Domain Empire

status-resolved Excessive Namepros Auction End-Times

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should 4 weeks after last bid auction end-times be allowed (it is now) on namepros?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    14.9%
  • No

votes
    85.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I recently saw some auctions with 4 weeks after last bid as end-time on namepros. They (staff) said open a thread about it so here it is:

" At this time there is no rule violation regarding the end time. I would suggest creating a thread in the NamePros comments and feedback forum regarding this issue with the end time so other members can also participate and management can review the suggestion. I hope this helps."

Should there be a rule against "excessive auction end-times?" What do you think of 4 weeks after last bid, should namepros allow that or not?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wouldn't even bother bidding on that non-sense.

•••
I think domain auctions on NP's should max out at no longer than 7 days. Although I would personally prefer to see it shorter at say 5 days. Most people who may have bid on an auction with a 4 week open auction time, are not going to search past the top 20 pages looking for their open bids. I rarely go past the last 10 pages, already. It has the potential to start many more arguments/disputes. IMHO.

•••
From reading the posts in this thread so far, I can guess what I'm about to say wont be very popular.
Please understand this is my opinion as a member and not as a moderator and in my opinion it's really simple.
I'm just not comfortable having others decide how long my Auction should run.

The OP / seller now can and should always be allowed to set any end time they choose, it is their Auction.

The end time is clearly posted in the thread (as per NP rules) and if, as a potential buyer, you think the end time is excessive, pass it by or wait for a possible BIN that you feel comfortable with.

I appreciate others opinions, and I can see why in this particular instance the members / potential buyers would consider 4 weeks too long for the Auction to conclude, however, some members only visit a few times a month and the seller should have the opportunity to have their sale viewed by every possible buyer.

Daniel, you started the bidding knowing full well what the end time was, as did everyone else that bid.
Apparently you, and everyone else in that thread decided the name was worth the OP's posted options.

Now, I'm wearing my asbestos suit Ladies & Gentlemen, so flame away. :)

Peace,
Kenny

Edit:
I see that the OP has requested to change the end time to suit the posters in this thread.
Auction rules prohibit this action and it would be up to Management to make an exception in this instance.
I think that would be a mistake and set a bad precedent for future Auctions.

Last edited:
•••
There are excellent points on both sides of this (even our team is split on it), but we've ultimately decided to not create a rule for it at this time. We want to keep auctions as flexible as possible and let the market decide whether it's a good idea by whether buyers decide to participate, and it would hinder that open market if we set rules for each unusual or undesirable type of auction that could be created. We offer suggestions of how to create auctions through templates, but we want sellers to have freedom to try different things.

Instead of a rule, if members see a New Member doing this (Or anything else that is uncommon or undesirable), we recommend politely and professionally reaching out to them in a DM to let them know that it is not standard and may result in less people bidding in their auction, which could cause the seller to change their auction before a bid is placed (Which is allowed).

Another solution is that if a bidder really wants a domain name that has this issue, they can negotiate a BIN with the seller or place a very large bid on the auction that ensures they won't be outbid again (And thus, the auction won't be extended).

As always, buyers should not bid in an auction unless they agree with all of the terms set by the seller. If the seller has set terms that don't make sense or are impractical, we hope that veteran members will help guide them or offer advice to them in a DM so that the seller can decide whether that's what they really want.

Thanks for your feedback that helped us take all angles into consideration while making this decision.

Edit: If anything seems too unreasonable (e.g., auction ends 500 days after last bid), please report it to us, and a moderator will decide if this rule applies:
  • Rule 6.2.12. Auction formats, details, terms, and rules created by sellers must be reasonable, transparent, specific, predictable, and sensible.

Last edited:
•••
All I can say is that I was interested in bidding in that auction, but once I saw the 4 week thing I decided not to bid. IMO at Namepros the max that an auction is open after the last bid should maybe 4 days or at most a week.

•••
Someone may have already mentioned this, but just in case:

Newcomers might not be aware that it's unusual for the duration after the last bid to be longer than 7 days or so. While it would be nice if we could let people do whatever they want (per @Kenny's argument), in reality, I think it's unlikely that anyone would be adamant about running auctions with such long end times. Implementing a rule would give newbies a chance to correct their mistake and attract more bids. That's not to say everyone who opts for a longer end time is new, but the majority of affected people probably would be.

