alert Epik Had A Major Breach

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why do you want to give them a chance when you run a business and they screwed up with your data and messed up your life?
Do they seem to care?

yes, Rob told me,
that he was praying for me

and thanked me for praying for him
- which I never did -

•••
Yes the data was public in 2018 and prior to that others were scraping it - DomainTools.com offer paid
access to historic WHOIS data in their archive.
A lot of the EU based WHOIS servers redact personal information now. Even non-EU based registrars redact the data of EU citizens. Some ccTLD registries have gone completely dark.

So all EU citizens and residents could contact Epik asking what data Epik holds on them and requesting deletion.
That would be a lot of e-mails.

Regards...jmcc

•••

Regarding emails that were included in the breach that had nothing to do with epik, rather related to historical whois (possibly related to epik's whoq.com?) as I think Troy Hunt alluded to that theory as why his info might have been included.

I wonder if Troy's email or others who have nothing to do with epik, was included in the breach had something to do with epiks Whoq.com project?

If so, what does that say about data protection/harvesting by historical WHOIS services such as DomainTools, DomainIQ, Whoxy, and others who have amassed millions of email address and domain associations?

Last edited:
•••
French magazine Le Monde, just retweeted this hack to their 9.3M followers on Twitter. It is only a matter of time until this is picked up by the true mainstream outlets in the US.

Brad
And its very bad.
I speak french fluently, they are basically saying

"Epik a company that presents itself as the swiss bank of domains, accepts almost all clients, with a marked preference for the far right."

"The data stolen from the registrar is particularly sensitive and, it seems, very poorly protected."

"Militants and researchers already used the data to identify owners of far right websites and others used for crooking people."

Then they said the leak made all customers furious and epik's response was bad. They talk about the videoconference
"The discussion, which lasted three and a half hours and which is available on Youtube, is possibly one of the strangest responses to a computer security incident in history."

Then they show who was present at the videoconference, this guy
Screenshot_20210920.jpg

Then they talk about Rob, a man who presents himself as the Lex Luthor of the internet and who pubicly defended David Duke from the KKK.

Then the neo zeland incident where Rob showed the video on twitter. They say Bradden Pollock left epik's board because Rob organized a meeting where the video was shown in the company's office, they say it was obligatory for all employees to watch it.
Etc..

So you see the tone.
LeMonde is mainstream media.
So its definitively getting picked up CNN BBC etc..

•••
Exposed addresses could also be tech or admin contacts.

If you're a web developer or techie, and your client the domain owner transfers to Epik to save a few bucks on renewal, your email address is still going to populate that field, like it or not.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Any more info on this? When did he resign? What was the obligatory video?

@Braden Pollock

Has any domain news blogs covered/confirmed this yet? @EJS @OnlineDomainCom @equity78
"Investor Braden Pollock had announced that he was stepping down from Epik's board of directors after Rob Monster arranged for a screening of the video, which was mandatory for all employees to view, in the company's office".

Thats all they say.

I had no idea that happened, maybe its new info, idk.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Thats all they say.

I had no idea that happened, maybe its new info, idk.

The article links a now deleted/archive 2020 tweet by @Braden Pollock from 2020; so old news.

Une conviction qu’il avait par ailleurs voulu partager avec ses employés : l’investisseur Braden Pollock avait annoncé <https://web.archive.org/web/2020061....com/BradenPollock/status/1270526873580130306 quitter le conseil d’administration d’Epik > après que Rob Monster avait organisé une projection de la vidéo, dont le visionnage était obligatoire pour tous les salariés, dans les locaux de l’entreprise.

Maybe a poor translation, or poor reporting. As the "mandatory video" that lead to that 2020 announcement, wasn't necessarily a mandatory video, but a zoom call at the domain social. Or so was my understanding.

I also thought I heard something about Braden withdrawing his resignation, shortly after epik's VP of Qommunication (@Intelliname) threatened to expose unspecified secrets of the shady sides domain selling/sellers. To whit, the involved parties seemed to kiss and make up, instead of going nuclear.

recap: https://everything.explained.today/Epik_(company)/

16. 1270526873580130306. BradenPollock. Since @robmonster and I don’t share the same ideology it’s time he and I part company. I don’t agree with the direction of @EpikDotCom so I’ve decided to resign my Board seat, effective immediately.. Braden Pollock. June 9, 2020. https://web.archive.org/web/2020061....com/BradenPollock/status/1270526873580130306. dead. June 10, 2020.

