NameSilo

question Ever use a fake company intro to sell a domain? (Not what you think!)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
so the question was.

Anyone ever try a using a fake company intro to sell a domain?

let me explain. No. I'm not talking about those spammy Chinese or India offshore services trying to sell you close to expiring domains.

I'm talking about your own outgoing emails to endusers.

hear me out. I was thinking what if instead of sending out email after email of abcde.com for sale and saying how great it is. why not give the potential enduser a "real world" example for your domain?

Nothing (I think) is better than showing them the "intro" for a domain to be used by a company.

I'm sure you've all seen the intro's of companies using their domains.

for example say like Chicken.com

"At Chicken.com we serve only thee best Organic Free Range Chicken on the planet! Our Chickens are happy Chickens. We feed them nothing but the best organic feeds with no pestisides. No expense was spared to provide you thee best Chicken in the world! We can ship our Chicken right to your door in vacuum sealed packaging. We can also season our chicken with one of our 12 proprietary blends of herbs and spices. Live life healthier and free of GMO's. At Chicken.com you know the peace of mind knowing you are eating the Best Chicken money can buy. Healthy = Long Live. You can live a little? or you can Life longer! Your Choice really! Want the best for your family? Then buy Chicken from Chicken.com! You'll be glad you did!"

cmon! if you gave some Chicken company that pitch?

what do you think? is it a stupid idea? or what?

The intro above could in "theory" be tweaked to use for pretty much any domain. At the very least it won't be the typical domain sales email I usually get.

like " blahblahblah.com is for sale. $50K or best offer. Thanks."

sounds so impersonal and robotic. comes off spammy right off the bat.

sure it's easy and efficient because it's generic. just send it out with no name of the person you are emailing it to (in most cases) and see who bites.

most companies (I'm guessing) want real world applications for the domain you are trying to sell them. and what's better than a company intro for the domain?

besides most endusers think we just pulled these domains out of thin air and that they could have come up with it themselves and therefore you don't deserve to get whatever price you are asking for it. ( but I bet you they are kicking themselves for not thinking it faster than you did!)

Opinions wanted. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not replying to the person above.. I'm continuing a thread I created.

anyone else care to contribute their 2 cents other than rants? feel free disregard all the useless Trolling above. All are Welcome!

so we left with Kate saying that using this tactic will be considered spamming. and I agree. but Kate also said perhaps this can be useful if and when an enduser replies to the usual.

"Hi I have blahblah.com domain. Price $50K. Please send offers."

does anyone else agree that the original approach made by OP (me) would be useful post reply from enduser? could it work you think?

•••
I love your enthusiasm @Avtar629 , however there are better ways to sell domains.

The best advice I can give to you, and to anyone reading this thread, is to do research on general sales strategies and marketing psychology.

Make those two subjects your mistress, and then you will have the answer to any question you will have on how to sell anything; especially domains.

I've been online and developing since 1999; and I learn new things every day.

The first part of gaining knowledge is humbling yourself, leaving your container open to new concepts, and taking the time to apply what you learn.

Most people won't take the time to do any of this... so set yourself apart from the fray and arm yourself with the knowledge that will help you succeed my friend.

•••
I love your enthusiasm @Avtar629 , however there are better ways to sell domains.

The best advice I can give to you, and to anyone reading this thread, is to do research on general sales strategies and marketing psychology.

Make those two subjects your mistress, and then you will have the answer to any question you will have on how to sell anything; especially domains.

I've been online and developing since 1999; and I learn new things every day.

The first part of gaining knowledge is humbling yourself, leaving your container open to new concepts, and taking the time to apply what you learn.

Most people won't take the time to do any of this... so set yourself apart from the fray and arm yourself with the knowledge that will help you succeed my friend.

AGREED. and yes always always. I am stubborn at times but who isn't sometimes? I'll learn eventually. and maybe the hard way. but that's all on me. and damn! since 1999? wow! you must be rich by now! own some private island somewhere in the Caribbean. lol

Thanks.

•••
since 1999? wow! you must be rich by now!

Haha, I wish. I've had my successes for sure, but I've also had my failures.

I plan on launching two dev projects and increasing domaining activities; those are my goals for 2017.

•••
Good names sell for themselves, no need to cheat. End users get it or they don't.
The best sales pitch is... the domain itself.

I expected someone would make this statement, and I think it is true.

I think it takes a certain type of person to understand the true value of a name.

Most people think domain names are worth just a reg fee.

Most people don't know there is a huge market for domains.

•••
I believe kate has answered the question perfectly, all these things may bring slight good impression but at the end will prove to be pointless/useless if the domain is not worth, or if they are not interested in the name. only one thing matters for the sale, the name itself.

This can work well with some of other industries. but not while selling domain. in fact contrarily this might make you sound spammy to the buyer and piss him off :D

In my little experience of outbound and conversations with the buyers,i have learnt what works best is straight to the point email. exceptions are everywhere but generally simply your name, domain and your asking price thats it. then further frank and easy negotiations if any.

PS @Avtar629 members like me appreciate and like your posts/questions, you absolute rock. keep it up. :D

Last edited:
•••
Good names sell for themselves, no need to cheat. End users get it or they don't.

Wonderful!

•••
I don't think @Avtar629 is advocating cheating, Kate. In his usual way roundabout way, he's pitching a sales strategy of creating a mock up landing pages to entice prospective buyers. At times, sales pitches are even more important than the product itself, so there is some merit to his idea.

•••
I think anything that is done whether it be large or small helps in some ways . You need to stand out from the rest as we live such busy lives so anything worth a shot good on ya mate i like your posts if not anything they are entertaining and your passion is great so we here should always encourage passionate people.

•••
I think anything that is done whether it be large or small helps in some ways . You need to stand out from the rest as we live such busy lives so anything worth a shot good on ya mate i like your posts if not anything they are entertaining and your passion is great so we here should always encourage passionate people.

Thanks Augmented. Much appreciated. I post to help others and maybe break the boredom on here. I try to find the "middle". Business in the front. Party in the back. :xf.grin:

•••
I don't think @Avtar629 is advocating cheating, Kate. In his usual way roundabout way, he's pitching a sales strategy of creating a mock up landing pages to entice prospective buyers. At times, sales pitches are even more important than the product itself, so there is some merit to his idea.

actually sorry. I'm not even pitching THAT. too much work. just in the outbounds to give potential endusers and idea of what this domain has the potential for.

As these say in business or marketing. you really have 15 seconds to "pitch" someone on your business. giving them domain of your business should be part of that first half of that 15 seconds.

the intro is the rest.

but I've been informed by Kate already that it comes off as spammy so I take a back seat to her experience. I'm new here after all.

•••
Invest in better names and keep it as simple as possible.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back