we aren't looking to sell our domains is when the offers come in, but when your looking to sell them is when offers stop coming in.

Yes .com is the king, but you might have to spend a good amount of money to get quality .com's or you can go with the hand reg strategy there are lot's of domainer's that have success with hand reg but it's more hard then you think, to find a gem in the middle of all the garbage.

Yes, expireddomains.net is the best place to research for expired, pending delete, auctions, hand reg etc.. domains. Just create a account is free and you will have access to the filters.

The filters are your friend's :xf.grin:.

I believe you will have success in domaning if you educate yourself, put your mind to it and work hard.

Best of luck.

•••
I have an example now...

Found a domain that was expiring, it expired and I didn't take the plunge and reg it.

The domain was "auctionsnearme.com"

Have I saved money by being safe? Or have I lost money by being uneducated?

Thanks

•••
I would have reg'd it. It's a good domain for storage auction directory. It's a good $10 investment.
Sometimes you just have to go with your guts.

Last edited:
•••
See "auctionnearme.com"

•••
Ok well at least I know I'm on the right track. I'll man up and go for the ones I have a good feeling about.

I started questioning it having 3 words in and how that would de value it.

Thanks for the help.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back