Domain Empire

Epik University - Branding question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What would you call a free online university for learning to buy and sell domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Epik University -- EpikU.com for short

votes
    41.2%
  • DomainFlippa -- keep the old brand but just make it free

votes
    3.9%
  • Come up with a new name that you won't outgrow

votes
    35.3%
  • The whole idea is stupid and you wasted your money!

votes
    19.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Over the weekend, Epik acquired a very interesting set of courses from Troy Rushton. You can get a sense of the content here:

https://learn.domainflippa.com/

The plan is to open up all the courses -- they will be free. In many parts of the world, even a $49 tuition is unaffordable. So, we want to democratize knowledge.

The question on the table is about branding. Providentially, we secured EpikU.com on the drop this week and could forward it to a subdomain like university.epik.com.

However, there is also a case for putting it out there as stand-alone brand.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’m curious to know if Rob ever tried to buy epic.com back in the day, although Epik.com is a great brand, 4L, same sound, with an edgy K, but just for fun since the epic.com owner in WI is a software company that goes by epic systems, to see what there number was back in the day, might not sound to crazy present day maybe.

Also Epik University would be the brand I go with, EpikU is a nice shortener, but if you are seeking people from emerging countries you have to really spell it out for them, as they will not get the U, as it is more North American, no reason you can’t use both. Offer some kind of downloadable/printable to scale digital diploma, people love something tangible they can at least get a sense of accomplishment from even if they don’t move forward. Will help with user reviews, once users complete the course, and have something to show for it.

Good thing about owning your own register would be you can run promos like free domain registration when you complete the course, or for emerging markets free course with purchase of a domain etc...

Anyways bringing more domainers into the space will only give current portfolio holders more liquidity, and higher pricing, it’s a good thing for everyone, and adding more users always helps legitimize an industry, as many people on the outside still have negative feelings about domaining, and domainers overall, until they become one.

Last edited:
•••
maybe I should register 4epik.com for you guys?

•••
The question on the table is about branding. Providentially, we secured EpikU.com on the drop this week and could forward it to a subdomain like university.epik.com.

If unsure, could start it as a project of Epik and see how that goes. Could spin it off later as a stand-alone, if it looked like it could make sense(?)

With the growth of Epik into such as domain education, I'm wondering if the branding tagline 'The Swiss bank of domains' should be changed, to better help position Epik for where it's going, should be going. Just a thought.

Epik.com/U - The 'U' having the potential for a double meaning of 'You', as in 'It's about you', as well as standing for 'University'. Also easy to tie that over to EpikU.com later.

Last edited:
•••
If you are to teach people how to acquire domaining skills, you need something like DomainingSkills.com.

Yup, its mine.

PS, if you are serious about it, you won't need much teaching.

Some folks are not going to college again. Not for domaining.

But, good luck

•••
If unsure, could start it as a project of Epik and see how that goes. Could spin it off later as a stand-alone, if it looked like it could make sense(?)

With the growth of Epik into such as domain education, I'm wondering if the branding tagline 'The Swiss bank of domains' should be changed, to better help position Epik for where it's going, should be going. Just a thought.

Epik.com/U - The 'U' having the potential for a double meaning of 'You', as in 'It's about you', as well as standing for 'University'. Also easy to tie that over to EpikU.com later.

Yes, positioning is evolving in the direction of "Digital Empowerment". We just need to test that thoroughly but I see that happening in 2020 concurrent with a breakthrough in interoperability though the Toki.com Digital Smart Agent project currently under way.

•••
•••
maybe somebody should create a domain high school first….
then if they graduate

they can go to a domain university, academy or college.

later, when they get their degrees,
put copies of it on their marketplace sites and landers, which will add a level of credibility for them, as a domainer seller.

visitors will assume your portfolio must be high quality, because you got a degree in domaining.

:)

imo...

•••
I would definitely not use Flippa as any part of it, both for confusion with company and because it implies the "easy flipping" idea that I think is unfortunate.

I kind of like Epik U, but voted for the option of coming up with something that is new and separate from the Epik name. Also, don't you have to be careful calling it a university, regulation wise? You would in Canada.

I think a name that one can't outgrow and that would allow possible future expansion into related areas like publications, multimedia resources outside of a course, workshops, etc. is best.

Bob

Will the domain "university" have a football team? :xf.grin:

•••
Will the domain "university" have a football team? :xf.grin:

Rob mentioned a rowing team on another thread.

And he mentioned a stream running next to his property on another thread.

So a rowing team.

And Rob is a smart individual, so he's probably turning his place into the university and living there while writing it off as an expense.

How rumours get started. :)

BUt using that line of thought for 'thinking movement value'...…. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_thinking

•••
Rob mentioned a rowing team on another thread.

And he mentioned a stream running next to his property on another thread.

So a rowing team.

And Rob is a smart individual, so he's probably turning his place into the university and living there while writing it off as an expense.

How rumours get started. :)

BUt using that line of thought for 'thinking movement value'...…. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_thinking
Well if he uses his home as a portion of workspace, that would be considered an expense.

