IT.COM

Emailing companies with sponship questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

Well about a week or so ago I opened a thread here asking how to promote my forum. Someone suggested to email companies and ask for them to sponsor me with prizes. Does anyone know if this is against spam laws?Please let me know. Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know about legality, but whenever I contact companies with unsolicited email (usually domain related) I always add a line to reassure them that they were hand chosen because the domain/service is relevant to them, the email was not generated from a spam mailing list and to contact me with any questions.

I'd imagine some recipients think it is just a ploy to confirm valid email addresses though.

•••
I know some states (well california at least I think) have specific laws against spam, so its an iffy area. You're not actually trying to sell anything or promote your site to the recipient of the emails, so I dont know how it could be construed as spam. You're merely contacting a business about forming a mutual partnership. I agree with what Lasher stated though.

•••
instead of mailing, why not post it on namepros? i think one time mail done one by one and not via a mailing list is alright, if they don't reply then don't repeat.

•••
Yes,

Very important to not abuse the one time email to a specific company or a person. No way is it spam if you do a look up for information and you read in a search engine to contact so and so about the company. Then you certainly have the right to make a contact.

Roderick

•••
I got a lof of email everyday, they all have specific way to trap me to respond.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back