Last edited:
•••
•••

So where do we stand today, is @Braden Pollock still an epik board member? Is he helping steer the ship from the shadows? Is his head in the sand? As an investor/boardmember, can he be held liable for this epik negligence?

Can somebody please ring him for comment? I see he has recently came across a matrix time portal. Or is that just a payphone?

Last edited:
•••
secrets of the shady sides domain selling/sellers

Don't want to go off topic here, but it would be awesome if someone of good reputation and significant experience would start a thread about this...I've got an example or two I would be willing to share.

•••
•••
Excuse me, what is this video that staff members may have been forced to watch or that was played over zoom?

•••
Excuse me, what is this video that staff members may have been forced to watch or that was played over zoom?

Judging by the timing of the articles cited archive link, the article seems to be referring to the DNAcademy/ @Ategy domain zoom social when an epik employee allegedly dropped/broke his phone and yelled some expletives during a moment of silence for George Floyd.

It was just a domain social zoom meeting. Not an epik sponsored meeting. Nor a mandatory video. It doesn't seem likely epik would mandate their employees to attend the zoom social, but maybe announced the meeting and encouraged attendance seeing how the social centered around domain related topics/personnel.

Last edited:
•••
FYI, I just saw the admin account with password 123. That doesn't appear to be an actual internal account. Doesn't seem to have admin perms set, was never a verified email account, and looks like someone simply joined as name "Epik Admin". I see no evidence it's an actual active administrator account with permissions. I also don't see the context for what system it is. It could just be a test admin on a test system. I make those with password of "password" sometimes.

And I do think Epik was wrong in some of its data storage. Passwords as plain text? IMHO there is never a reason to do that. On my own large site I basically did a data purge so good that if the site is hacked minimal damage will occur. I want to actually encrypt even IP's but it's a real hassle. Maybe one day. You can't really encrypt data like email and still maintain effectiveness because of things like a PW reset would have to search the DB. You'd still need a key locally that if found could unlock the entire DB anyways. So even with full encryption it's possible to get owned. Works with PW's only because it's data the server itself never needs to understand what it is. Just that the encrypted PW matches the entry from the member login. Not sure if what I am saying is obvious to people or over their heads. I been a sys admin 20 years. Never sure what level the people around me are at.

Ultimately, PW's in plaintext was unnecessary and bad.

Also note I know the VPN developer that sold it to Epik. I wouldn't be shocked if he's behind the hack. He has a history. But it's probably hacktivists that target Epik over politics.

Was all data indeed from a backup, including the many historical .ovpn files?

You can normally tell by reviewing the data when it was grabbed and possibly even the location. Example is my own backups don't include all tables because more than a few are either empty or memory tables (likes sessions) which don't require a backup. A good admin can tell (yes, a good admin wouldn't store PWs in plain text either).

I'm starting to think that Epik should better sell the business asap.

Why would they do that? If you're a customer and you lost confidence you can move. I really really doubt based on what I know about Rob that he'll just give up his hard work because of an embarrassment. This stuff happens to a lot of businesses. Rarely do CEO's resign or the business fail. Chipotle restaurant nearly killed dozens of people and they are still in business. So your CC was exposed, someone knows your address or your name, so freaking what? Everyone acts like they are living in a bubble and that they're doing something so secret that no one can know. Meanwhile the CIA and FBI can track you daily on your phone all they want. Jeez.

Perspective people. Registrar's #1 priority for me is for my domains not to get stolen. Raise your hand if this caused your domain to be lost.

Whois was public data for decades. Changed because of GDPR and the perceptions of privacy. Someone wants to get your identity, they will get it.

My Question is.... As most of these sites left Godaddy for Epik .... where there other hosts that they could have used aside from epik ?? The controversies seem to revolve around Godaddy giving the boot to these sites

I can speak from experience that getting registrar booted over your LEGAL content is a real pain in the ass. Your site can go offline indefinitely simply because your Registrar has some policy about the morals of your content even if it's 100% legal. Most registrars have a huge ToS/AUP with language basically giving them the right to shut you down. It's inconvenient and there isn't a lot of large US based Registrars that you can trust to be censorship free. Epik happens to be one of them.

btw, I was using a secured email that was ONLY for Epik. :) Experience has taught me that your security starts at your domains.

The only way to have a positive ending to this situation is to use this opportunity to bring some reforms to Epik and to the domain Industry at large

The reform is blockchain based domains. When browsers begin to include things like the .eth registry it will get interesting. We won't need centralized registrars anymore.

