NameSilo

Expected future of 4LLLL .com domains.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omerlevinson

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
I see the market and it seems that prices go down. What do you think the future of these domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IMO :

1- Value of 4L fluctuates up/down (with high risk) if you play the speculation game on chinese premium or uncategorized.
2- Value of 4L fluctuates up/down (with low risk) if you play the speculation game on western premium.
3- Value of 4L will go up if you play the brandable game on pronounceable / brandable.

I've been very bullish on 4L for over a year now and strongly play the #2 and #3 game.
I leave the very risky #1 to others.

•••
4L.com the garbage ones are being sold under $200 right now, in closed sale deals.

As mentioned the Chinese pumped this market, for reasons outside of domaining, the goal was to secure currency devaluation against their dollar, and to secure real estate offshore, most of them never cared 2 SH**ts about domains.

Don't get overly bullish on 4L.com, the few that sell for large dollars, are few, and far between.

Talk to a big portfolio holder outside the asian market pre 2014, and ask them the sell thru % of their 4L to end users.

Unless you own a portfolio of half decent 4L's in the few hundred, for many years, you don't understand the dynamics of this market outside the Chinese hoopla.

They had everyone fooled, and many are thankful to them for the opportunity.

What do you think the guy with 2000 4L.com chips is doing with them after he paid $2K each for them, developing them? No, simply renewing them, and quoting people, and corporations crazy prices, which are quickly declined.

I don't know why people don't understand chips could be bought for $15-25 back in 2013

The dynamics of the chip has not changed for end users, or corporations not operating in China. This is a domainer pay for play market.

Last edited:
•••
Interesting... why do you think that?
There was an article on NamePros in regards of HugeDomains buying up GoDaddy dropped auction domains. Some of the bids that are placed on some domains make you scratch your head of why those domains are getting those kind of high bids.
If you look at the trend, they all cap out at around $500 bucks.
Meaning that someone or something is up-bidding on GoDaddy auctions.
No matter if it's a Two Word.com, 4letter.com or even 5letter.com's they are selling for high figures.
But, isn't interesting when some of us domainers post a domain on GoDaddy auctions of similar character length, they don't get as many bids.
I'm sure you would agree if you have posted on GD auction lately.
Ever wonder why GoDaddy doesn't show you a (username) of who's bidding?
Why is it so anonymous?
Like this post if you agree with me or had similar experience on GoDaddy Auctions!

Last edited:
•••
I mean, HugeDomains definitely seems to be shafting their own customers.

4l are low at the moment. All liquids are down. Chinese market is down. Auctions are also very funny at the moment. Huge domains is definitely overpaying for domains making it impossible to buy something decent. It makes me wonder what's really going on in the market.

•••
I will keep my fingers crossed! But it sure doesn help when new extensions just keep poping out of nowhere.
next you will see .frog, .horse, .chicken, .cow .bird
Leave the animals alone!

•••
•••
How did you get 4L's for $30 months ago, they have actually come down off their highs of 2015/2016

Just a few dates and prices extracted from my data base
08/2014 $18,95
10/2014 $33,95
11/2014 $33,95
11/2014 $69,00
11/2014 $23,95
12/2014 $23,95
04/2015 $59,00
04/2015 $59,00
05/2015 $109,00
05/2015 $69,00
07/2015 $75,00

As you may guess, all are backorders at Pheenix and Namejet. Of course, you have to add the renewals, but still a good investment.

•••
I never believed in the stupid chinese market, i think is bogus, Though 4l with meaning/brandable will always be over xxx
Agreed. The market will gain intelligence and realize that CHIPs are not at prices that they should be and useless 4L.coms with random letter combinations are also overpriced. Pronouncable and Brandable 4L.coms I think will appreciate with value as more and more companies search for short meaningful domains.

•••
I mean, HugeDomains definitely seems to be shafting their own customers.

•••
I will keep my fingers crossed! But it sure doesn help when new extensions just keep poping out of nowhere.
next you will see .frog, .horse, .chicken, .cow .bird

•••
Charts on Shortnames don't lie.

Lately only CHIPs are going down. The other 2 dot com charts are showing signs of strenght, especially western premium.

So I don't see why people are bearish on 4L.com at the moment.

Only four 4L sold under 200 in auctions reported on Shortnames since the beginning of 2017.
3 of those 4 were on eBay/Bido which are not good platforms to sell.
The last one sold for 195 two weeks ago on GD. Pretty close to $200

So honestly I think the value of random/uncategorized 4L is quite steady between $200-$225 at the moment.

•••
Talk to the "old guys", 4 L has left a bad taste in our mouths.
When you say 'old guys' who specifically are you talking about? Guys who started in late 2015?
4L.com have done very well by people who bought at the right time and sold at the right time.
Maybe not as good as one word domains, but still, pretty good ROI.

