Domain Empire

Efty.com vs Dan.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I have tried efty in the past and it seems pretty good especially if you want to do your own payment processing.

I am selling more bigger ticket domains and doing that is no longer an option. Recently Efty partnered with Dan for payments. Dan handles payments incredibly well for a simple 9% fee which is one of the industries cheapest. I did a test transaction and no escrow was required, Dan handled everything.

I have to say I am more than impressed with the landers and the payment system.

So that said... if you use dan for payment then is there really a need for Efty?

The Dan platform is free and Efty is paid, seems to me the partnership has no win for Efty other than the fact that is is going to drain their user base.

Am I missing something there?

Is there any Advantage to efty I am missing here?
The only one I can think of is if you want to circumvent the 9% fee but we all know that no transaction is free, there is always a cost to safely move money.

PS. I have been doing this a long time and have always used my own landers, this is the first time ever I have transferred a trial 500 domains to a service to try. Dan immediately stood out for ease of use and incredible landers.

I loved the idea of Efty but did not go past the trial period for a few reasons, dan.com seemed to have filled all those reasons for me.

I worry that the Efty/Dan partnership is going to hurt the Efty numbers quite dramatically especially because you can add your own negotiation to dan for a reduced 5% commission. Even the most basic credit card transaction costs around 3% so to have everything handled for 5% is a game changer for private negotiations.

So for me, this is the first time ever I am actually going to keep an outside service over my own landers. It is a historic move for me given I have been doing this over a decade.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
EFTY + DAN CHECKOUT = 5%

They each have their pros and cons (currently I'm using DAN landers and have for a while, but Efty with DAN checkout has merit also)

Last edited:
•••
EFTY + DAN CHECKOUT = 5%

You can get that with any negotiation moved to Dan.

Ie, I post for sale on namepros, specify payment at Dan

Fee is 5 percent

•••
yes, but the point is with nice landing pages (which EFTY offers), you are able to easily checkout through DAN and have that 5%... not sure how their collab would be hurting Efty's numbers?

Last edited:
•••
Yup, that is exactly what I thought.

Dan seems to do it all and if I was using efty I would be wondering if a move was indicated.

There is room for both but it did give me a what if moment.

•••
I am wondering though...

If I have a domain at Dan without a negotiation and I bring in an outside negotiation, do I get the 5 or do I have to pay 9 percent?

I have so many negotiations I start outside of landers

Last edited:
•••
I mean in some cases the advantage of EFTY lander is the info you get if the person put real info including their email. (through DAN you just see their name and general ip location if they put the real info and didnt use vpn).

Last edited:
•••
"if I have a domain at Dan without a negotiation and I bring in an outside negotiation, do I get the 5 or do I have to pay 9 percent?"

>>>> So even if you have the domain listed on DAN, you can "import" the lead and pay 5%. If you started to negotiate outside but somehow the buyer sent his offer on your DAN landing page and the convo continued through DAN, you can contact them with proof that the negotiations actually was started outside and If I'm not mistaken, they honor it and take 5% as an imported lead. They are really fair cool people behind DAN.

Last edited:
•••
Efty also offers portfolio management and tracking of every domain that you buy and sell. Dan is just the marketplace and payment processing. I don't use Efty much anymore as a sales platform, but I still use the portfolio management system. The main reason that I don't use it is that I just got tired of dealing with escrow.com on my own and walking everyone through everything on every sale. I'll gladly give over a commission to not have to think about all that anymore.

•••
•••
I would offer my opinion:

I think differences are nuanced. In some ways I view them as direct competitors and in other ways they are going after different things. Part of their business models are different in ways that don't impact the average domain investor.

The main overlaps are obvious: selling domains, landers/marketplace.

