IT.COM

Estibot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
do these guys get paid by estibot or something?

Yes, we do get paid by Estibot.

We have 6 sponsors on DomainSherpa. They can be viewed on the upper right-hand corner of the interview page. Sponsors pay to be associated with our content, which we then give away for free to people who want to learn about domain name investing.

So, just like free TV, sponsors are paying for your access to viewers of our shows.

I mean everyone on np knows estibot is not the place to go. whats up

There are a lot of people who say that Estibot valuations are not accurate, are a waste of money, and that only gullible or naive domain name investors would use their service.

This is not true.

Experienced domain name investors use the Estibot service daily, but not primarily for the valuation — what you would expect if you were to look at the tool.

Experienced domain name investors use the tool to discover:
  • The order of magnitude valuation if it were to sell in a retail transaction.
  • If any domain in a large list of for-sale domains is worth looking at in greater detail.
  • The underlying critical data that shows domain name value, like exact match search volume, cost-per-click of advertising for the exact match search phrase, what other domain extensions are registered, and whether it has type-in traffic.
The first part of the brandable domain name, Estibot, is "esti", derived from the word estimation. It provides an order of magnitude estimation of the value of a domain name in most cases: exact match, generic, numeric, acronym, and alphanumerics. Estibot is not a good estimation tool for invented brandables or keyword brandable domain names.

At no point should an experienced investor rely on an estimation of the value of a domain name. Critical thought always needs to be applied.

Hope that helps with your questions, Alcy.

•••
Experienced domain name investors use the tool to discover:
Hopefully I don't come off to sound malicious here — I thank you for paying the tab at the pub and if I ever make it out to Seattle again for a conference, I got you back during happy hour — but, name three experienced domain name investors (other than yourself and paid advertisers as there is bias here) that use Estibot for decision-making.

The thing is junk and I hope you really don't believe those key points yourself. I know that they're a paid advertiser, and, you need to back them up as part of your moral contract with them by doing so in public or they'd probably pull their paid advertising contract.
The underlying critical data that shows domain name value, like exact match search volume, cost-per-click of advertising for the exact match search phrase, what other domain extensions are registered, and whether it has type-in traffic.
The problem with this statement is that the data is out of date. Who in this business would ever base their decision on data that's out of date? I certainly wouldn't.

Case in point, engine.com; let's take a look at the underlying critical data for that (apart from the valuation that's not even arguably junk unto itself). As Keyword Planner has been updated, the 300K exact match may be correct as I am seeing 100K-1M on my side. However, I'm also seeing that the suggested bid is $0.83 and not $1.56 as shown by Estibot. This number is very important when it comes to some investors (particularly those that choose to park and develop) so using the source (e.g. Keyword Planner) to retrieve this information is much better to make a business decision on.

Experienced domain investors use real analytical tools and, well, mainly, their experience to valuate domains. Not Estibot.

•••
I thank you for paying the tab at the pub and if I ever make it out to Seattle again for a conference, I got you back during happy hour

Didn't I buy the last time you came to Bainbridge Island? :)

You're on for drinks next time.

And no, if someone has constructive feedback about something related to DomainSherpa, then I'm all for the discussion. So no bad karma felt here, as I believe you truly feel the way you do. Totally cool.

I'll bring data. You bring data. If at the end of the discussion we agree to disagree, no hard feelings.

I know that they're a paid advertiser, and, you need to back them up as part of your moral contract with them by doing so in public or they'd probably pull their paid advertising contract.

I learned a great deal about sponsors last year, and I have turned down a number of sponsors this year that didn't meet my minimum threshold in various areas.

I can wholeheartedly say that Estibot is a sponsor because I believe in their product. Even if they weren't a sponsor, I'd still use their product. That's one of the main criteria I use to judge whether someone should be a sponsor of DomainSherpa nowadays.

But let me be clear: the values Estibot provides are not exact or accurate. If Estibot wants to pull their sponsorship because I said that, then so be it. But I doubt they will. They are not called Exactbot, they are called Estibot. They provide an estimate of domain name values, and in many cases they are "order of magnitude accurate." (As I stated earlier, they are not accurate on brandable domain names.)

Finally, I like you David. But I'll call BS on you if I don't agree with you, which is what I'm doing right now -- even though I think it's detracting from the purpose of this thread -- which is the great lessons that Doron taught this week on the DomainSherpa show.

The problem with this statement is that the data is out of date.