Pronouncable and Brandable 4L.coms I think will appreciate with value as more and more companies search for short meaningful domains.
They always have been 'valuable' if you can build a business on them.
Brandable domains of all types routinely sell for $x,xxx and LLLL.coms are no exceptions.
Plus people will always look for short .com domains to brand their business on and that's not about to change.
And shorter domains are more 'prestigious', which is why 3L.com are $30k min, 2L.com are $300k min.
Also, by the prices above, 4L.com should actually be $1k minimum.

Chinese market is down.
I think a lot of new investors are getting a reality check in general.
Chips are not selling for as much as they expected.
More than a few of them are facing massive renewal bills for their new tld purchases.
And/Or are facing a LOT of upcoming drops, which has to hurt, even at reg fee.
.Com already had a 1.9 million names drop, that's a lot of wasted $$$.

When the truth of the matter is that a domain name either has intrinsic value, or it doesn't.
And if a domain has inherent value, you're can make way more through development than through a sale.

Though if you must sell, then at least takes Rick's advice and sell it, or jv with, the right end user.
And you only need one correct end user for the domain.

After all, not everyone knows the value of a precious stone, I even blogged about it a couple of days back -
"What’s the value of a domain name?"

•••
lol, calling a bottom is a fool's game, but if you have a long term view, then I think it is pretty cheap.

•••
IMO so far many people have been paying too much attention to chip vs non-chip, instead of how common / useful / valuable the actual 4 letter acronym is, VR is the one big exception to this right now, with them trading at considerably higher than the average "non-chip" 4L.

•••
They are dropping really bad, sell me your names for cheap :)

•••
They called liquid domains because the teardrops when you cry if you sale them too soon or too late ...... :xf.wink::xf.wink::xf.wink:

•••
I sense collusion to help drive down prices. Worthless b.s. and hearsay without real examples to back it up. I checked shortnames.com last night and see no substantial change over the past few weeks.

The burden of proof is on the naysayers.

By the way, one or two members selling crap random 4L at +/- $200 does not reflect the aftermarket.
Not sure that a few domainers having a discussion on the decline of prices would constitute 'collusion' to drive down prices....

•••
No he didnt, Did he just call me ALEX JONES? :cigar:
raw.gif

•••
I think you are too pessimistic. People are crazy. There is a zero value in bitcoins, a zero value in the pictures of so-called abstractionists. Everyone can paint such staff in few minutes and what? Crazy people continue to buy it for millions dollars.

•••
I think that all dips in the non-CHIP domains is a buy opportunity.

•••
I see the market and it seems that prices go down. What do you think the future of these domains?

Hi

you see the market?

but how long have you been in the market.... to know the true fluctuations and realize the differences between current values versus past?

and since all 'LLLL.com' are not the same, then as a whole, their values have to been seen in that perspective.

the appeal and variety of combinations, can make each individual domain, have a value of it's own, outside of any category it may "fit in".

there is no limit to what one could be worth!

lol, calling a bottom is a fool's game, but if you have a long term view, then I think it is pretty cheap.

as @Grade8 alluded to, you have to see the bigger picture and not just a snapshot view.

imo....

•••
Future is definitely bright, if you play it right!! ;)

•••
I'm currently selling some of my LLLL.com's that I bought for cheap months ago (from $30 to around $150) and I'll keep the ones I recently bought. Getting profits and minimizing risks. In the mid term, prices will go up with some waves in between.
How did you get 4L's for $30 months ago, they have actually come down off their highs of 2015/2016

•••
Nobody really cared about 4L's until the Chinese started pumping them.

Check namepro threads they used to be sold for $5, aftermarkets $15 all day long. Of course certain letters, and quad premium have always sold for more, but for collector levels of odd combinations of letters, end users are few, and far between.

These names just keep getting passed thru the hands of domainers, and domain investors alike.

Many Chinese domainers here have open threads selling there no chip domains also.

Not to long ago it used to be $300 floor, the $200 ceiling has been broken in sales that you are not seeing done in the open.

•••
but actually, there is no end user for the non chips domains? its just a game of resellers ?
cause if it isn't brandable why this domain so high?
They are high because they are traded like a commodity in relation to chips which are running maybe $1400 on average now. Since there is a finite number of 460,000 or so, and 160,000 chips, they trade them on scarcity.

It is a crapshoot really, I see a listing here on the forum that has been up for 4 days, at a BIN of $195, lots of V, but no takers. It is almost like playing hot potato, until you have a better name to play.

Many of the names I have held for years, without any traffic, or inquiries, I have sold, it is not hard to work thru the letters, and figure out not much can be made of most.

But each domain is different, and you have to figure it out for yourself.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back