Domain Empire

news Epik LLC Completes Transfer of Epik.com from Epik Holdings Inc.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Epik LLC has acquired and transferred Epik.com and the associated domain management platform from Epik Holdings Inc.

Epik Holdings, Inc. was founded in 2009 by current Chairman Robert Monster, whose tireless efforts built Epik.com into one of the world's most recognizable domain registrars, best known for its commitment to free speech and privacy. Monster invested aggressively to build one the industry’s leading domain management platforms with a worldwide customer footprint and a reputation for legendary support.

Read Press Release

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've been away dealing with death related issues and return to learn of the wonderful rebirth of epik.

I log in to find my thousands of dollars that were trapped in masterbucks are gone.

ADD/EDIT: It was suggested I check the masterbucks site (never used it before) and I see the correct number is displayed there. However, it is unclear to me how to use those funds to renew names. I will update if/when I figure it out.

Last edited:
•••
•••
"Tactical efforts" = Scamming people for almost a year.

They kept Adkisson's $327,000 escrow payment since May 2022 and Kathleen's $91K since September 2022.
Rob Monster was CEO when the first occurred. Brian Royce was CEO when the second occurred.

We also have all the Masterbucks debts to customer that they left behind, after being blocked from withdrawal since late 2022.

Remember this?

Epik CEO says Masterbucks will return soon with upgrades

https://domainnamewire.com/2022/09/29/epik-ceo-says-masterbucks-will-return-soon-with-upgrades/

"Reduce costs" = Not paying their debts, or processing registrations and renewals they were paid for.

Are we supposed to believe that Rob Monster and Brian Royce heroically "saved" Epik from the mismanagement of Rob Monster and Brian Royce? :facepalm:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Or this letter from scumbag Brian Royce
He should bow down to whatever god he prays to thanking him/her/it he did not send that letter to me.

•••
Did you have to jump through the KYC hoops and send your personal info to that questionable 'clearing house'?
Haven't they been using this same KYC since late 2022, when Masterbucks came back after being shut down for "upgrades"?

Then again, at that point you had to do the KYC stuff and your funds were still blocked from withdrawal.

Ask someone like @Igor Gabrielan how long his funds have been blocked from withdrawal.

So it really didn't matter if you went through the KYC process or not, either outcome was the same...in most situations you were never able to withdraw your funds.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Haven't they been using this same KYC since late 2022, when Masterbucks came back after being shut down for "upgrades"?

Then again, at that point you had to do the KYC stuff and your funds were still blocked from withdrawal.

Ask someone like @Igor Gabrielan how long his funds have been blocked from withdrawal.

So it really didn't matter if you went through the KYC process or not, either outcome was the same...in most situations you were never able to withdraw your funds.

Brad
I also filled KYC form, until now funds blocked! Since last year.

•••
Masterbucks balances have been blocked from withdrawal since late 2022.

I don't see any reason to believe they are going to get paid out, ever.

"New" Epik certainly doesn't believe it is their obligation. If ICANN approves the assignment to them, without these liabilities, who is going to pay them?

For "New" Epik to exist all these customer liabilities will be left behind.

Brad
My life history includes a stint attending law school.

I've got 3 highly qualified lawyers in my immediate family and my old school rolodex includes over 75 attorneys nationwide that have represented me (successfully) in a large amount of cases.

Tomorrow morning I will start the wheels grinding.

•••
I would not be proud to be the new owner of Epik lol

Last edited:
•••
I was told by Epik support that NameLiquidate was NOT included in the purchase of Epik and so Epik support was doing me a favor by giving me in-store credit for the value of the sales because they were not the ones who received the money from the sale.

That is definitely a surprise since the login for NameLiquidate is still the Epik login. I also never received any sort of notice that the two were splitting. I'm also saddened that the sales were still able to take place before/during/after the sale of Epik. It would seem like an easy option to cancel all of the active sales on NameLiquidate.

Epik did encourage me to end any acitve listings on NameLiquidate though by then my listings had already completed.

•••
Where did the $380,000 figure come from?
Epik and Terra Host.png

•••
When were the sales made?

Brad
6/19, 6/20 and 6/25.

"We are pleased to inform you that your domain ____.com has been sold for $49 on our Marketplace!

The domain has now been pushed to the buyer's account and the funds have been deposited into your Marketplace in-store credit

Congratulations on your sale!"

The 3 sales total over $200 so I feel like once they figure things out, I should see something. I was hoping to avoid store credit if I didn't mind waiting a bit.

•••
Can you close that other thread?
We can pick off right where we left off:
Show attachment 239854
What other thread, the 300+ page one that documents Epik's Masterbucks (and other) victims...that are still victims. That thread is more relevant than ever.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
One question. Who is the new owner?!! @Epik Domains now would be a great time to introduce yourself.
They already did introduce themselves, by showing contempt for the customers/victims with comments like this -

"As all of you have documented and somehow had the time to write up 299 pages about this rehashing the same thing 80 different ways"

"If you truly understood the mess behind the scenes what these two men pulled off is miraculous. And any of your speculation is worthless at this point also."

"The story isn't nearly as bad as many posts here make it seem."