Some data Estibot provides may be out of date. I'd admit that. But if you use the Google Adwords Keyword Planner, they too have data that is out of date. In the absence of exact and true data, which neither of us can specify which is exact and which is out of date, we as business people must use the best data available to us.

So let's be more specific. Show me what data you think is out of date and why.

Who in this business would ever base their decision on data that's out of date?

Unbeknownst to the Sherpas on a show in November 2015, I asked them about their use of Estibot. No prep, no backstory, no advance notice. Drew and Shane provide some valuable input on the value of the the Estibot that I think you should watch:

http://www.domainsherpa.com/review-20151109/?t=66m15s

I also know that many of the most successful people in the industry pay for Estibot. It's not public, but when you come out to Bainbridge Island to buy me that beer you owe me, I'm happy to share some names personally.

Case in point, engine.com; let's take a look at the underlying critical data for that (apart from the valuation that's not even arguably junk unto itself). As Keyword Planner has been updated, the 300K exact match may be correct as I am seeing 100K-1M on my side. However, I'm also seeing that the suggested bid is $0.83 and not $1.56 as shown by Estibot. This number is very important when it comes to some investors (particularly those that choose to park and develop) so using the source (e.g. Keyword Planner) to retrieve this information is much better to make a business decision on.

"apart from the valuation that's not even arguably junk unto itself" --> you're saying that it's relatively accurate when you say "not even junk", right? Or am I misunderstanding your double negative? :)

I am not an expert on how Estibot collects their data, but by the same token I'm not sure what the heck Google is doing either.

Let's start with Google, they're now obfuscating their data by providing a range that is totally useless. "100K – 1M" (one hundred thousand to one million) searches per month is ridiculous. I would not invest based on that range. And the CPC number is only based on their own data (at Google, not Bing, Yahoo, Duck, etc.).

Estibot, even though their data is slightly older, provides data based on all search engines. (The data I see, below, is different than what you cited above.) As an investor, I'd much rather know that "engine" has 90,280 exact match searches across all search engines than 100K – 1M at Google.com. Also, in my opinion, we are not that exact to begin with -- so $0.83 CPC at Google versus $1.14 at Estibot (which may be biased by Bing, Yahoo, etc. other search engines who are charging more) close enough for my use.

Finally, let's talk price -- which you may or may not have said is "junk." $334,000 valuation listed in Estibot. That's a correct order of magnitude. It's not a $1,000 name, not a $10,000 name, not a $100,000 name -- but getting close. It's likely over a million as a brandable domain name to a start up, but not likely $2M unless Rick Schwartz was selling it and willing to wait a decade or two. So whether it's $334,000 or $900,000 or $1.3M, that's the same order of magnitude in my book. I'd but this domain name for $50,000 to $90,000 any day of the week as a wholesale price, and look to sell it for $500,000 to $1.5M based on my business need and the capabiliteis of the buyer. But again, it's not the main purpose of Estibot...the data is what I would be looking at.

Experienced domain investors use real analytical tools and, well, mainly, their experience to valuate domains. Not Estibot.

I agree with the first part of your statement, not the last.

For example, I'd use some additional tools like determining how many startups are using a word like "engine" that -- if they take off and become a "unicorn" they might want to shorten to engine.com. And if I mistrusted the CPC data, I'd go to Spyfu and look and who is actually spending money and how much per month: http://www.spyfu.com/keyword/overview?query=engine. I'd also go to Namebio and look at comparable sales, and Trademark247.com to see how many similar trademarks might be registered. I'd look at the backlink profile to see if it might get more than the estimate type-in traffic that Estibot gives information about, as well as Zoominfo to find current companies over $20M in revenue who might match the name. Then there's a certain "gut feel" that investors develop over time, as well as how networked they are to end users (through brokers) that can help them find the end user faster.

Alright, we really needed a different thread for this discussion. Feel free to email me at michael @ domainsherpa.com if you have further thoughts if you don't want to discuss here. I'm looking forward to seeing your data.

Have a great night.

Best regards,
Michael

•••
@DomainSherpa , you are purposefully misleading readers now. If the CPC is $1.50 on Google and $0.80 on Bing, they shouldn't use a "good enough" number. They are explicitly stating that the number is from Google, and, I provided you a clear example: engine.com.

Nice non sequitur, but I'm calling BS on your rebuttal.