I believe Epik University is more of a virtual university.

Last edited:
•••
Well if he uses his home as a portion of workspace, that would be considered an expense.

I believe Epik University is more of a virtual university.

It was a bit of humour.

But humour can lead to some innovative, at times breakthrough, thinking - if you know how to use such for that.

•••
Just in case they do have any kind of sports team, I am experienced as a mascot :xf.grin:

•••
Another idea:

Call it EpikUrus ))

Epik U are us )

Epicurus[a] (341–270 BC) was an ancient Greek philosopher and sage who founded a highly influential school of philosophy now called Epicureanism. He was born on the Greek island of Samos to Athenian parents. Influenced by Democritus, Aristotle, Pyrrho,[3] and possibly the Cynics, he turned against the Platonism of his day and established his own school, known as "the Garden", in Athens. Epicurus and his followers were known for eating simple meals and discussing a wide range of philosophical subjects, and he openly allowed women to join the school as a matter of policy. An extremely prolific writer, he is said to have originally written over 300 works on various subjects, but the vast majority of these writings have been lost. Only three letters written by him—the Letters to Menoeceus, Pythocles, and Herodotus—and two collections of quotes—the Principle Doctrines and the Vatican Sayings—have survived intact, along with a few fragments and quotations of his other writings. Most knowledge of his teachings comes from later authors, particularly the Roman poet Lucretius, the biographer Diogenes Laërtius, the statesman Cicero, and the philosophers Philodemus and Sextus Empiricus.

For Epicurus, the purpose of philosophy was to attain the happy, tranquil life, characterized by ataraxia—peace and freedom from fear—and aponia—the absence of pain—and by living a self-sufficient life surrounded by friends. He taught that the root of all human neurosis is death denial, and the tendency for human beings to assume that death will be horrific and painful, which he claimed causes unnecessary anxiety, selfish self-protective behaviors, and hypocrisy. According to Epicurus, death is the end of both the body and the soul and therefore should not be feared. Likewise, Epicurus taught that the gods, though they do exist, have no involvement in human affairs and do not punish or reward people for their actions. Nonetheless, he maintained that people should still behave ethically because amoral behavior will burden them with guilt and prevent them from attaining ataraxia.

maxresdefault.jpg

•••
The more important question is who is going to ask me to prom???

•••
•••
Another idea:

Call it EpikUrus ))

Epik U are us )

Epicurus[a] (341–270 BC) was an ancient Greek philosopher and sage who founded a highly influential school of philosophy now called Epicureanism. He was born on the Greek island of Samos to Athenian parents. Influenced by Democritus, Aristotle, Pyrrho,[3] and possibly the Cynics, he turned against the Platonism of his day and established his own school, known as "the Garden", in Athens. Epicurus and his followers were known for eating simple meals and discussing a wide range of philosophical subjects, and he openly allowed women to join the school as a matter of policy. An extremely prolific writer, he is said to have originally written over 300 works on various subjects, but the vast majority of these writings have been lost. Only three letters written by him—the Letters to Menoeceus, Pythocles, and Herodotus—and two collections of quotes—the Principle Doctrines and the Vatican Sayings—have survived intact, along with a few fragments and quotations of his other writings. Most knowledge of his teachings comes from later authors, particularly the Roman poet Lucretius, the biographer Diogenes Laërtius, the statesman Cicero, and the philosophers Philodemus and Sextus Empiricus.

For Epicurus, the purpose of philosophy was to attain the happy, tranquil life, characterized by ataraxia—peace and freedom from fear—and aponia—the absence of pain—and by living a self-sufficient life surrounded by friends. He taught that the root of all human neurosis is death denial, and the tendency for human beings to assume that death will be horrific and painful, which he claimed causes unnecessary anxiety, selfish self-protective behaviors, and hypocrisy. According to Epicurus, death is the end of both the body and the soul and therefore should not be feared. Likewise, Epicurus taught that the gods, though they do exist, have no involvement in human affairs and do not punish or reward people for their actions. Nonetheless, he maintained that people should still behave ethically because amoral behavior will burden them with guilt and prevent them from attaining ataraxia.

maxresdefault.jpg

I liked how you were trying to reach with this, Recons. Maybe Epicurus could be EpikU's 'spokesman'? 'Head master'? : )

•••
Finally a sensible name branding wise! EpikU all the way :)

•••
Over the weekend, Epik acquired a very interesting set of courses from Troy Rushton. You can get a sense of the content here:

https://learn.domainflippa.com/

The plan is to open up all the courses -- they will be free. In many parts of the world, even a $49 tuition is unaffordable. So, we want to democratize knowledge.

Since there's also microfinance program and goodwill of domains, shouldn't you merge with university and make it one single .org place?

•••
I liked how you were trying to reach with this, Recons. Maybe Epicurus could be EpikU's 'spokesman'? 'Head master'? : )

Thank you! Happy, someone appreciated it ))

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back