Some subtle differences:

Dan

• From a domain selling perspective - smooth transaction, more hand holding for buyer through the process. Quite frictionless that way, helping with transfer/push. Often easily worth 5% or 9%.
  • From partnerships with Efty DNWE, and others (+ API) I see them looking to be a platform to process transactions. This is a slightly different/complementary use case to Efty. I view this as a different market to go after, as this is more like competing with Escrow.com for small transactions.
Efty
  • I've found you have more control of each part of the process. You get all the buyer's contact information and can communicate with them and complete the transaction how you see fit. You have better info that goes into your CRM system. Also makes it easier for due diligence.
  • With Dan you don't get all the contact info and you are limited to the chat box. Once terms are agreed you mostly just speaking with a Dan representative. There have been times when I wanted to keep discussing things with the buyer or pitch them other names.
  • Efty also seems to keep adding integrations so if you want more control and a super custom experience I like Efty.
  • Not to mention obvious subscription model vs commission

So that is my view, I think there are some differences. For a typical domain investor the main impacts come from cost model, amount of data you get, and headache to finish transaction. I think if you are the average domain investor the difference can often be minor. Overall I enjoy both.

You are clearly experienced domainer, but I hope this post provides some value.

Last edited:
•••
Efty also offers portfolio management and tracking of every domain that you buy and sell. Dan is just the marketplace and payment processing. I don't use Efty much anymore as a sales platform, but I still use the portfolio management system. The main reason that I don't use it is that I just got tired of dealing with escrow.com on my own and walking everyone through everything on every sale. I'll gladly give over a commission to not have to think about all that anymore.

Now imagine Dan buying out Efty and adding the domain management to their system.

Now go a step further and imagine dan buying out a small registrar like sav and adding that service.
They would take a huge chunk of the domain market.

PS. I picked sav as an example because they are small and they seem to want to look like dan anyways :whistle:

Would not take that much for Dan to go all the way by buying or merging with a couple of those companies

•••
Now imagine Dan buying out Efty and adding the domain management to their system.

Now go a step further and imagine dan buying out a small registrar like sav and adding that service.
They would take a huge chunk of the domain market.

PS. I picked sav as an example because they are small and they seem to want to look like dan anyways :whistle:

Would not take that much for Dan to go all the way by buying or merging with a couple of those companies
Now imagine there is only one register

•••
•••
•••
So that said... if you use dan for payment then is there really a need for Efty?

The Dan platform is free and Efty is paid, seems to me the partnership has no win for Efty other than the fact that is is going to drain their user base.

As someone has already said, I think the main difference is that with Efty you get all the data about your query, so you can see who you are dealing with.
With Dan I guess that data is more limited. At least no email is showed.

Last edited:
•••
I recently did a trial with Efty because I wanted my own custom Marketplace. Unfortunately there were too many "little things" about Efty that I wasn't happy about, so I cancelled the service within the first week. Does anyone know if Dan might be rolling out a custom Marketplace solution anytime soon? Something that allowed us to display our names, either "all names" or separate categories of names?

•••
I recently did a trial with Efty because I wanted my own custom Marketplace. Unfortunately there were too many "little things" about Efty that I wasn't happy about, so I cancelled the service within the first week. Does anyone know if Dan might be rolling out a custom Marketplace solution anytime soon? Something that allowed us to display our names, either "all names" or separate categories of names?

I have two Dan accounts, one public one which lists about 500 domains and you can click to display all the domains in my store.

The other account I have is a private account and it displays as domain seller. It does not link to my marketplace. I use this one for all the domains where I do not wish the public to know who the seller is. I asked Dan and they said two accounts are perfectly ok.

I wish Efty and Dan would merge because together it would be the perfect mix but if I had to pick between the two (which I did) then dan would be my choice because the landers are the best landers in the industry.

If I had one wish for Dan it would be to have notes so I could put my acquisition costs into the notes which would basically eliminate my need for a spreadsheet.

Since I use MapleDots in .ca for my main website I use the .com to forward directly to my marketplace at dan. The advantage to that is that you can sort in any order you want and when someone uses your link to get to dan they see exactly what you want them to instead of the default dan sorting.

Last edited:
•••
Hmm, I didn't realize we could have more than one account. I'll have to give that some thought.

I'll also have to play around with their "marketplace" settings. I remember there was something I didn't like about it (does it allow the buyer to see other sellers names as well??) but it's been a while since I've looked, things might have changed.

