Dynadot

discuss Exact Match Result

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dennisok

Established Member
Impact
Hey NPs which of the following is to be considered more important when checking on domain names to buy?

1.Exact Match Result
2.Monthly Search Result

Thanks for sharing your thought!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If your domain is not brand-able then you should certainly look at both.Exact Match + Monthly Search Volume

Ideally if u can get an exact match that has good monthly search volume then great!

•••
As was already said, both are useful. But just to add one more thing to the equation - there are a lot of variables that can impact a domain's value. Sometimes a domain has fairly low search results and monthly searches, but high ad competition and high CPC. This is usually the sign of a strong niche - that has money to make it worthwhile. Another thing I have seen is with keywords that have decent searches and/or search results but little business usage - sure there is some value in the domain, but not as high as may appear based on their search stats. If the searches are due to 12 year old girls that want to look up funny kitty pictures - sure, there is some value, but it doesn't compare to searches due to consumers looking to buy a product.

These are just two examples, but remember not to put all your eggs into specific "stats". There are many other factors/stats that can play in it and often it comes down to knowing the industry and experience. Don't simply buy a domain because of x stat - learn WHY that makes it good. Learn WHY a buyer would want it (aka, how will this make them $$).

I personally recommend focusing on industries that you are familiar with and/or are interested in and learning them better before over expanding. Too often I have seen domainers (including myself at times!) trying to handle too many of the various "fields" of domaining. :)

Hope this helps!

•••
Thanks @domainy, i'm interested in a domain that has the following result in it:

1. Monthly Search Result >387000
2.Exact Match >34

...not sure if i should continue the buying process cause of it low Exact Match Result.

•••
Thanks @domainy, i'm interested in a domain that has the following result in it:

1. Monthly Search Result >387000
2.Exact Match >34

...not sure if i should continue the buying process cause of it low Exact Match Result.

That sounds very low, but as I said my post above, those two stats are not enough to evaluate the purchase of a domain. :)

If only buying based on those stats, you definitely would not want to do it.

•••
...though has a good keyword.

•••
...though has a good keyword.

I guess the question is, how are you defining it to be a good keyword? I understand you may not want to share it here, but there needs to be some reason you feel it is good?

•••
yea, it's a popular keywords, two word combination.

•••
yea, it's a popular keywords, two word combination.

Popular by themselves? or together? With those type of search results, they don't sound like very popular keywords (only 34 searches per month done on Google)???

I guess more context is needed, but it doesn't sound like they are popular. Are they two words that go together as keywords or is a more of two works that are popular that sound nice together as a brand (i.e., "Red Bull")??

•••
If you are registering to resell, put on the buyer's spectacles and ask yourself, why would I buy this? If you find a reasonable answer, go for it. There are many words which had no search value before registration but are established websites now.

•••
Hey NPs which of the following is to be considered more important when checking on domain names to buy?

1.Exact Match Result
2.Monthly Search Result

Thanks for sharing your thought!

Could you post a concrete example in order to avoid misunderstanding?

•••
if you already own the domain, would it make sense to just post it so it can be discussed without guessing?

•••
I think exact match is more important because that speaks to the popularity of the phrase in the domain itself, which is what you're buying. It can even give you a rough indication of type-in traffic.

But broad match is also important because it speaks to how much traffic you could get if a site was developed and ranking for many of the related phrases. This may boost the value of the domain a bit, but because it requires work and/or money to realize the benefit and it isn't guaranteed that you rank for these ancillary phrases, the impact on price should be pretty limited.

Something sounds very wrong with 34 exact match and 387k broad match. What tool are you using? It might be giving some bad results as far as what searches it considers to be broadly matched.

•••
•••

Aside from their wildly off appraisals, I have found that their stats are not always accurate either.... try Google Adwords Keyword Planner (FREE!! You can create a free account and run an actual ad campaign).

•••
•••
No problem, glad to help.

Aside from their wildly off appraisals, I have found that their stats are not always accurate either.... try Google Adwords Keyword Planner (FREE!! You can create a free account and run an actual ad campaign).
Just noticed a typo, but cannot edit my post - I meant to say WITHOUT running an actual ad campaign. :)

•••

1.Exact Match Result
2.Monthly Search Result
Neither. I just posted about this a bit in this post.

•••
c-h-a-t

has a lot of search results
but nobody will ever search it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back