And I owe you two beers. :)

•••
you are purposefully misleading readers now. If the CPC is $1.50 on Google and $0.80 on Bing, they shouldn't use a "good enough" number. They are explicitly stating that the number is from Google, and, I provided you a clear example: engine.com.

Why can't I be making an honest mistake?

Show me your data. Where on Estibot.com does it say that the CPC they display is from Google?

Also, I'll try not to put words in your mouth if you try not to do the same for me.

Also, in my opinion, we are not that exact to begin with -- so $0.83 CPC at Google versus $1.14 at Estibot (which may be biased by Bing, Yahoo, etc. other search engines who are charging more) close enough for my use.

"in my opinion" and "for my use" should not mean for everyone's use, and definitely doesn't mean "for your use."

•••
First, I'm mobile, so I apologizeif it seemed that way; I can'teasily scroll up and back down to correct myselfif, I indeed, put words in your mouth.
Show me your data. Where on Estibot.com does it say that the CPC they display is from Google?
One can only assume the CPC is collected from Google, as the average searches displayed in the exact same table are.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

However, please make an emphasis on Estibot working for "your" purpose, and delve into what exactly that is.

If a domainer is wanting to enter development or parking, an inaccurate CPC can be costly. This number, when accurate, determines a rough estimate of monthly earnings.

I'm mobile now, so can't write an analytical report like you did, but will rip into your reply when I get home.

•••
Esitbot is a good indicator but not always.

Blindly trusting Esitbot is the equivalent of automatically trusting banks. Many use it but most don't understand it. :)

Last edited:
•••
One can only assume the CPC is collected from Google, as the average searches displayed in the exact same table are.

I think that's an invalid assumption. I believe the exact match searches per month come from all search engines. I assumed that the CPC was too. If you want to reach out to Estibot support, I'm sure they'll clarify it for you.

If a domainer is wanting to enter development or parking, an inaccurate CPC can be costly. This number, when accurate, determines a rough estimate of monthly earnings.

If a domain investor was going to invest in parking, then they should understand these topics in more detail that you or I.

I run many publishing websites. One of my websites hit 596,659 unique monthly readers last month. I trust the Estibot figures for that topic for exact match monthly searches and CPC. I base that on my own data and experiences.

Esitbot is a good indicator but not always.

Blindly trusting Esitbot is the equivalent of automatically trusting banks. Many use it, most don't understand it, but you can't trust it 100% of the time. :)

I agree. I believe all Sherpas would agree with that statement as well.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is by W. Edwards Deming: “In God we trust; all others bring data.”

We must always look with a critical eye and question our underlying assumptions by looking at real data. I'm appreciative of this discussion and anyone who helps me do that.

•••
Estibot support, I'm sure they'll clarify it for you.
Most likely not. Again, an assumption. But the algorithm behind Estibot is based upon their aggregated data. If that data is ambiguous, or proprietary to Estibot, nobody should take it for its word, never use it, and only rely on sources where the real data lies.
I believe all Sherpas would agree with that statement as well.
How many of the Sherpas are on the pay roll or affiliated in any way with Estibot?

Not to attack your credibility or anything, let me remind everyone, Adam Dicker was a Sherpa as well...

•••
Not to attack your credibility or anything, let me remind everyone, Adam Dicker was a Sherpa as well...
Sorry, that was a low blow.

What I meant by that, sometimes people we come along, or in this case, money received can cloud judgement.

•••
What I meant by that, sometimes people we come along, or in this case, money received can cloud judgement.

Again, you make a statement that in my opinion is false. You're implying that I made a bad judgement because he was paying to be a sponsor.

There were many people in the industry who were tricked by Adam Dicker. Frank Schilling extended credit to Adam Dicker at his registrar, and then had to go public on Twitter to get paid. Many individuals unfortunately lost their investment or money to him when they paid him in advance of services rendered and then he failed to deliver.

This discussion is not productive any longer, David. If you have a question about Doron Vermaat or how he is earning $40,000 in profit on his part-time investing, please ask. That's the purpose of this thread. I hope you watched it and garnered a tip or tactic that might help you going forward. I know I did.

No hard feelings, but I think I've described why I think Estibot has value. If you spent time to watch the video that I linked-to above, you will also understand why Andrew Rosener and Shane Cultra find value from Estibot.

If you want to bring up another topic, feel free to email me directly and we can discuss by telephone.

Do what you want. Believe what you want. I wish you nothing but the best. And, yes, I'll still buy you a beer if you come to Bainbridge Island. You can buy the second round.

