Dynadot

domain economics.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

scottlanes

Established Member
Impact
I registered this a loooooong time ago (when my internic handle was sl195!) to do a project with a client and never did anything with it. It is currently just parked. It has no content and no appreciable traffic.

I think it has a lot of potential as a dictionary work with significant global interest. I have had a couple brokers give significantly different estimates on value.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-scott

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It's a good domain but too broad for use in commerce. Who could be the end user ? A publication of some sort, or a think tank (we all have a few in mind).
I think the 6-figure appraisals are optimistic. Honestly, I would not be shocked if the name sells below 50K.
Yes, I know the .net reportedly sold for 10K EUR but that doesn't mean the .com must always be worth at least ten times what the .net sold for. By the way, the .net is another expensive acquisition still sitting undeveloped.

Again, it is a great domain but some domains have more practical uses. It's not a name that can easily be developed into an authority website.
On the other hand, almost anybody can set up an e-commerce site. If you have a generic like shoes or gadgets or something like that, you must already be getting type-in traffic without lifting a finger. Just take the orders and ship them. Ka-ching.
Economics.com is not a domain that will make money for you without tremendous development efforts.

Here is my input.

•••
All I see from those saying 6-figures and up is envy. There's a reason it still hasn't been developed or sold and it's not because it wasn't for sale.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. Envy is sometimes displayed by those who will knock a name down rather than build it up. The feeling being that someone owns something nice and the jealousy being the incentive to make it seem less nice. Also the fact that a Domain Name has not sold for a decent price to date is absolutely no reason why it should not in the future.

I cannot count the times that people late in the game are rewarded for their savvy and intellect by securing killer Domain Names at knock down prices simply because they were able to "conceive" of a use or understand the value of it where no-one else did.

Basically the reality of the Economics Domain Name is that it is CLEARLY a $xxx,xxx (at minimum) Domain Name if I ever saw one. The reason I know offers of $50,000 or less are absurd is because if we had an interest in acquiring Domain Names of this subject matter, we would already have made an offer above that level.

Economics affects every person and every business on the planet and I'm afraid to say, there is no two ways about it. So this may not necessarily be a Domain Name that is easy to understand for someone who is not aware of that or does not own Financial Assets and 90% of people do not.

However, if you trade or invest in real estate, stocks, bonds, commodities, foreign exchange, futures, options, mutual funds, hedge funds, etc then you do VERY MUCH care about economics and it may be the number one thing that matters. Likewise, many financial networks, brokerages, mutual funds, hedge funds and so on will literally EAT, DRINK, SLEEP and BREATH economics on a daily basis.

That's how important the meaning is - now whether the seller will capitalise on that or not is another matter.

Last edited:
•••
IMO this is a 6-figure domain if you do not rush to sell. Do not let it go for 5 figures.

UPD: FYI, economics.net sold for 10,000 euro in 2009. A .com that is so premium has x10 or more potential.

Last edited:
•••
I registered this a loooooong time ago (when my internic handle was sl195!) to do a project with a client and never did anything with it. It is currently just parked. It has no content and no appreciable traffic.

I think it has a lot of potential as a dictionary work with significant global interest. I have had a couple brokers give significantly different estimates on value.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-scott
Hey scott ,this is what you do, contact wall street marketing departments and big financial institutions ,fox business ,cnbc ,wsj also contact big business colleges they got all the money and need to spend you my friend got a 5 million dollar domain , if I had a million cash id offer it to you. Dont let a dicker type try a fleece it from you.

•••
All these low appraisals, low $xx,xxx- mid $xx,xxx pfffft.

No logic backing them, only jealousy.

In reality: Upwards of mid $xxx,xxx - into $x,xxx,xxx range.

•••
You might consider entering the domain into one of the conference auctions, that way it will get good publicity, have some top buyers (probably resellers) present, and if nothing else with the right reserve you know it will not go under the price you want (but please note you should always take into account the commission they chaarge as well).

Of course contacting everyone from WSJ to FT to large universities and economic institutions could be a great builder in interest for you.

By the way, congratulations on having such a great domain.

•••
My friend. I am an authorized broker here but let me tell you something no one has yet to say ....

Who's the Enduser ? It's a wonderful name and I congratulate you. I represent many one words, NNN, NNNN, LLL, and even Gtlds. There's one enduser I'd reach out to, but only one. Economist.com "magazines"
I would go at them with 800k and represent yourself as the broker and say you can't negotiate anything below 450k

My advice; list this with NameJet or Sedo. That's where you'll get the six figure price tag, maybe more. ;)

Last edited:
•••
Since you said you own this name for a long time you are not in rush to sell it. I guess you had offers too. What's the range of the offers so far?

No real offers yet, some lowball unsolicited offers in the 10-20k range

•••
Send it to auction with a 100k reserve. Worst case it will get the word out that it's for sale. It's a mill dollar name to "the right person", if you can find them and they can find you. I would maybe do a press release about selling it to see if you can find the right buyer, and most economy sites would see the news wire. Or even put an add in US Today.

•••
Banana.com was just sold for over 2 Million $.... You have economics

•••
I think you won't have a problem sell it for 7 figures, I would pay % and go via broker. Great name , good luck

The more I think about it, the more I think you may be right about this.