This data breach involves millions of people's information that have never done business with Epik, due to them scraping WHOIS.

So you're complaining that public data they scraped has been leaked? You need to think on that a moment.

Name is destroyed. Do you read whats being said online.
"a very bad registrar that hosts nazis was targeted by anonymous the heros and all their data got leaked".

Epik isn't hosting any Nazi's. Anonymous aren't heros, heck they aren't anything because they don't exist. I can with a straight face make the claim that I am posting this as a representative of Anonymous. I been threatened so many times by "Anonymous" that it's a joke to me.

Reputation is destroyed.
No one wants their domain at a registrar which is targeted by hackers and government agencies of all sorts because of their practice (being a haven for undesirable websites).

Definitely a tarnished reputation. Destroyed though? I am not so sure. I have seen worse situations where companies have recovered. Maybe wait and see what Epik does before calling them destroyed. Rob does have an opportunity to make amends, for changes, and new security. Basically imho he gets one chance to do the right thing. Also, Epik isn't targeted by "government agencies". I am sure if LE/FBI sends Rob a subpoena for information he is obligated to provide it and does so. Rob would be in a prison if he didn't, and he ain't, so...

Epik, being a small company, is done.
Sorry, but there's no way out of this.

Ever heard of the saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

Banned by paypal, banned by afternic, most domainers had already left them before this.

What's their domain numbers from 2 years ago compared to today?

No, all that matters at this moment is Epik taking accountability and doing what they can to mitigate further damage. They need to protect their customer's information and make anyone whole who suffered damages due to their lack of cybersecurity.

Unfortunately you can't undo a leak. The damage is done. Their priority now should be securing, altering policies, and then providing full disclosure on how this happened and what steps are being taken to prevent it from happening again. What do you think is going to "make anyone whole who suffered damages"? If you want some type of monetary reward you have to sue for damages and actually prove the damages. I don't see how that's going to happen when no domains were lost. Not saying this won't turn into a class action because lawyers love to find ways to sue. This might end up being costly for Rob.

I care about as much for Epik when they leak my information as I do for Verizon when they leak my information.

Oh yeah, Cox got me and all I ended up getting was an apology letter even though because of their systems someone had harassed me for months and that my family did indeed suffer mental anguish over it. But Cox just said oops and moved on. I wasn't gonna pay a lawyer $50k to go after them.

Why do you want to give them a chance when you run a business and they screwed up with your data and messed up your life?

How have they messed up your life? Holy mackerel isn't that over-stated a bit? Again, NO DOMAINS LOST.

"Epik a company that presents itself as the swiss bank of domains, accepts almost all clients, with a marked preference for the far right."

That's such propaganda. When you run a business like Epik you don't really care who your customers are as long as they are legal and don't violate your terms. I'm sure if Democrats and Marxists wanted domains at Epik he would treat them the say way. That's actually why Rob is in trouble politically because he simply doesn't believe in censorship. How novel an idea that in America you get to say unpopular things. Do you guys forget that Trump got censored and banned basically at every popular social media site? You okay with that? And being the Swiss Bank of Domains imho isn't a bad analogy, the Swiss are neutral.

I do hope that Rob uses this as a teaching moment that he has to run his business with more care. Getting into personal fights even if someone else picks them means you will lose every time. You have to take the high road. Your skin has to be thick. Ignoring the crap is your best weapon. Run your business.

Cancel culture is such BS. Since when did the freedom of the internet become the ability to cancel speech you don't like? No one should be cheering this.

•••
FYI, I just saw the admin account with password 123. That doesn't appear to be an actual internal account. Doesn't seem to have admin perms set, was never a verified email account, and looks like someone simply joined as name "Epik Admin". I see no evidence it's an actual active administrator account with permissions. I also don't see the context for what system it is. It could just be a test admin on a test system. I make those with password of "password" sometimes.

And I do think Epik was wrong in some of its data storage. Passwords as plain text? IMHO there is never a reason to do that. On my own large site I basically did a data purge so good that if the site is hacked minimal damage will occur. I want to actually encrypt even IP's but it's a real hassle. Maybe one day. You can't really encrypt data like email and still maintain effectiveness because of things like a PW reset would have to search the DB. You'd still need a key locally that if found could unlock the entire DB anyways. So even with full encryption it's possible to get owned. Works with PW's only because it's data the server itself never needs to understand what it is. Just that the encrypted PW matches the entry from the member login. Not sure if what I am saying is obvious to people or over their heads. I been a sys admin 20 years. Never sure what level the people around me are at.