Best,
Michael

•••
DomainSherpa said:
First, if you’re buying or selling a domain name or portfolio and you want an estimate of it’s value, Estibot.com is the place to go. Just like you’d visit Zillow.com to get an estimate of a house value, Estibot.com provides key information about the most important statistics so you can make an informed decision based on data.
Those are your exact words when advertising Estibot.com in your videos.

Everything you have said up until now goes completely against that. If Estibot had provided key information that was accurate, as you so state it's "good enough", maybe the statistics collected would be better to make an informed decision on. However, as it stands, it's not the best tool. You, yourself, even state better tools to use than Estibot. Why not create an article of those, and how to use them to make an even more informed decision? I mean, you can even have bias towards Estibot, as long as you state other avenues of approach like you have here.
There were many people in the industry who were tricked by Adam Dicker. Frank Schilling extended credit to Adam Dicker at his registrar, and then had to go public on Twitter to get paid. Many individuals unfortunately lost their investment or money to him when they paid him in advance of services rendered and then he failed to deliver.
Completely agree. Though, instead of just taking action and taking his videos down, you should have voiced yourself about the situation instead of remaining quiet. In this case, words do speak louder than actions. This is the first time you have ever voiced your opinion, as far as I'm aware, about Adam Dicker. I commend you for that. Really.

But it is off topic.

I left it there because I like to show that we all make mistakes. I could've easily edited my comment out and stayed quiet about it like the previously mentioned scenario, but, that's not me, and I hope you don't hold it against me.
No hard feelings, but I think I've described why I think Estibot has value. If you spent time to watch the video that I linked-to above, you will also understand why Andrew Rosener and Shane Cultra find value from Estibot.
I don't have much against Andrew Rosener, but, I can honestly say that @Domain Shane's opinion is highly discredited with me for various reasons, e.g., stances he has on things around the industry that I disagree with.

I think I'm starting to understand this more and more now...
Capture.png
It's the blind leading the blind. If you honestly believe Estibot is the right tool, then so be it, use it, and be blinded by the fact that it has inaccurate data everywhere.

Just quit preaching about Estibot being the holy grail as if it's the Zillow of the domain name industry; it's not. Your target audience is new investors (the blind behind you), give them every resource they can use and don't hold back for a couple of bucks in your pocket.

Sellouts, thieves, and liars plague this industry and give us all a bad name...

•••
Guys, would like to chip-in on this Estibot issue as well. I'm sure everyone has a thing or two to say about Estibot and all the hype its been getting on the DomainSherpa show.

As for me, Estibot is not the place to go for domain name valuation, research, or estimation; not even for generic names.

Mike, I enjoy watching/listening to your show and I understand Estibot is a sponsor and that's totally fine with me. However, I think the Estibot ad on the DomainSherpa show mainly targets newbies who don't know better, and not experienced domainers who know better. No real professional domainer takes Estibot's outdated appraisal serious. Their site is not even responsive in this mobile/smartphone age.

"First, if you’re buying or selling a domain name or portfolio and you want an estimate of it’s value, Estibot.com is the place to go. Just like you’d visit Zillow.com to get an estimate of a house value, Estibot.com provides key information about the most important statistics so you can make an informed decision based on data." — DomainSherpa

It might be a good idea to ask DomainSherpa viewers (in the form of a poll or something), what's their take on Estibot's robot valuation of domain names. Based on feedback, you can then decide whether to drop them as a sponsor (better sponsors out there with real products/services), or continue to advertise their bogus estimation at the expense of losing viewers, maybe. The ad message can also be reworded to not appear as a hype/misleading, cos it currently does.

Google Keyword Planner, Namebio, RDAP Whois, Domaining Blogs, NamePros, and other free tools or sites out there, do a better job than Estibot charging $30 to $150 per month for literally nothing. Moreover, their data is not reliable, estimation is way off and I personally see no real value in estibot.

Last year, Mike Berkens' MostWantedDomains sold SuperSeats.com for nearly $50K (see attachment), but Estibot valued the domain name to be worth just $980. A newbie domainer could've undersold same name based on Estibot valuation, thinking it's a good offer.

Also, one of our top cctld domain name PHONE.US has a ridiculously low estibot appraisal of only $8,600, when we've turned down mid five figure offer for the asset.

