Dynadot

opinion Every fool can sell a domain name (I sold artshop.io)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

siyavuya

Established Member
Impact
If you ask me how I did it? The answer is I have no idea.
Most people here pointed out that artshop.io is a rubbish domain and I found myself in tears crying.
I didn't want anything to do with it. I wanted it gone.

But, guess what
It gave me my first sell. Now I absolutely love it because it proves to me that it can be done.
I can actually buy and sell domain names.

If I can do it I believe that each and every person can too.

To all the people who shared words of encouragement I really appreciate it.

I know it's going to be a long journey but I know that it's going to be worth it.
The hardest sell to make is always the first one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congrats! a $5 loss is better than a $25 loss :)

•••
Congrats! a $5 loss is better than a $25 loss :)
Thank you. I'm really not looking at it as a loss because there are lessons in it. I learnt to transfer a domain :xf.grin:

•••
Thank you. I'm really not looking at it as a loss because there are lessons in it. I learnt to transfer a domain :xf.grin:
GREAT attitude! Hopefully there are a few other lessons you can take away from all of this as well.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

Last edited:
•••
Congrats! Good attitude and positive thinking, I'm sure you'll end up selling many more in the future. Keep it up.

•••
GREAT attitude! Hopefully there are a few other lessons you can take away from all of this as well.

Congratulations and Good Luck!
Thank you. The other lesson is stand by your domain. There's a reason someone just bought it. I saw something in it and I let other people's opinions affect how I feel about it :(

•••
Not trying to burst your bubble, but you made a loss on the domain. That's not something to boast about.

However, it shows that your domain was worth at least something which is more than can be said for most domainers.

•••
looks like the buyer put it up on an aftermarket site

imo...

•••
Thank you. The other lesson is stand by your domain. There's a reason someone just bought it. I saw something in it and I let other people's opinions affect how I feel about it :(
Actually, one of the first lessons you should have learned is NOT to get emotionally attached to a domain unless it is for your own personal use.

Other lessons might be:
  • Don't "invest" any money in domaining that you aren't willing or can't afford to lose.
  • Just because a domain name might be a nice combination of words doesn't mean it will have much (if any) value or liquidity.
  • The domain extension WILL effect the overall desirabilty (and value) of the domain despite the words that precede the dot.
  • You need to read and learn more before you spend a lot of money chasing domaining.
  • People are willing to help you learn if you are open to and can accept honest feedback. And yes, there are some jerks out their that are just trying to be nasty - or maybe just have poor interpersonal communication skills. But as demonstrated in the other thread about your domain, there are plenty of people that will try to help if you are willing to listen.
There are more lessons but I have to run... Again, good luck.

•••
Actually, one of the first lessons you should have learned is NOT to get emotionally attached to a domain unless it is for your own personal use.

Other lessons might be:
  • Don't "invest" any money in domaining that you aren't willing or can't afford to lose.
  • Just because a domain name might be a nice combination of words doesn't mean it will have much (if any) value or liquidity.
  • The domain extension WILL effect the overall desirabilty (and value) of the domain despite the words that precede the dot.
  • You need to read and learn more before you spend a lot of money chasing domaining.
  • People are willing to help you learn if you are open to and can accept honest feedback. And yes, there are some jerks out their that are just trying to be nasty - or maybe just have poor interpersonal communication skills. But as demonstrated in the other thread about your domain, there are plenty of people that will try to help if you are willing to listen.
There are more lessons but I have to run... Again, good luck.
Wow thank you for pointing these lessons out. I appreciate you and everyone that has taken the time to help me. Thank you

•••
•••
why do u say its first time u earn usd if u say u lost 5$?

people say it is clickbait title cause everyone who click this thread expected u to have made money profit here... and i do mean everyone

hopefully u learned some lessons here...and in future u can make real profit... gl ;)

•••
Not trying to burst your bubble, but you made a loss on the domain. That's not something to boast about.