Ultimately, PW's in plaintext was unnecessary and bad.

Also note I know the VPN developer that sold it to Epik. I wouldn't be shocked if he's behind the hack. He has a history. But it's probably hacktivists that target Epik over politics.

You can normally tell by reviewing the data when it was grabbed and possibly even the location. Example is my own backups don't include all tables because more than a few are either empty or memory tables (likes sessions) which don't require a backup. A good admin can tell (yes, a good admin wouldn't store PWs in plain text either).

Why would they do that? If you're a customer and you lost confidence you can move. I really really doubt based on what I know about Rob that he'll just give up his hard work because of an embarrassment. This stuff happens to a lot of businesses. Rarely do CEO's resign or the business fail. Chipotle restaurant nearly killed dozens of people and they are still in business. So your CC was exposed, someone knows your address or your name, so freaking what? Everyone acts like they are living in a bubble and that they're doing something so secret that no one can know. Meanwhile the CIA and FBI can track you daily on your phone all they want. Jeez.

Perspective people. Registrar's #1 priority for me is for my domains not to get stolen. Raise your hand if this caused your domain to be lost.

Whois was public data for decades. Changed because of GDPR and the perceptions of privacy. Someone wants to get your identity, they will get it.

I can speak from experience that getting registrar booted over your LEGAL content is a real pain in the ass. Your site can go offline indefinitely simply because your Registrar has some policy about the morals of your content even if it's 100% legal. Most registrars have a huge ToS/AUP with language basically giving them the right to shut you down. It's inconvenient and there isn't a lot of large US based Registrars that you can trust to be censorship free. Epik happens to be one of them.

btw, I was using a secured email that was ONLY for Epik. :) Experience has taught me that your security starts at your domains.

The reform is blockchain based domains. When browsers begin to include things like the .eth registry it will get interesting. We won't need centralized registrars anymore.

So you're complaining that public data they scraped has been leaked? You need to think on that a moment.

Epik isn't hosting any Nazi's. Anonymous aren't heros, heck they aren't anything because they don't exist. I can with a straight face make the claim that I am posting this as a representative of Anonymous. I been threatened so many times by "Anonymous" that it's a joke to me.

Definitely a tarnished reputation. Destroyed though? I am not so sure. I have seen worse situations where companies have recovered. Maybe wait and see what Epik does before calling them destroyed. Rob does have an opportunity to make amends, for changes, and new security. Basically imho he gets one chance to do the right thing. Also, Epik isn't targeted by "government agencies". I am sure if LE/FBI sends Rob a subpoena for information he is obligated to provide it and does so. Rob would be in a prison if he didn't, and he ain't, so...

Ever heard of the saying that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

What's their domain numbers from 2 years ago compared to today?

Unfortunately you can't undo a leak. The damage is done. Their priority now should be securing, altering policies, and then providing full disclosure on how this happened and what steps are being taken to prevent it from happening again. What do you think is going to "make anyone whole who suffered damages"? If you want some type of monetary reward you have to sue for damages and actually prove the damages. I don't see how that's going to happen when no domains were lost. Not saying this won't turn into a class action because lawyers love to find ways to sue. This might end up being costly for Rob.

Oh yeah, Cox got me and all I ended up getting was an apology letter even though because of their systems someone had harassed me for months and that my family did indeed suffer mental anguish over it. But Cox just said oops and moved on. I wasn't gonna pay a lawyer $50k to go after them.

How have they messed up your life? Holy mackerel isn't that over-stated a bit? Again, NO DOMAINS LOST.

That's such propaganda. When you run a business like Epik you don't really care who your customers are as long as they are legal and don't violate your terms. I'm sure if Democrats and Marxists wanted domains at Epik he would treat them the say way. That's actually why Rob is in trouble politically because he simply doesn't believe in censorship. How novel an idea that in America you get to say unpopular things. Do you guys forget that Trump got censored and banned basically at every popular social media site? You okay with that? And being the Swiss Bank of Domains imho isn't a bad analogy, the Swiss are neutral.

I do hope that Rob uses this as a teaching moment that he has to run his business with more care. Getting into personal fights even if someone else picks them means you will lose every time. You have to take the high road. Your skin has to be thick. Ignoring the crap is your best weapon. Run your business.

Cancel culture is such BS. Since when did the freedom of the internet become the ability to cancel speech you don't like? No one should be cheering this.

