Dynadot

advice Experiences With High Renewals

NameSilo
Watch

JWS

Established Member
Impact
Just curious what people's experiences have been with high renewals on some of the newer TLDs, like in the $1000+ range. It's obviously going to be a big turn-off for end-users and other domainers. Has anyone had success with quality names despite the high renewal rates though?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Transfer is cheaper.

Many play the transfer instead of renewal game every year

•••
•••
$1000+ renewal for a single domain? Do you own such a domain?

One can easily renew around 120+ "old gtld" domains for that price without coupons.

It's expensive. I suppose if the domain is registered to a company or individual to whom $1000+ renewal p.a. per domain is nothing, then there wouldn't be an issue- I just wonder how many registrants actually fall into this category. Probably very few.

•••
Keep in mind that industry turnover has typically been in the 1-2% range and with alt TLDs will be lower. With .COM/.Net/.Org you have renewals under $10 so with good enough keywords and some parking revenue you have a chance of making money. Most domainers still don't make it over the hurdle as SEDO reports show median sales prices in the md- $XXX range. With .TV I have found $28-$30 renewals to be a real problem. Yes, there are occasional sales but they don't make up for much higher renewals. I cannot even imagine why any investor would go for a domain with higher than $50 renewals. The odds of losing money are too great. Most end users don't like paying premium prices and since it can take years for an ideal end user to approach you, high renewals almost guarantee failure.

•••
$1000+ renewal for a single domain? Do you own such a domain?

One can easily renew around 120+ "old gtld" domains for that price without coupons.

It's expensive. I suppose if the domain is registered to a company or individual to whom $1000+ renewal p.a. per domain is nothing, then there wouldn't be an issue- I just wonder how many registrants actually fall into this category. Probably very few.

I definitely don't... .xyz has some massive renewals.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back