I would LOVE if Dan allowed us to set up marketplace Categories, so we could link to our own sub-list of names within the same topic. That would be awesome, in my opinion.

•••
Hmm, I didn't realize we could have more than one account. I'll have to give that some thought.

I'll also have to play around with their "marketplace" settings. I remember there was something I didn't like about it (does it allow the buyer to see other sellers names as well??) but it's been a while since I've looked, things might have changed.

I would LOVE if Dan allowed us to set up marketplace Categories, so we could link to our own sub-list of names within the same topic. That would be awesome, in my opinion.

You can technically open more accounts as long as you use your real information, this way you could use them like specific lists. Personally I am happy with two accounts and no it does not link to someone else's portfolio. Your store lists just your domains. You can go to my username in .com to see how a store looks.

Last edited:
•••
You can technically open more accounts as long as you use your real information, this way you could use them like specific lists. Personally I am happy with two accounts and no it does not link to someone else's portfolio. Your store lists just your domains. You can go to my username in .com to see how a store looks.
Awesome. Thanks. Time to play around with Dan.com 😀

•••
I have tried efty in the past and it seems pretty good especially if you want to do your own payment processing.

I am selling more bigger ticket domains and doing that is no longer an option. Recently Efty partnered with Dan for payments. Dan handles payments incredibly well for a simple 9% fee which is one of the industries cheapest. I did a test transaction and no escrow was required, Dan handled everything.

I have to say I am more than impressed with the landers and the payment system.

The only one I can think of is if you want to circumvent the 9% fee but we all know that no transaction is free, there is always a cost to safely move money.

PS. I have been doing this a long time and have always used my own landers, this is the first time ever I have transferred a trial 500 domains to a service to try. Dan immediately stood out for ease of use and incredible landers.

I loved the idea of Efty but did not go past the trial period for a few reasons, dan.com seemed to have filled all those reasons for me.

I worry that the Efty/Dan partnership is going to hurt the Efty numbers quite dramatically especially because you can add your own negotiation to dan for a reduced 5% commission. Even the most basic credit card transaction costs around 3% so to have everything handled for 5% is a game changer for private negotiations.

So for me, this is the first time ever I am actually going to keep an outside service over my own landers. It is a historic move for me given I have been doing this over a decade.
While sellers may benefit from Efty's 5% commission for BIN sales and 12 month lease-to-own transactions via Dan,
the sellers would actually be losing money using efty.com for initiating lease-to-own transactions at dan, for anything above a 12 month period, since any mark-up would be split between efty and dan.
In these cases the seller would be better off selling directly at dan, even at a higher commission of 9% and a 50% share of the mark-up.

•••
What I also like about dan.com is when someone types the domain into the URL bar it stays there.
Some marketplaces use something like this marketplace.com/user001/domains/domain.com and I prefer to have my URL stay in the address bar.

The other thing I like is Dan has full url's when you filter your domains. Simply copy the link and you can post on your homepage something like this.

Domains: all com net org xyz

So if a client clicks them he is taken the the appropriate filter on dan.

I had fun trying out some of the different links and such to customize them on my main lander.

Biggest thing for me though is notes, there should be a place on the back end to keep notes.

•••
@MapleDots - I'd like to do that domain redirect thing you mentioned earlier, but I'm not finding a way to display a list of names. Which setting needs to be turned on to enable this?

Also, @LaszloSchenk - how long until we can display a list based on the Category of the domain? I know you guys were working on this.

Thanks to both.

•••
@MapleDots - I'd like to do that domain redirect thing you mentioned earlier, but I'm not finding a way to display a list of names. Which setting needs to be turned on to enable this?

Simply go to your store at Dans

Configure your search and copy the url

I took it a step further and even made domain forwards from my lander that got to the appropriate dan filtered page.

MapleDots.ca/domains/com
MapleDots.ca/domains/ca
MapleDots.ca/domains/misc
MapleDots.ca/domains/all

They simply forward to my filtered dan addresses

Now you can go as fancy as you like, for instance my /all link is set to display the domains in order of the highest number of monthly views.

The possibilities of how you want to display them are endless.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back