All that being said, Estibot is no different from all the free unreal website worth calculation scripts out there, nothing great about the tool. I definitely do not, and have never, used it in my decision making process. I agree with much of what David and others have said about Estibot.

Now, let me go watch the latest DomainSherpa interview and learn a thing or two :-,

Attachments

• IMG_20161004_003626.JPG
    IMG_20161004_003626.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
•••
Estibot is still around? As relevant as Yahoo's overture tool.

•••
Estibot is still around?
Unfortunately. And, because it's pedalled so hard by people that are looked highly upon by new investors in this industry (@DomainSherpa and @Domain Shane [from what Michael stated]), it's likely to remain that way for a long time.
The underlying critical data that shows domain name value, like exact match search volume, cost-per-click of advertising for the exact match search phrase, what other domain extensions are registered, and whether it has type-in traffic.

As relevant as Yahoo's overture tool.
Funny that you mention that because the "type-in" traffic Michael refers to domains having is derived from Overture data. See below for my example provided to him of engine.com:
Type-in Score:
Overture (domain): 280
Overture (sld): 75,229
Overture (keyword): 75,229

Word Tracker (keyword): 1,223
To educate you, @DomainSherpa and everyone else, nothing can tell you whether a domain name has type-in traffic. Even GoDaddy's "traffic" next to auctions is their best guess based upon a proprietary algorithm that they have (most likely unique visitors over the period of when they have the "renew this domain" page up times 12 divided by some fancy number to arrive at a figure that's "good enough" to display). I know Verisign has a good tool that analyzed DNS traffic, but even it isn't good enough to rely on solely for the purpose of calculating estimated earnings.

Anyone in domain parking has their own algorithms based on different figures - never retrieved from Estibot.com - to come to the conclusion on whether to buy a domain for their portfolio or not.

•••
So Estibot references 2007 Yahoo Overture Tool? Can someone confirm cause that sounds way off.

•••
Judging Tentatively the Value of Domains is not a sound Business Strategy. To add to this, Estibot’s Estimates are way of the mark!

In Business "Numbers matter" In my opinion no such tool exists to valuate domains.

Hardcore domain Sherpa Fan Here.

Sorry Mike but I think you should consider changing the advertising on what this tool can do.

•••
And I owe you two beers.

Completely off topic, but 2 beers huh? Were you implying that Michael bought you 2 beers so that's why you owe him only two beers? Pretty nice of Michael to pick the tab up.

Proper etiquette would be for you to get the next tab, regardless of the amount (of course within reason, not hundreds of dollars).

My apologize if I misunderstood your comment, but 2 beers sounded pretty specific and you made the comment after Michael said you can get the next tab.

Last edited:
•••
Completely off topic, but 2 beers huh? Were you implying that Michael bought you 2 beers so that's why you owe him only two beers? Pretty nice of Michael to pick the tab up.

Proper etiquette would be for you to get the next tab, regardless of the amount (of course within reason, not hundreds of dollars).

My apologize if I misunderstood your comment, but 2 beers sounded pretty specific and you made the comment after Michael said you can get the next tab.
Pretty much off topic completely. My restaurant and bar etiquette would call for picking up the entire tab as you said whether we originally ate or drank at a hole in the wall bar to me repaying the favor at let's say, Red Lobster (that is a fancy restaurant in Japan, but I've since come to learn that may be a poor example as it's not so classy in America...).

Hope you get my drift.

I was just reminding him of the time that he bought me two beers at a microbrewery. So, hopefully, he remembers the two that he bought before, as he did recommend them, so that if we go back to the same place I can start where I left off and try the other brews.

Of course, much like the first time, trying to pick up the tab in secrecy. But, @DomainSherpa and I are very much alike. He conveniently "went to the bathroom" (usually my trick as well) and picked up the tab on the way back. I was in preparation to pay for @Shane Bellone and his girlfriend, as well as Michael and myself, had it not already been done before I "had to use the bathroom".

PS: I'm such a nice guy, I think I even PayPal'd Shane some extra money (as I only had cards on me at the time) to restock the Grey Goose that I drank out of his hotel's mini fridge. I think it was like $9 for the Goose and $9 for the orange juice. Having said this, I later come find out how cheap Shane is. He replaced it with store bought OJ and liquor store bought Goose, saving him like $15 bucks.

Good times with good people that day.

I have nothing against Michael. Capitalism rules.