Economic.com (singular) means something completely different. So the only option here is Economics.com and if I look at this broad category as a whole, what alternatives are there? Perhaps:

Economics.com
Markets.com
Finance.com
Business.com
Money.com

What else would fall into the same broad catch category and is an equivalent single word EMD? Of the top of my head, I cannot imagine there are many other majors which leads me to think that the relative scarcity, which must be important in determining the value, is extremely high.

So I think $xxx,xxx is a traders price not an end user price, which is more likely and end user reasonably placing in 7 figures. Don't forget guys that Business.com sold for $7.5 million 15 years ago. Now granted that it may be a much better domain and sold in the height of the internet bubble and irrational excesses but nevertheless Economics.com is very crucial in this category and the seller needs expert advice.

293 million results for "economics" on Google search.

Wikipedia definition: Economics is the social science that describes the factors that determine the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services.

Last edited:
•••
This domain has the potential for 7 figures. If I was desperate, minimum of $500,000- IMO.

If I were the owner, I'd sit tight and wait the right offer. Why shouldn't he? He certainly shouldn't put the domain on a domain auction and let domainers rob him blind. Much like domainers say "it's a waiting game"... well, with Economics.com-I'd say there should be no hurry to sell it.

Definitely NOT a $50k domain. You cannot even get an Economics major at a high-ranking University for $50k. And now we are talking of a simple undergrad degree with one major which means nothing anyway. With $50k you aren't even graduating.

McGraw-Hill and plenty of other publishers would definitely be interested in this domain-or any top university.

This domain is definitely brandable! Economics is not a Humanities subject.

Economists earn how much a year? Quite a bit with the right background.

Upwards of mid $xxx,xxx - even $x,xxx,xxx.

•••
It's def a nice name....and I don't think anyone will debate that.

But I think some appraisals given here are way over the top and very unrealistic.

I mean 7 figures was mentioned more then once....

Let's take a step back and calm down here.

Has the OP received any offers over the multiple years owned?

A domain with the quality as "some" are claiming in this thread should have received many good offers over the years....

I wish the OP the best of luck and the most out of a sale.

Appraisals in general here (not just this thread) have been getting increasingly more off the charts insane.

My two cents....

•••
The appraisals are very generous, but I would suggest that you build up a list of names that sold for 6- or 7-figure amounts. Such sales are rare. Most reported sales in that range are strong generics or LL.com.
Yes, fund.com sold for millions but again economics.com cannot be compared to domains like fund.com, money.com or finance.com. It is much less practical, and harder to develop and use. I wonder if people realize that.

Let the market decide. Right now LL.com are selling for 6 figures at Namejet. So the buyers are there and ready to bid. Put the name on auction there and see how much you'll fetch. If the name is worth that much then you should have no problem getting 6-figure bids.

•••
Your sitting on a gold mine. $100k+ easy. I honestly would'nt sell it. If that was my domain name I would be looking for funding. B-):$:

•••
2 names I came across today on Namepros

cab.com

economics.com

dream names...no money:'(:'(:'(

•••
Banana.com was just sold for over 2 Million $.... You have economics

"Banana" conjures up a single effective image. "Economics" does not.

•••
Economics is more of an academic than business word. It can however find use in a variety of spheres. From education to gaming.

I will advise you open an account with Sedo, put it up for sale (don't put a Buy Now price on it) rather set it as Make Offer. Set a minimum offer of 19,000 (so you will not be bothered by lows).

You are not obligated to accept any offer for the name, so don't worry. Pay up your renewal for the name upto 10 years in advance. That's about $100 or so. Sit back. Time will soon tell you what the name is really worth.

•••
So I think $xxx,xxx is a traders price not an end user price, which is more likely and end user reasonably placing in 7 figures. Don't forget guys that Business.com sold for $7.5 million 15 years ago.
It was the sale of a fully-fledged business, not just a domain sale.

Now develop a real, money-making business around economics.com and you can multiply the asking price. The question is, how do you develop it ? Tough isn't it.

I hope the OP is not going to nurture unrealistic expectations, because I am afraid he's getting a lot of overenthusiastic input this thread. Plenty of good domains have remained unsold so far because the owners are not realistic, they are waiting for an Arab prince who will sign them a 9-figure check. In real life this seldom happens.

I'm sticking to my opinion, this name will not even sell for 50K. While the name is clearly above average, it's not very commercially viable. You cannot really brand a business on a name like that. It is an academic term. It's not in the same league as money, business or finance for that reason. There are plenty of less premium but more practical domains available for use in commerce.

If you think I am too conservative, contact a few brokers, but not ordinary brokers. People like Evanson, brokers with a track record, who have achieved million dollar domain names. Ask them what they think.

•••
I'm sticking to my opinion, this name will not even sell for 50K.

Well I wont say it wont sell for under $50k because it depends on the seller. Great Domain Names have sold for much less in the past and it might also be very difficult to find the right end user if you don't have knowledge about the subject area. That's why I think a broker in this case might be a smart move.

The recognisability of that word is exceptional in the financial community (finance and economics go hand in hand) and not to mention that it has OBVIOUS rarity. Its definitely six figures and could touch seven figures for an end user on Wall Street.

•••
If I had that name and somebody offered me 75k for it, I would turn it down. It is worth at least double that. if not triple or even more.

•••
Develop it really as it chance of life time.

•••
Your sitting on a gold mine. $100k+ easy. I honestly would'nt sell it. If that was my domain name I would be looking for funding. B-):$:

Exactly. With a name like that, now is the time for developing it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back