•••
Can't add any more than what has already been said here. OP has a valid point (y)

•••
It won't give me the slightest interest in joining an NP auction with a 4-week end time.

•••
5 Days is fair enough to get maximum attraction. JMO

•••
•••
Hi Kenny,

Yes. I previously set the end date at 4 weeks after last bid. Having read all the above comments, i'd be happy to set to a week. As im not looking to cause any disputes.

what do you think?

thank you

•••
Thanks @DanBeck.

Like I said, I voted no in the poll & I would reset it to a week if the MOD lets me.

Thanks to all. I wish I never set it to 4 weeks in the first place :xf.smile:.

At least it looks like this will result in a new rule that seems to be attracting the majority here. a 7 day rule.

•••
I agree that the length of an auction should be at the seller's discretion. Whether or not bidders like the set time will determine if they bid or not. I personally cringe when I see long auction times after the last bid.

(Is it within the rules to do a "pre-release" where interested buyers can pm a pre-release bid, then when the actual auction starts, only their bids are accepted?)
:)

•••
48 hours after last bid is more than enough otherwise it can go on for weeks and weeks anyway. Any more than this and I don't even bid. As many above have said, a long end time works against the seller as people won't participate.

If however the auction is a fixed length (no "after last bid" stipulation), 4 weeks would only be the same as a Flippa listing so probably not that bad.

•••
I already thought 96 hours was too much, maybe cap it at that

•••
Respect to @marcddd for offering to change it

For what it's worth, IMO something that drawn out kind of defeats the purpose of holding the auctions on NP. From a sellers perspective, if it was me, I'd prefer to get it over and done with really. 7 days seems like enough of a lead-time. Plus I would never be off the auction page :)

Last edited:
•••
Kenny,

Thank you for your honest opinion. Please note, was never my intention to cause any disputes, honestly.

In any case, I everyone will be pleasantly surprised in a few days, because i'll be setting a modest BIN price.

Just trying to make a sale here ladies & gentlemen.

Thanks again Kenny
Hello marcddd,

You didn't do anything wrong so don't sweat it. It's your Auction and everyone that bid knew in advance what the end time was.
Everything posted here is opinion and it is up to Management to make a call.

Peace,
Kenny

•••
(Is it within the rules to do a "pre-release" where interested buyers can pm a pre-release bid, then when the actual auction starts, only their bids are accepted?) :)
Excellent idea!

I think it could be done, but it'd have to be all very clearly outlined and explained in the thread.

Here's a related post:
Another option is that sellers could handle the credibility vetting themselves, but it would be a lot of work on their part. However, there's nothing stopping a seller from doing this:
  1. State at the beginning of the auction that everyone who bids must be approved by the seller before they can bid.
  2. Buyers send a DM to the seller asking for permission, and the seller decides if the request is granted.
  3. Seller keeps updating a list of approved bidders in the first post of the auction thread, and anyone who bids must be in that list at the time of their bid.

Hope that helps,

•••
Duh! 4 weeks?. I'd rather go on a vacation. 7 days at max is what the end time should be.

•••
Hi everyone,

So ok you're referring to the auction I initiated.

In support of all of you here & the community, if you manage to get them to allow me to adjust the end time, i'll change it to 10 days.

Not looking to create disputes here.

Thank you,

•••
Plus you've just got a bunch of free promo for your listing hahahah

•••
72 hours would get it done, 96hours is excessive. ESPECIALLY when there are 24 hour bumps permitted to raise your auction to the top of visibility.

GoDaddy allows 5 minutes from the end of an auction to get your bid in. What person can't get their bid in within three days???

•••
I think 3 days is quite sufficient. If one wants more than that, the sale can be posted in "make offer" forum or "buy it now". As long as it is open, it means the seller is looking for a better price(bid). Isn't that similar to waiting for the best offer? This is my personal opinion. Thanks

•••
I think 97 hours after the last bid should be the limit.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back