IT.COM

domain economics.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

scottlanes

Established Member
Impact
I registered this a loooooong time ago (when my internic handle was sl195!) to do a project with a client and never did anything with it. It is currently just parked. It has no content and no appreciable traffic.

I think it has a lot of potential as a dictionary work with significant global interest. I have had a couple brokers give significantly different estimates on value.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-scott

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's def a nice name....and I don't think anyone will debate that.

But I think some appraisals given here are way over the top and very unrealistic.

I mean 7 figures was mentioned more then once....

Let's take a step back and calm down here.

Has the OP received any offers over the multiple years owned?

A domain with the quality as "some" are claiming in this thread should have received many good offers over the years....

I wish the OP the best of luck and the most out of a sale.

Appraisals in general here (not just this thread) have been getting increasingly more off the charts insane.

My two cents....

•••
If the owner really is looking for offers, why would he enable private whois?

•••
All these low appraisals, low $xx,xxx- mid $xx,xxx pfffft.

No logic backing them, only jealousy.

In reality: Upwards of mid $xxx,xxx - into $x,xxx,xxx range.

•••

i double tripled checked and I was not jelous

•••
I've been reading this thread since you posted. I think there are so many feelings or statements that you could take from this. I believe that any angle could be possible- meaning that people saying you won't get as much are right, and people saying that you will clean up and get rich are right....... Imho, and limited experience, I think that you should find an enduser. A big news company with deep pockets, and a strong pitch, and you have a winner. I agree that even though the word can be used broadly, the actual term can only be used to its potential by a magazine, big time player in news, some other type of media conglomerate, etc.. Wholesale, I think you are losing out. Retail, I think that you win big. ALSO, it's such a broad term, that you yourself could monetize it.

•••

All I see from those saying 6-figures and up is envy.

There's a reason it still hasn't been developed or sold and it's not because it wasn't for sale.

•••
I've been reading this thread since you posted. I think there are so many feelings or statements that you could take from this. I believe that any angle could be possible- meaning that people saying you won't get as much are right, and people saying that you will clean up and get rich are right....... Imho, and limited experience, I think that you should find an enduser. A big news company with deep pockets, and a strong pitch, and you have a winner. I agree that even though the word can be used broadly, the actual term can only be used to its potential by a magazine, big time player in news, some other type of media conglomerate, etc.. Wholesale, I think you are losing out. Retail, I think that you win big. ALSO, it's such a broad term, that you yourself could monetize it.

yes well said

a lot of opinions and realities

jelously could be factor too. but not for all.. though it does ruin many marriages.

bottom line is.. it's great name. if you look/wait for right enduser you could be milionaire with it. and if you put it up for auction, it'll be a XX XXX sale, I can already see it!

•••
•••
yes well said

a lot of opinions and realities

jelously could be factor too. but not for all.. though it does ruin many marriages.

bottom line is.. it's great name. if you look/wait for right enduser you could be milionaire with it. and if you put it up for auction, it'll be a XX XXX sale, I can already see it!

I think that you are accurate.

•••
For me its a great name. You got crap like MakeThingsBetter selling for 25k. Economics.com, if pitched to a magazine, consultancy, newspaper etc... could fetch you loads- at least XXX, XXX in the opinion of this noob.

Get two entities interested, and you will hold power. Sit on it, relax and make some small moves here and there- see what happens.

Best of luck.

•••
All I see from those saying 6-figures and up is envy. There's a reason it still hasn't been developed or sold and it's not because it wasn't for sale.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Envy is sometimes displayed by those who will knock a name down rather than build it up. The feeling being that someone owns something nice and the jealousy being the incentive to make it seem less nice. Also the fact that a Domain Name has not sold for a decent price to date is absolutely no reason why it should not in the future.

I cannot count the times that people late in the game are rewarded for their savvy and intellect by securing killer Domain Names at knock down prices simply because they were able to "conceive" of a use or understand the value of it where no-one else did.

Basically the reality of the Economics Domain Name is that it is CLEARLY a $xxx,xxx (at minimum) Domain Name if I ever saw one. The reason I know offers of $50,000 or less are absurd is because if we had an interest in acquiring Domain Names of this subject matter, we would already have made an offer above that level.

Economics affects every person and every business on the planet and I'm afraid to say, there is no two ways about it. So this may not necessarily be a Domain Name that is easy to understand for someone who is not aware of that or does not own Financial Assets and 90% of people do not.

However, if you trade or invest in real estate, stocks, bonds, commodities, foreign exchange, futures, options, mutual funds, hedge funds, etc then you do VERY MUCH care about economics and it may be the number one thing that matters. Likewise, many financial networks, brokerages, mutual funds, hedge funds and so on will literally EAT, DRINK, SLEEP and BREATH economics on a daily basis.

