alert Epik Had A Major Breach

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some days ago received an email from Have i been pawned regarding data breach.
Just now got an email from spycloud regarding data breach.

•••
It also seems Breached data is being sold on dark web. Private Source is generally a criminal trying to sell the hacked data.

upload_2021-9-24_0-51-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-24_0-50-14.png
    upload_2021-9-24_0-50-14.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 109
•••
Username or email are used for login. That's half information. Other half is password.

Account deletion is needed everywhere. Not just at epik.

Last edited:
•••
Username or email are used for login. That's half information. Other half is password.
A username or email is just used to identify which user is trying to log in, remember that people sometimes share their email addresses so they can use email for communicating with people. The password is the secret. Two secrets isn't really any more secure than one secret, which is why 2 factor authentication systems use something you have or something you are instead of 2 things you know.

•••
why Chris Hydrick left the forum? He commented on this topic since Sept, 14th
does anybody knows?
Threads like this tend to cause a lot of tension within the community. It’s wise to take a break when you feel it’ll be helpful; he’s always been good at doing that. We hope to see him return again when he’s ready.

While he was heavily contributing to this thread, please create a new thread to discuss topics that are not directly related to the topic of this thread.

•••
56 pages... gosh

I don't remember how many domains I owned with Epik before breach.
Password updated what next?

•••
It also seems Breached data is being sold on dark web. Private Source is generally a criminal trying to sell the hacked data.

Show attachment 200156

I feel sure this is being dealt with right now it takes a little time to round up discovery to start preceding… I left my CC wide open just for this very reason ..

Last edited:
•••
Do u think there can be any registrar behind all this hacking.

•••
....You don't necessarily have to change your email either, just make sure you change your password and you'll be fine.

Let me repeat;

For Domain Investors!
If pwned, change your email address > @ every registrar.
Such high levels of "caffeine" can cause serious problems. That's all I can say.

dyodd

Regards

•••
So, what exactly is your reasoning for this?... Just because of the probable impending influx of spam, or do you believe this to be a significant security risk? I'd like to hear your explanation for why it's so important. Thanks.

•••
For Domain Investors!
Such high levels of "caffeine" can cause serious problems. That's all I can say.
Quit ignoring the people asking you what your reasoning for this is. What possible reason could someone need to change their email address on all their registrar accounts? If they change all their passwords to a random string and use a password manager, anyone trying to use their email to get into their account will not be able to get in unless they've breached the password manager. It's really quite simple. Enable 2 factor authentication and they'd also have to steal your phone.

Last edited:
•••
Quit ignoring the people asking you what your reasoning for this is. What possible reason could someone need to change their email address on all their registrar accounts? If they change all their passwords to a random string and use a password manager, anyone trying to use their email to get into their account will not be able to get in unless they've breached the password manager. It's really quite simple. Enable 2 factor authentication and they'd also have to steal your phone.
Yep. I can only imagine s/he thinks that with the email, Registrars are open to a social engineering attack which might give the attacker access to my your account, but I really can't see many attackers taking the time for this when there is so much other low-hanging fruit in the breached data. It would be more time-consuming and a lot less rewarding than seeing what you get out of a brute force attack. I personally think a decent pw and 2FA is adequate, but am happy to be corrected...

•••
1 of 38 #ks examples (Registrar Paper form - that's difficult, but not necessarily impossible. e.g. Radiation #acks can be used to scan 2FA via hug, SMS (engineering), secret questions etc). All begin with a phishing email. No more comments. Do whatever you like.

Think different.

chgt-email.jpg

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed I was talking to people smart enough to avoid clicking on the links in a phishing email.

•••
•••
•••
Did everyone's pw get leaked or just some? Was it really in plaintext? Rob didn't really say anythingin the email. He seemed like he was trying to go with "pw not leaked" but change it just in case. No mandatory change required by him.

•••
•••
1 of 38 #ks examples (Registrar Paper form - that's difficult, but not necessarily impossible. e.g. Radiation #acks can be used to scan 2FA via hug, SMS (engineering), secret questions etc). All begin with a phishing email. No more comments. Do whatever you like.

Think different.

Show attachment 200179

Regards
Thanks for the comment. I appreciate that.
Personally I am OK with that risk:
  • It's not low-hanging fruit. Far from it.
  • I have no evidence that the attackers have my ID to social engineer something like this.
  • They'd have to get up very early in the morning to get a phishing arrack past me
  • I should receive notification of any such change if it were requested.

•••
Did everyone's pw get leaked or just some?
That is my understanding, though it's not necessarily 100% possible to know fully as some of the data has been messed with by the attackers (possibly to keep some for themselves).
Was it really in plaintext?
Some were in plain text and some were hashed.
Refer here and here for more details.

•••
epikfail-tweet.png

Source: Twitter

##############

The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is a set of security standards designed to ensure that ALL companies that accept, process, store or transmit credit card information maintain a secure environment.

The PCI Data Security Standard specifies twelve requirements for compliance, organized into six logically related groups called "control objectives". The six groups are:
  1. Build and Maintain a Secure Network and Systems
  2. Protect Cardholder Data
  3. Maintain a Vulnerability Management Program
  4. Implement Strong Access Control Measures
  5. Regularly Monitor and Test Networks
  6. Maintain an Information Security Policy

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Do u think there can be any registrar behind all this hacking.
No, in this case the hacker was an activist attempting to expose Epik's wealth of unsavory customers.

•••
The thing is all of this will have an effect on those people who are not that much technically sound.
Passwords can be changed , but my only concern is the exposure of credit card details and physical addresses.

•••
Did everyone's pw get leaked or just some? Was it really in plaintext? Rob didn't really say anythingin the email. He seemed like he was trying to go with "pw not leaked" but change it just in case. No mandatory change required by him.

Passwords can be changed easily. The bigger problem is that the Credit Card info was in plaintext. Now hackers can purchase stuff online with our money unless we cancel our card/s

•••
Back