However, it shows that your domain was worth at least something which is more than can be said for most domainers.
I'm really not trying to boast about anything. I'm sorry if I come across that way

•••
why do u say its first time u earn usd if u say u lost 5$?

people say it is clickbait title cause everyone who click this thread expected u to have made money profit here... and i do mean everyone

hopefully u learned some lessons here...and in future u can make real profit... gl ;)
I meant this is the first time someone sent me US$. English is my 12th language so please forgive me. I'm trying my level best.

•••
I meant this is the first time someone sent me US$. English is my 12th language so please forgive me. I'm trying my level best.
Wow. 12th language huh

•••
•••
•••
Where are you getting $20 .io? $35 is the best i could find with GD

$35? I just searched for a .IO at GD and it came up as $49.99, marked down from $59.99!

hF0gw8p.png

Is GD selling domains to different IP addresses at different prices?

Where are you getting $20 .io? $35 is the best i could find with GD

Can you please explain a bit more

It means nothing. Clickbait means you started this thread with a title that makes people click but when they get here there is nothing of value to see.

The internet is a cruel place because no one has to answer for themselves. People like that usually go to bed at night curled up, in the fetal position sucking their thumb, repeating "mommy", holding a bottle of whiskey. :xf.grin: Pay no mind.

•••
I think there is another thing you have to keep in mind. While online appraisal tools are nearly worthless, so are appraisals from humans. I don't mean to be rude to domainers, but many have a myopic view in their appraisals and only look at a domain through a lens of a domainer. A good appraisal is one that takes into account the psychology of an end-user and also realizing that MOST end-users are not very savvy when it comes to a good domain from a marketing standpoint.

•••
$35? I just searched for a .IO at GD and it came up as $49.99, marked down from $59.99!

I'm in the GD Discount Domain Club or whatever they call it.

•••
•••
From the first domain a lot of lessons have been learnt thanks to this site. I have even upgraded to a full member so that I can take full advantage of this site. Moving forward I plan to play this domain game at the highest level only.

These are the things I'm going to make sure I can deliver on before buying any domain
1. Build a site that can be monetized
2. Build traffic to the site (Paid traffic for faster results and seo for long term and perceived value)
3. Collect leads from the site. The list of leads is key to the sell.
4. Have funnels up-selling

Lead gen and conversions are areas of strength for me and I can see how I'm going to really have fun
in the domain space.
I can't wait for the next domain/site that I will share with everyone here.

You are definitely growing in the right direction.
If you are going in direction of wordpress, send me a PM.
I have plenty of Themes/ Plugins and resources that might benefit you.
Good luck and chin up.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats on the sale. However, in fairness, it is still not a good domain.

Your thread "Is it me or My domain?" received a lot of good responses by forum members.

I appreciate the responses and directness of forum members. I would rather someone tell me what I don't want to hear that is true, than just tell me something I want to hear. You don't learn much that way.

Consistently making sales is based on likelihood of sales. You can't build a business on outliers so you need to stack the odds in your own favor with good domains.

Brad

Spot on!

Being nice is obviously a good thing, but when people need advices regarding domaining, it’s one hundred times better being straightforward and honest, even if the answers includes criticism.

And somewhat off topic...

It’s not that strange that domainers who have spent thousands of hours doing this are getting a little “provoked” (or just smile) when newbies are telling them that domaining is all about luck.

Congrats on your sale, siyavuya!

•••
1st sale is special even if it was with little loss.. so congrats and best of luck

•••
Yes, it's still a sale. A pro domainer chose it, meaning it has some value apparently. We don't have to make profit from every domain. GL.

•••
I think there is another thing you have to keep in mind. While online appraisal tools are nearly worthless, so are appraisals from humans. I don't mean to be rude to domainers, but many have a myopic view in their appraisals and only look at a domain through a lens of a domainer. A good appraisal is one that takes into account the psychology of an end-user and also realizing that MOST end-users are not very savvy when it comes to a good domain from a marketing standpoint.
This is a very good point. Estibot will say this and godaddy appraisal tool will say the opposite. When I bought my domain I thought it was a steal until I came here. Now I have no idea how to go around the valuations.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back