;)

Last edited:
•••
PS: I'm such a nice guy, I think I even PayPal'd Shane some extra money (as I only had cards on me at the time) to restock the Grey Goose that I drank out of his hotel's mini fridge. I think it was like $9 for the Goose and $9 for the orange juice. Having said this, I later come find out how cheap Shane is. He replaced it with store bought OJ and liquor store bought Goose, saving him like $15 bucks.
;)

This made me laugh! Not sure if I would have went to as much effort as he did. As for my earlier comment, again my apologize for implying that you might be cheap without knowing the entirety of the story.

•••
Pretty much off topic completely. My restaurant and bar etiquette would call for picking up the entire tab as you said whether we originally ate or drank at a hole in the wall bar to me repaying the favor at let's say, Red Lobster (that is a fancy restaurant in Japan, but I've since come to learn that may be a poor example as it's not so classy in America...).

Hope you get my drift.

I was just reminding him of the time that he bought me two beers at a microbrewery. So, hopefully, he remembers the two that he bought before, as he did recommend them, so that if we go back to the same place I can start where I left off and try the other brews.

Of course, much like the first time, trying to pick up the tab in secrecy. But, @DomainSherpa and I are very much alike. He conveniently "went to the bathroom" (usually my trick as well) and picked up the tab on the way back. I was in preparation to pay for @Shane Bellone and his girlfriend, as well as Michael and myself, had it not already been done before I "had to use the bathroom".

Good times with good people that day.

I have nothing against Michael. Capitalism rules.

;)

This is not how I remember it going down.

LOL

•••
First, if you’re buying or selling a domain name or portfolio and you want an estimate of it’s value, Estibot.com is the place to go. Just like you’d visit Zillow.com to get an estimate of a house value, Estibot.com provides key information about the most important statistics so you can make an informed decision based on data.

How can you advertise Zillow.com as a place to get an accurate estimate of house value? Tell me any three professional home buyers that use Zillow for that purpose.... and I'll buy a beer if I'm in Bainbridge but only if it's properly rated by RateBeer.com where I go to get an estimate of its quality.

*Sigh*

•••
How can you advertise Zillow.com as a place to get an accurate estimate of house value? Tell me any three professional home buyers that use Zillow for that purpose.... and I'll buy a beer if I'm in Bainbridge but only if it's properly rated by RateBeer.com where I go to get an estimate of its quality.

*Sigh*
Well, if we take a look at @DomainSherpa's tutorial on how to use Estibot, we'll see this:
The Estibot value is $110 for DomainSherpa.com. While I paid $500 for the domain name back in 2010, it’s on the same order of magnitude. $100 is pretty much the same as $500. Again, this is a brandable domain name so I’d not use Estibot for an appraisal, but even still it’s correct on an order of magnitude.
So, in essence, making an informed decision based upon an estimate that is proportionally incorrect, is still an informed decision, whether that be using Zillow.com or Estibot.com.

To be fair on Michael, he does go on to say:
$500 and $100 are pretty close

But, we're discussing accuracy here. Being "pretty close" can cost money. If that's good enough for some... then so be it.

Here's a comment left as well,
DomainSherpa said:
If there was a discrepancy, I would guess that Google might update their data more frequently than Estibot, but I do not know for sure. In this case, the difference between 260 and 172 is negligible. If you noticed one data source saying 5,000 and another saying 500, that would be a case to spend some time to investigate further.
And, you actually got a naive investor to follow blindly with that.
So Estibot references 2007 Yahoo Overture Tool? Can someone confirm cause that sounds way off.
I can finally confirm now from the tutorial:
For those that aren’t familiar with search engine history, GoTo.com was a search engine that launched in 1998, went public in 1999, and changed it name to Overture in 2001. In 2003, Overture bought two other search engines named AllTheWeb.com and Alta Vista before being acquired by Yahoo. So while Overture doesn’t exist any more, a lot of domain name investors still love that data and Estibot has it saved from 10 plus years ago.

tl;dr: Estibot is crap for both the estimate as well as the discrepancies in its information provided on the domain - so overall, not a good tool, at all.

Michael, if you still stand behind Estibot, fine. I've provided facts, you've chosen to ignore them and counter them with invalid arguments.

I suppose all we can do now is let the people decide. However, when you have a thousand new investors watching your show, I'm positive that they're going to side with you, until they wisen up and maybe run across this thread of course.

•••
IMO I agree with a few here that Estibot is not good tool for newbie domainers to rely on domain valuations. This is a very interesting topic :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back