That's how important the meaning is - now whether the seller will capitalise on that or not is another matter.

Last edited:
•••
Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Envy is sometimes displayed by those who will knock a name down rather than build it up. The feeling being that someone owns something nice and the jealousy being the incentive to make it seem less nice. Also the fact that a Domain Name has not sold for a decent price to date is absolutely no reason why it should not in the future.

I cannot count the times that people late in the game are rewarded for their savvy and intellect by securing killer Domain Names at knock down prices simply because they were able to "conceive" of a use or understand the value of it where no-one else did.

Basically the reality of the Economics Domain Name is that it is CLEARLY a $xxx,xxx (at minimum) Domain Name if I ever saw one. The reason I know offers of $50,000 or less are absurd is because if we had an interest in acquiring Domain Names of this subject matter, we would already have made an offer above that level.

Economics affects every person and every business on the planet and I'm afraid to say, there is no two ways about it. So this may not necessarily be a Domain Name that is easy to understand for someone who is not aware of that or does not own Financial Assets and 90% of people do not.

However, if you trade or invest in real estate, stocks, bonds, commodities, foreign exchange, futures, options, mutual funds, hedge funds, etc then you do VERY MUCH care about economics and it may be the number one thing that matters. Likewise, many financial networks, brokerages, mutual funds, hedge funds and so on will literally EAT, DRINK, SLEEP and BREATH economics on a daily basis.

That's how important the meaning is - now whether the seller will capitalise on that or not is another matter.

Amen!

•••
If you have got 500,000$ to invest, would you be better of spending 50K on a name and 450K on development, personnel, marketing etc or spending 450K on the name an 50K on the rest?

While economics.com is a great name, it will not add the same value as money spent on development, staff, content etc. On top of it, if you want content and project worth the name, you need probably millions and millions more. Again, the name has natural traffic of 50-200 a month. Just check out similar value politics.com, they even put a web page on it, articles etc. and it still gets 300-500 people a day! Now go to newser.com and see where few hundred thousand spent wisely on actual development, content, staff on $xxxx name can take you.

People outside of domainers rarely think that way and they are not happy to part with their xxx,xxx on mere URL, however great it is. That is why high xxx,xxx and higher sales are so rare, you get only 10-20 of those a year.

If somebody brought in google.com name for appraisal here (let's say the founders went with find.com), 90% of people here would write "reg fee", while they'd be going nuts over search.com valuing it at $20 mill.

•••

It is quite easy to say you'd make an offer if you were interested. It's a whole different beast to actually make that offer. So, respectfully, your point is moot.

•••
It is quite easy to say you'd make an offer if you were interested. It's a whole different beast to actually make that offer. So, respectfully, your point is moot.

It's easy to understand the value of a Domain without buying it. Also, it would be a bit disingenuous to offer over $50k when we've already made clear our view that it is a 6 or 7 figure Domain, which it obviously is.

Well who knows, if our priorities change and its still on the market a few months from now we may well put in an offer but in light of our foregoing advice, we'd probably at the same time suggest that the seller could hold out for something better.

Last edited:
•••
The appraisals are very generous, but I would suggest that you build up a list of names that sold for 6- or 7-figure amounts. Such sales are rare. Most reported sales in that range are strong generics or LL.com.
Yes, fund.com sold for millions but again economics.com cannot be compared to domains like fund.com, money.com or finance.com. It is much less practical, and harder to develop and use. I wonder if people realize that.

Let the market decide. Right now LL.com are selling for 6 figures at Namejet. So the buyers are there and ready to bid. Put the name on auction there and see how much you'll fetch. If the name is worth that much then you should have no problem getting 6-figure bids.

•••
Such a great name for worldwide reach and development with huge opportunities! I hope you sell it and obtain what's truly worth!

•••
•••
Why not develop it though? It's such a great and important domain name.

•••
So how much would economics.com.es be valued at ?
50-100k at least
People say that spanish domains with english words are not worth, how come this can be 50-100k?

•••
Develop it really as it chance of life time.

•••
Reseller: $15K - $40K range IMO
Enduser: Depends on what they intend on using the name for, High 5 figures to Mid 6 figures.

•••
A gem, it is.

Totally agree with the following

IMO this is a 6-figure domain if you do not rush to sell. Do not let it go for 5 figures.

UPD: FYI, economics.net sold for 10,000 euro in 2009. A .com that is so premium has x10 or more potential.

•••
Your sitting on a gold mine. $100k+ easy. I honestly would'nt sell it. If that was my domain name I would be looking for funding. B-):$:

•••
Your sitting on a gold mine. $100k+ easy. I honestly would'nt sell it. If that was my domain name I would be looking for funding. B-):$:

Exactly. With a name like that, now is the time for developing it.

•••
Back