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Don't know. I'm not American. @bmugford would probably have a fair idea.
But in any case, if ICANN is doing its job, it should be delving into this. They might be anonymous to us, but my understanding is that they still have to share all those details with ICANN so they can decide whether to approve the transfer of registrar status from one entity to another. If in fact they have actually applied for that.
The following post by @jberryhill goes into detail.

ICANN is only going to approve transfer of the registrar accreditation if:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/purchasing-2013-07-08-en

When an ICANN-accredited registrar is purchased, the acquired registrar must provide ICANN with the following:

2. A statement affirming that the acquired registrar continues to meet the ICANN-adopted specification or policy on accreditation criteria then in effect, and is in compliance with its obligations under the RAA;

The problem there is that the requirement assumes a compliant registrar. The registrar associated with this accreditation is already in breach, and for more than simply owing the back ICANN fees. There is a roster of operational requirements that ICANN has imposed on the original registrar.

The assignee also has to provide this information:

https://www.icann.org/2013-raa-info-spec-current-en.xlsx

"15. Full name, contact information, and position of any persons or entities owning at least 5% of the ownership interest in Registrar’s current business entity. For each person listed, please specify such person’s percentage ownership.

(NOTE: Include the city, state/province, and country of residence as part of the contact information for each entity and/or individual listed)"

"16. Full name, contact information, and position of all directors of the Registrar.

(NOTE: Include the city, state/province, and country of residence as part of the contact information for each individual listed)"

"18. Full name, contact information, and position of all senior management and other key personnel overseeing the provision of Registrar Services.

(NOTE: Include the city, state/province, and country of residence as part of the contact information for each individual listed)"

"19. For every person or entity mentioned in the answers to questions 15 to 18, indicate if that person or entity:
a) within the past ten years, has been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor related to financial activities, or has been judged by a court to have committed fraud or breach of fiduciary duty, or has been the subject of a judicial determination that is similar or related to any of these;
b) within the past ten years, has been disciplined by any
government or industry regulatory body for conduct involving dishonesty or misuse of funds of others;
c) is currently involved in any judicial or regulatory proceeding that could result in a conviction, judgment, determination, or discipline of the type specified in items 19(a) or 19(b); or
d) is the subject of a disqualification imposed by ICANN.

Provide details if any of the above events in (a)-(d) have occurred."

It will also be interesting to see how they get around this:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en

5.5 Termination of Agreement by ICANN. This Agreement may be terminated before its expiration by ICANN in any of the following circumstances:

5.5.8 (i) Registrar makes an assignment for the benefit of creditors or similar act;

...since that is exactly what this transaction was expressly about. The reason for this provision is that it is included in a clause that also lists bankruptcy, and so the idea was to de-accredit entities which are functionally bankrupt, have not formally declared bankruptcy, but are selling the furniture to pay creditors.

If anyone else is owed significant funds and is getting cut out, this would be the last call for filing that involuntary bankruptcy petition to unwind deals made just prior thereto.

•••
It was suggested I check the masterbucks site (never used it before) and I see the correct number is displayed there. However, it is unclear to me how to use those funds to renew names. I will update if/when I figure it out.
What is going on with Epik LLC is unknown. The actual owner, shareholders, executives, etc.

However, according to the press release, Rob Monster is the CEO of Epik Holdings Inc aka "Old" Epik.

@Rob Monster has made no public statements about these liabilities and how he plans to make the victims whole.

The asset transfer only benefits certain creditors, like ICANN, Verisign, and other vendors.

The customers liabilities are left behind.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Brad why do you think Rob paid Kathleen? I am glad he did, but I wonder if that holds hope for others to get paid or it was just a one off payment.
Potential legal exposure. It was just not feasible to get away from this specific transaction.

It was a straight US based escrow transaction, 8+ months ago.

It was well documented, including a letter from Brian Royce acknowledging the amount owned that never mentioned the term "Masterbucks".

It was reported all over the place, including with authorities like the Washington AG.

What about "everyone" else?

These were from Rob's own words in the exhibit -

RM5.jpg

"New" Epik, Rob Monster, and whoever else are more than welcome to make a statement on how they plan to make all these "other" victims whole.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The Epik domain platform is now under new ownership and management
Prove it "new" Epik.

Why the need for extreme secrecy?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I made 3 sales through NameLiquidate and was told in template e-mails I was being paid in store credit (didn't know that was the new policy). The money has not yet been put in my account and no response from support.

I'm going to give them a chance to figure things out before I take any actions.

Last edited:
•••
You have no idea how much debt is in Masterbucks. That could be a real bum deal.

Brad
That's correct but a lot of people would have done better than Brian Royce and Rob Monster.

Last edited:
•••
I remember the days when everyone on this forum (and some of you in this thread) promoted that shitty registar. This lasted for many years,I never understood what was the big deal abot it.

•••
It will be miraculous if Brian Royce can ever get another job.

"If you truly understood the mess behind the scenes what these two men pulled off is miraculous. And any of your speculation is worthless at this point also."

The story is worse.

We only know about domain investors having issues.

What about regular customers who were using Epik?

"The story isn't nearly as bad as many posts here make it seem."

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back