Dynadot

Epik: Market Hits & WhoIs Counts Questions

NameSilo
Watch

CJ6

My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps.Top Member
Impact
@robepik or anyone else that may know,
I figured I would make this into a public question for any discussion.

Under the performance tab, (1) does the WhoIs counts and Market Hit counts include robot hits? (2) Is this count for a particular time frame or total amount of time that the domain is with Epik? For example, is the count showing the hits within 1 year?

20180911_132712.jpg

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry, just saw this one. We filter out bot traffic to the best of our ability. It is lifetime activity, but you can click on whois counts, for example, and see the log history of which IP visited on what date. The numbers are color coded to indicate if a single IP is visiting more often. If WHOIS count is in red, it means there are multiple folks from multiple IPs that are repeatedly looking the WHOIS for that domain. It is a decent indicator of a domain that may get a bid -- it is one of the more useful diagnostic tools we developed. We initially developed it for our O&O portfolio but made it available to everyone.

•••
Sorry, just saw this one. We filter out bot traffic to the best of our ability. It is lifetime activity, but you can click on whois counts, for example, and see the log history of which IP visited on what date. The numbers are color coded to indicate if a single IP is visiting more often. If WHOIS count is in red, it means there are multiple folks from multiple IPs that are repeatedly looking the WHOIS for that domain. It is a decent indicator of a domain that may get a bid -- it is one of the more useful diagnostic tools we developed. We initially developed it for our O&O portfolio but made it available to everyone.

I think there may be a problem. I don't think bot traffic is getting filtered (accurately). I have a domain that is only 11 months old and is getting 200+ hits a day. Believe me, the domain isn't that great.

Here's a screenshot. If I remember correctly it had about 2100 hits on Monday. 3267 market visits, 0 whois. Im sure the number is supposed to be 0 & 0. (I just transferred the domain over 2 weeks ago.)

20181102_190912.jpg

As much as want it to be THAT good, I know it's not. It is (ironically) getting the highest hits in my portfolio. Unfortunately, there is no way they are real.. at least I don't think so.

Last edited:
•••
I think there may be a problem. I don't think bot traffic is getting filtered (accurately). I have a domain that is only 11 months old and is getting 200+ hits a day. Believe me, the domain isn't that great.

Here's a screenshot. If I remember correctly it had about 2100 hits on Monday. 3267 market visits, 0 whois. Im sure the number is supposed to be 0 & 0. (I just transferred the domain over 2 weeks ago.)

Show attachment 101582

As much as want it to be THAT good, I know it's not. It is (ironically) getting the highest hits in my portfolio. Unfortunately, there is no way they are real.. at least I don't think so.
Ok, something I didn't think about, the history of the domain. Lol
I hand regged it, but it may have been a video website in the past. I found a few references to it online. I guess more homework is needed.

•••

Show attachment 101582

We capture visit traffic at the network edge -- using our proprietary Content Delivery Network. The stats are rolled up daily but could be rolled up faster if folks required it.

As for filtering out bot traffic, I will check with engineering about it, but basically we can block any IPs. So, if there are problematic IPs we would simply firewall them. If that is helpful, we could create a tool for banning IPs which would then ban them generally.

As it is, we already block any DDoS traffic, so blocking bots is really trivial for us. We can block entire IP ranges and even entire ASNs. That technology, which is functionally comparable to CloudFlare, comes from BitMitigate which Epik acquired in February 2019 and which we integrated in this bundle:

https://www.epik.com/resilient/

Do you think we should make it a user-settable preference to block bot traffic allowing the user to decide whether to accept bot traffic or have a standard of quality where bot traffic is simply banned?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back