NameSilo

domain economics.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

scottlanes

Established Member
Impact
I registered this a loooooong time ago (when my internic handle was sl195!) to do a project with a client and never did anything with it. It is currently just parked. It has no content and no appreciable traffic.

I think it has a lot of potential as a dictionary work with significant global interest. I have had a couple brokers give significantly different estimates on value.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-scott

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I expected that. Imo $50k should be an easy task.
I'd consider only offers at low $xxx,xxx range

Last edited:
•••
Low to mid $xx,xxx reseller.

End-user would be mid $xx,xxx and up.

•••
I registered this a loooooong time ago (when my internic handle was sl195!) to do a project with a client and never did anything with it. It is currently just parked. It has no content and no appreciable traffic.

I think it has a lot of potential as a dictionary work with significant global interest. I have had a couple brokers give significantly different estimates on value.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-scott
Hey scott ,this is what you do, contact wall street marketing departments and big financial institutions ,fox business ,cnbc ,wsj also contact big business colleges they got all the money and need to spend you my friend got a 5 million dollar domain , if I had a million cash id offer it to you. Dont let a dicker type try a fleece it from you.

•••
Send it to auction with a 100k reserve. Worst case it will get the word out that it's for sale. It's a mill dollar name to "the right person", if you can find them and they can find you. I would maybe do a press release about selling it to see if you can find the right buyer, and most economy sites would see the news wire. Or even put an add in US Today.

•••
•••
It's a good domain but too broad for use in commerce. Who could be the end user ? A publication of some sort, or a think tank (we all have a few in mind).
I think the 6-figure appraisals are optimistic. Honestly, I would not be shocked if the name sells below 50K.
Yes, I know the .net reportedly sold for 10K EUR but that doesn't mean the .com must always be worth at least ten times what the .net sold for. By the way, the .net is another expensive acquisition still sitting undeveloped.

Again, it is a great domain but some domains have more practical uses. It's not a name that can easily be developed into an authority website.
On the other hand, almost anybody can set up an e-commerce site. If you have a generic like shoes or gadgets or something like that, you must already be getting type-in traffic without lifting a finger. Just take the orders and ship them. Ka-ching.
Economics.com is not a domain that will make money for you without tremendous development efforts.

Here is my input.

•••
My guess $100K-1M
Extremely brandable and huge opportunities can be created.

•••
Hey scott ,this is what you do, contact wall street marketing departments and big financial institutions ,fox business ,cnbc ,wsj also contact big business colleges they got all the money and need to spend you my friend got a 5 million dollar domain , if I had a million cash id offer it to you. Dont let a dicker type try a fleece it from you.
Nice sugention. Try this bro. Hope u can get the best price. If someone told you that this only 50k or less than ignore him.

•••
Banana.com was just sold for over 2 Million $.... You have economics

•••
Banana.com was just sold for over 2 Million $.... You have economics

"Banana" conjures up a single effective image. "Economics" does not.

•••
Banana is hugely brandable too. Economics is definitely stern.

•••
If I have extra money I will buy it, though prefer a products domains right now.

•••
I think you won't have a problem sell it for 7 figures, I would pay % and go via broker. Great name , good luck

The more I think about it, the more I think you may be right about this.

Economic.com (singular) means something completely different. So the only option here is Economics.com and if I look at this broad category as a whole, what alternatives are there? Perhaps:

Economics.com
Markets.com
Finance.com
Business.com
Money.com

What else would fall into the same broad catch category and is an equivalent single word EMD? Of the top of my head, I cannot imagine there are many other majors which leads me to think that the relative scarcity, which must be important in determining the value, is extremely high.

So I think $xxx,xxx is a traders price not an end user price, which is more likely and end user reasonably placing in 7 figures. Don't forget guys that Business.com sold for $7.5 million 15 years ago. Now granted that it may be a much better domain and sold in the height of the internet bubble and irrational excesses but nevertheless Economics.com is very crucial in this category and the seller needs expert advice.

293 million results for "economics" on Google search.

Wikipedia definition: Economics is the social science that describes the factors that determine the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services.

Last edited:
•••
Economics is more of an academic than business word. It can however find use in a variety of spheres. From education to gaming.

I will advise you open an account with Sedo, put it up for sale (don't put a Buy Now price on it) rather set it as Make Offer. Set a minimum offer of 19,000 (so you will not be bothered by lows).

You are not obligated to accept any offer for the name, so don't worry. Pay up your renewal for the name upto 10 years in advance. That's about $100 or so. Sit back. Time will soon tell you what the name is really worth.

