Domain Empire

opinion Every fool can sell a domain name (I sold artshop.io)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

siyavuya

Established Member
Impact
If you ask me how I did it? The answer is I have no idea.
Most people here pointed out that artshop.io is a rubbish domain and I found myself in tears crying.
I didn't want anything to do with it. I wanted it gone.

But, guess what
It gave me my first sell. Now I absolutely love it because it proves to me that it can be done.
I can actually buy and sell domain names.

If I can do it I believe that each and every person can too.

To all the people who shared words of encouragement I really appreciate it.

I know it's going to be a long journey but I know that it's going to be worth it.
The hardest sell to make is always the first one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My areas of competence is driving paid traffic and conversions through funnels
Like I stated earlier I have to identify at least 100 people who might benefit from having what ever site I'm building before I even start with it. I believe the odds of selling those site will be better than just a domain. I'm a newbie the chances of being wrong are high.

Can you explain what a funnel is in this sense please? I am (as my Adsense reports prove :xf.wink:) an ineffective newbie when it comes to content online monetization so look forward to learning from your explanation.

Thanks,

Bob

•••
Can you please makeup your mind?

HeHe.... just goes to show how you can quote something out of context to make it look how you want.

This is what I actually said...

I have built lots of websites, but they actually run real businesses and are not template mockups.

•••
@MapleDots
First off it seems I offended you by my question, it was not my intent. You have contributed to this forum in multiple ways in your 1 year membership including sales, Technics and how to's and for that I'm personally grateful as should many others. Thank you.

Lets backtrack a bit so everyone understands The OP's @siyavuya self posted future Goal(s) in the Domain industry..

These are the things I'm going to make sure I can deliver on before buying any domain
1. Build a site that can be monetized
2. Build traffic to the site (Paid traffic for faster results and seo for long term and perceived value)
3. Collect leads from the site. The list of leads is key to the sell.
4. Have funnels up-selling
Lead gen and conversions are areas of strength for me and I can see how I'm going to really have fun
in the domain space.
I can't wait for the next domain/site that I will share with everyone here.

Then you posted the following..

So what are you going to do, build websites for 250 domains or so?
I would focus more on the domains themselves and how you will get them to an end user as opposed to trying to monetize them. The time spent building websites that will probably fail would be better spent hunting for viable domains at auction. Build a network of people you can trust and buy and sell what you see actually selling to end users.

My question to you @MapleDots should have been this...

Have you ever purchased a domain name, developed it with the intent to monetize it be it Affiliate or dropship? If so... how many and what was your Win/fail ratio?

The reason I asked that question is because the highlighted section in your quote is a pretty BOLD claim.

If I may ask another question what do you consider a "Real Business" are you referring to Brick and Mortar?

•••
This thread is pretty much over

•••
My question to you @MapleDots should have been this...

Have you ever purchased a domain name, developed it with the intent to monetize it be it Affiliate or dropship? If so... how many and what was your Win/fail ratio?

The reason I asked that question is because the highlighted section in your quote is a pretty BOLD claim.

If I may ask another question what do you consider a "Real Business" are you referring to Brick and Mortar?

Tossing up a mock website might work on a small scale but its not possible if you own 1000 or so domains. I simply point the domains to my lander and have it do the work. The lander is a business site and it makes no difference if I run one or 1000 domains from it. It is not a mock site but a real business site and that is all I am trying to say. A mock web sites reeks of desperation and I just bought one from another prominent domainer who has been doing just that. I picked it up for 5k and I never even asked him for the site, I just wanted the domain. I remember when I looked at the site I chuckled because I knew it was a site trying to be something but every link ran into a dead end of some sort.

I build online stores and websites that actually turn a profit, I just sold one for more money than I could ever hope to make at domaining. The store ran a profit and I sold it along with a set of 3 domains. I retained 10% ownership and a seat on the board. The entire transaction only netted me about 35k for the domains but much much more than that for the actual PROFITABLE business website. I will call it a website for comparison purposes but it was actually an online store.

The amount of time spent setting up a mock website would be better spent setting up a real online business. I drop shipped all the products on this store so the grunt shipping was done by a third party and the sales and marketing was done by me. It was a private label site that was starting to rival corporate websites and thus the buyout.

I wish I had the time to go looking for the Rick Schwartz article that talks about this as well. He pretty much laughs at anyone trying to develop a website without a profitable business running upon it.