As a fellow developer that runs a SaaS platform, as you say - encryption can be helpful in these cases, but depending on the extent of the access gained by an attacker, they may well have your keys which would render even the best encryption useless. I guess you could offer zero-trust solutions, with users holding their own keys - but that's the stuff of nightmares when you consider the average ability of your users.

I'm not sure if this breach is just a DB dump or whether they gained full access to their servers. If the latter, encryption would at best have simply slowed the process.

But yeah, that said, some of the stuff being reported is jaw dropping, and is the sort of nonsense I'd have done as a junior programmer - logging failed passwords in plain text for example!

Last edited:
•••

Your mans paid to have someone (a criminal thug, it appears) to cancel someone in real life by intimidation.

Your argument doesn't hold up here.

We are Captain America in this scenario and the Monsters Inc. are the bad guys. https://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/captain-america

America has a long history of cancelling people like this.

But I understand some of you are from other countries, etc.

Last edited:
•••
> Again, NO DOMAINS LOST.

Thanks to hackers, to their inactivity.
NOT due to this pseudobank of domains.

Last edited:
•••
America has a long history of cancelling people like this.

You are not dealing with just one person here that can be made to disappear easily,

As a Human Rights and Environmental intellectual and activist I really don't like to silence (cancel) anyone's voice. Whether it's the far right or the far left I personally am interested to hear everyone's points of view as long as things are kept on the civilized and respectful side and I am hoping that we all can ascend to a higher level of thinking and existence by finding common grounds over the Universal Principles and Values that have been derived through Logic and Compassion instead of following the primitive and animalistic forces that seem to be in control of humanity at the present time.

IMO

•••
Thanks for tagging me on this thread. I have been keeping up with it over the weekend; it has been very informative to read the perspectives of people within the domaining industry. I feel for those of you whose personal data was leaked, and I truly hope everyone here is safe and their businesses are secure.

I saw the transcript I have made of Rob Monster's Q&A video was mentioned earlier when it was still half-complete; it is now complete through the end of Mikael Thalen's video (approximately 3h40m long, but some missing from the beginning and end), and I am working on retrieving and transcribing the portion that was cut off. He gave a lot of information on the hack in that video that he and Epik had apparently not previously made available to customers, so you may find answers there.

Any more info on this? When did he resign? What was the obligatory video? tagging @Braden Pollock

Has any domain news blogs covered/confirmed this yet?
tagging @EJS @OnlineDomainCom @equity78 @Domain Shane

Le Monde may have conflated Pollock's resignation with that of Joseph Peterson. I don't read French and am relying on machine translation; it could also be that they mean that Pollock resigned chronologically after that incident, rather than as a result of it. Or perhaps they've spoken to Pollock and he named the incident as a factor in his resignation. Anyway: according to Bloomberg in April, "But Monster had also been radicalized during the Trump years, subjecting his staff to florid conspiracy theories in staff meetings and spending more and more of his energy on politically charged work at Epik.... Peterson says he quit the company soon after Monster began a staff meeting by telling attendees to watch a video of the 2019 mosque shootings in Christchurch, New Zealand. He says the CEO claimed the video would convince his employees that the massacre had been faked."

Last edited:
•••
To people like this that genuinely think they're on the right side or have a virtuous position because of some opposing "beliefs" that they think are "more correct" I do feel sorry for you... It reflects more on you than it does anyone else. I'm assuming that this is where you're coming from and not just that you want them to fall cause you had bad customer service or something...

The hackers are not in the right, they're not virtuous, they are more scummy than how they see those they purport to be attacking and if true they're affecting lots of people that also don't deserve it. It's clear from the stupid little message that they left how ideologically driven they are.

I feel sorry for you as this is your reaction to this, you're not a worthy member of a nice community like this imho where you are amongst those that will be affected. Revelling in other people's misfortunes is not a good look.

What stupid message did the hacker leave? I think you are taking this too "personal".

Omar was just saying "karma" because many people do think that Epik is home to the far right, aka "racist nazis". And anti-abortionist . "Instant karma" doesn't mean Omar is evil or not belonging . I think you are too off and too personal in your judgement of someone .

Last edited:
•••

This.

Anyone yelling at Epik because of "123" password ever tried to investigate if that was actual internal account?

We are way too often believe "breaking news" we read on the web without verifying accuracy.

•••
> Again, NO DOMAINS LOST.

Thanks to hackers, to their inactivity.
NOT due to this pseudobank of domains.
Apparently, you're waiting for the slightest report of domain theft so you can have more reasons to bash Rob. Just let it go already, it's getting stale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back