•••
So I think $xxx,xxx is a traders price not an end user price, which is more likely and end user reasonably placing in 7 figures. Don't forget guys that Business.com sold for $7.5 million 15 years ago.
It was the sale of a fully-fledged business, not just a domain sale.

Now develop a real, money-making business around economics.com and you can multiply the asking price. The question is, how do you develop it ? Tough isn't it.

I hope the OP is not going to nurture unrealistic expectations, because I am afraid he's getting a lot of overenthusiastic input this thread. Plenty of good domains have remained unsold so far because the owners are not realistic, they are waiting for an Arab prince who will sign them a 9-figure check. In real life this seldom happens.

I'm sticking to my opinion, this name will not even sell for 50K. While the name is clearly above average, it's not very commercially viable. You cannot really brand a business on a name like that. It is an academic term. It's not in the same league as money, business or finance for that reason. There are plenty of less premium but more practical domains available for use in commerce.

If you think I am too conservative, contact a few brokers, but not ordinary brokers. People like Evanson, brokers with a track record, who have achieved million dollar domain names. Ask them what they think.

•••
What's the highest offer you've had via PM since posting this?

•••
I'm sticking to my opinion, this name will not even sell for 50K.

Well I wont say it wont sell for under $50k because it depends on the seller. Great Domain Names have sold for much less in the past and it might also be very difficult to find the right end user if you don't have knowledge about the subject area. That's why I think a broker in this case might be a smart move.

The recognisability of that word is exceptional in the financial community (finance and economics go hand in hand) and not to mention that it has OBVIOUS rarity. Its definitely six figures and could touch seven figures for an end user on Wall Street.

•••
If I had that name and somebody offered me 75k for it, I would turn it down. It is worth at least double that. if not triple or even more.

•••
In domaining, I have learned one thing: the first offer you receive will often be the last. This rule does not apply to premium domains like this one, however you might never get any higher offers in the future.

I repeat myself but economics is not in the same league as money or finance. Those names are worth 6 figures at least and they can be developed into strong brands. As said above, "Economics is more of an academic than business word". Banana.com is in fact worth a lot more too, because it's got huge branding potential.

I think you have two viable options here:
1. Find a broker... if you can. I anticipate that some brokers will turn you down, not because the name is bad but tough to market to the proper end users (that could be a publishing house or a think tank).
2. Put it on auction at Namejet. Set a reasonable reserve and let the market decide the fate of economics.com :)

•••
I will give you 10K for it, if you are willing to accept payments, but I am sure you can get 50 to 100k without much troube, if you are willing to hold out. I could give you $250 per month. I am sure you can get a bigger offer than this though, but if you need some money to get by, then I would be willing to buy it for 10k.

•••
You'd expect a name like economics.com get decent traffic. Per Alexa though it is 9M website, meaning it probably gets 50-200 visitors a month.

I have an LLLL.org (hrfh) that gets that much without any promotion... Kate has got a point that academics are not as lucrative as business. Still great name though.

•••
It doesn't matter the domain name, unless you have sex.com you have to advertise it. lol.

•••
Natural traffic very often is a good indicator of additional value.

For example, HRFH gets lots of natural traffic because it means Human Rights and Fair Housing, there are regional commissions for that and people assume the website has to be with dot org. I just realized it on days that I have got such a great name ) All I need to do is put an info page on HRFH, directory of regional commissions, maybe a forum...

•••
This domain has the potential for 7 figures. If I was desperate, minimum of $500,000- IMO.

If I were the owner, I'd sit tight and wait the right offer. Why shouldn't he? He certainly shouldn't put the domain on a domain auction and let domainers rob him blind. Much like domainers say "it's a waiting game"... well, with Economics.com-I'd say there should be no hurry to sell it.

Definitely NOT a $50k domain. You cannot even get an Economics major at a high-ranking University for $50k. And now we are talking of a simple undergrad degree with one major which means nothing anyway. With $50k you aren't even graduating.

McGraw-Hill and plenty of other publishers would definitely be interested in this domain-or any top university.

This domain is definitely brandable! Economics is not a Humanities subject.

Economists earn how much a year? Quite a bit with the right background.

Upwards of mid $xxx,xxx - even $x,xxx,xxx.

•••
nice domain name

I'd hold on to it for some more and wait for offer
unless you're saying you've spent the last 20 years waiting for offer and now are feeling the weight of the wait

sky is the limit if you find the right person who wants it. so it's pointless to predict that.. what can be comented on is what would happen if you put it on flippa or some other site auction today... start it at zero and no reserve of course.. then I'm gonna say.. ~40k final price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back