•••
Tossing up a mock website might work on a small scale but its not possible if you own 1000 or so domains. I simply point the domains to my lander and have it do the work. The lander is a business site and it makes no difference if I run one or 1000 domains from it. It is not a mock site but a real business site and that is all I am trying to say. A mock web sites reeks of desperation and I just bought one from another prominent domainer who has been doing just that. I picked it up for 5k and I never even asked him for the site, I just wanted the domain. I remember when I looked at the site I chuckled because I knew it was a site trying to be something but every link ran into a dead end of some sort.

I build online stores and websites that actually turn a profit, I just sold one for more money than I could ever hope to make at domaining. The store ran a profit and I sold it along with a set of 3 domains. I retained 10% ownership and a seat on the board. The entire transaction only netted me about 35k for the domains but much much more than that for the actual PROFITABLE business website. I will call it a website for comparison purposes but it was actually an online store.

The amount of time spent setting up a mock website would be better spent setting up a real online business. I drop shipped all the products on this store so the grunt shipping was done by a third party and the sales and marketing was done by me. It was a private label site that was starting to rival corporate websites and thus the buyout.

I wish I had the time to go looking for the Rick Schwartz article that talks about this as well. He pretty much laughs at anyone trying to develop a website without a profitable business running upon it.

If I may ask. You can choose not to disclose.
That business you sold was dropshipping products in Canada only, or Canada & US?

•••
Congrats. It's always a nice feeling to have the first sale and be part of this business.

Stay Blessed!

•••
Congrats on your first sale.
Don't listen to what other people say about you negatively!

•••
Can you explain what a funnel is in this sense please? I am (as my Adsense reports prove :xf.wink:) an ineffective newbie when it comes to content online monetization so look forward to learning from your explanation.

Thanks,

Bob
That's easy. A funnel is just a process you take people through.
Example; I can give you something for free to build a relationship
followed by selling you something cheap to turn you into a customer
then keep up-selling you over time to higher priced services
I like to use story selling emails. I send two emails a day to my list.

•••
Congrats on your first sale.
Don't listen to what other people say about you negatively!
Trust me I have started to ignore the bad comments. At first it was getting to me

•••
Then your plan to sell websites instead of domains might be a good idea after all.
The more value people see the more chances of a sell. Just the name is hard because one can easily find a different one for a better price.

•••
•••
•••
So there you have it @siyavuya and everyone reading.

You have @frank-germany a two year newb which after a year of having namepros countless resources on "How to close a sale" failing to do so by using a kindergarten crayon method and spammy payment links.
Yet he places you on his "Ignore" list because you accomplished what he couldn't within a month.

Then we have @MapleDots who admits he doesn't build websites suggesting you would most likely fail at something he never even tried.

All I need in this thread now is a priest and a donkey and I have my next sitcom script.

F.Y.I to all...
A ready set website takes under two hours to create and if that "ONE" website makes $15 you paid for your next renewal and would never have to drop a domain.

Show attachment 111632
Having sites that make some money will give me more time to sell them without worrying about the renewal like you have pointed out. I want to make the sites that people actually want to own. I know there's no room for being lazy. Thank you for your valuable input

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Congratulations on the first step. I sold my first step just a few months ago, but that doesn't mean I'm making a profit, but I'm enjoying the process. If you are interested in.io please let me know, because I have a lot of very meaningful.io domain names.
Can you send me a list to see please but I have been warned here to stay away from .io until I have more experience. It should be foolish to ignore good advise from more experienced people but at the same time I might miss out on a big opportunity by not at least looking.

•••
I might miss out on a big opportunity by not at least looking.
Don't look.
34.JPG

You learn more by failing with .com.

•••
Every fool can sell a domain name, but not every fool can make money (including you).
You sold that domain because it was cheaper than reg. fees. A single sale doesn't mean that more will come. Spend your money carefully. Just my two cents.

•••
•••
Every fool can sell a domain name, but not every fool can make money (including you).
You sold that domain because it was cheaper than reg. fees. A single sale doesn't mean that more will come. Spend your money carefully. Just my two cents.
I lost money on one domain that doesn't mean much to me. I have made a lot of money in many businesses and almost all of them I have made short term losses with long term gains. I wanted to get to know the process and I had to make a small loss. By the looks of it you don't understand the value of going through the process even if it costs you. I will make a lot of money from this. Just stick around and pay attention.

•••
Conratz on the sale (y)

“I’m convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance.” –Steve Jobs

one of my favourite business quotes........keep going!

•••
You sold it? How much you get?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back