IT.COM

Dynadot 60-day transfer lock

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Please note that now that the domain transfer(s) are complete, there is a 60-day inter-registrar Transfer Lock on these domains.

Transferred a .com domain name to Dynadot and got the above message. Please, how do I opt out of the 60-day transfer lock with Dynadot?

I just called them and they didn't even know how/ said it wasn't possible. I never transferred a name to Dynadot before.

Thanks in advance
Eric

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this is not a dynadot policy, it is an icann policy that is followed by all registrars. it is in place when you buy or transfer a domain. if you just transferred the domain why do you want the lock removed?

•••
I've just never used Dynadot before. When this policy was implemented years ago, I opted out (as allowed by icann) with all registrars I used. Even GoDaddy!

I transferred the name from DAN to Porkbun just 2 days prior (but they don't offer wildcard domain forwarding)........ so I transferred away. Just 2 days later.

Yes, you can opt out of the 60-day transfer lock. Can someone please tell me how at Dynadot?

Thank you

why do you want the lock removed?
I want to opt out because it's an unnecessary impediment to selling domains.

Last edited:
•••
It's ICANN Policy to protect domains from being stolen. The domains will be transfer lock :
- 60 days after registered
- 60 days after change hand (except if pushed between account and the old owner choose not to imply the 60 days transfer lock)
- 60 days after change the registrar

After the change, the old owner would be notified, and if the change is done fradulantly, they can ask to cancel the move in 15 days.

So it is not Dynadot policy, but ICANN policy to protect owner from domain thefts.

Last edited:
•••
Can someone PLEASE reply with how to opt-out of the TRANSFER lock? Please don't repeat the incorrect answer. Thank you

Last edited:
•••
In fact, most registrars opted out of the transfer lock by default. A google search indicates Dynadot was one of them.

Finally found info on Dynadot regarding this.
Newly transferred .com and .net domains don’t carry a 60-day lock with them

This conflicts with the statement in my email from post 1.

God I wish E*** was still trustworthy.

Last edited:
•••
•••
If you wish to know, but if you still don't believe it, try again might you got it unlock (but surely it won't). It is explanation on Name.com but the same for all registrars as long as they member of ICANN. You can only cancel the transfer and bring it back to last registrar, if you feel it is transfered in fradulent activity in 15 days after transfer.

https://www.name.com/support/articles/234458468-icann-transfer-policy

ICANN Transfer Policy​

Last Updated: Jan 10, 2022

When a domain is first registered, transferred from one registrar to another, or has its contacts changed, we are required to put a 60-day transfer lock on the domain per ICANN regulations. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), requires that we place this lock on domains so we cannot remove the 60-day lock. This FAQ covers more detailed information on various aspects of the ICANN transfer policy and transfer lock.

What's new with ICANN's Transfer Policy?
As of December 1, 2016, an additional section called the Inter-Registrant Transfer Policy was added to the Transfer Policy (formerly known as the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy, or IRTP) to better protect customers’ domains and prevent hijacking and fraud.
What is a 60-day transfer lock?
Under the existing transfer policy, if you transfer a domain, it will be locked for 60 days. This is an ICANN policy so it affects all accredited registrars and domains—and is not specific to only Name.com. We are unable to lift these locks or make any exceptions. This lock also applies to new domain registrations.
The new policy introduces a 60-day period in which your domain is locked when you change its contact information unless you specifically opt-out. When you make a contact change, we will now give you the option of opting out of the transfer lock. If you opt-out you do NOT have to wait 60 days before you can transfer the domain.
What is a domain lock? Will it prevent my domain from working?
A locked domain will still function normally. It simply means you will not be able to move it to another registrar within 60 days. Your hosting, email, and other website features will continue to function normally.
Can I opt-out of the 60-day lock for a contact update?
Yes. You can opt-out by making a preference change in your Account Settings. If checked, this setting allows opting out to be your default option. Additionally, a pop-up will appear when you make a change to your contacts that will give you the option of opting out of the lock. If you opt-out of the transfer lock, you will not have to wait 60 days to transfer it (but will still have to wait for any other transfer lock to lapse). When the popup appears, if checked the domain will not be locked. If unchecked, then the domain will be locked for 60 days.
Can I opt-out of the 60-day lock after registering or transferring a domain?
No, unfortunately under ICANN policy we have no way around this.

Last edited:
•••
...we will now give you the option of opting out of the transfer lock. If you opt-out you do NOT have to wait 60 days before you can transfer the domain.
Been this way since 2016. I have not suffered a 60-day TRANSFER lock since that time. Most domainer-friendly registrars opt-out as the default.

60-day Registration lock? Always. Cant opt-out.

60-day Transfer lock? Never. I opt out always. But if you like it you can opt-in.

Last edited:
•••
•••
it states that it does not work with domains already at dynadot, only with domains brought in after the opt out option is chosen.
Exactly! That's why I want the opt-out enabled in my account. So domains I transfer in are not locked up for 60 days. Its too late for this one. I understand that. Just disappointed that Dynadot had this transfer lock enabled by default

Last edited:
•••
To prove this is true... no 60-day transfer lock... here is my transfer in to Porkbun on 11-16

porkbun.png

And here is the same name transferred out to Dynadot, on 11-23....
just 6 days later

dynadot.png

So the purpose of this thread was to figure out how to opt-out of 60-day TRANSFER lock for any future names I bring in to Dynadot... like all my other registrars allow. I think I figured it out. If not I'll stay away from DD. Thanks all!!

Last edited:
•••
It appears now to be unlocked.

•••

Thanks for sharing your finding @internext !! I was facepalming reading some of the responses/friction you were getting here.

I understand that. Just disappointed that Dynadot had this transfer lock enabled by default

💯... I've been frustrated by this policy as well; very happy you shared that link!

So the purpose of this thread was to figure out how to opt-out of 60-day TRANSFER lock for any future names I bring in to Dynadot... like all my other registrars allow. I think I figured it out. If not I'll stay away from DD. Thanks all!!

For further clarification, I'm going to tag @Dynadot to give them the opportunity to confirm (or clarify) the findings of this thread.

Last edited:
•••
I have the same problem, one of my domains sold at Godaddy, the buyer paid and now I have to wait 50 days to transfer? What? Never did I have this problem with any Registrar, they all remove this OPTION after I request to do so, even for domains already there.
I'm a client for 14 years, super bulk, it's my responsibility to opt-out... the problem is there isn't a clear way to verify I am still opt-out like I requested years ago... I do hope that the lock message on the email is a mistake!
https://www.dynadot.com/community/blog/60-day-domain-locks.html
(the link to opt-out doesn't explain how either)

Last edited:
•••
Support just replied and told me it's transfer lock, not contact change lock because our accounts are opt-out by default.
Problem is, their own blog, with help of ICA, says: "Newly transferred .com and .net domains don’t carry a 60-day lock with them."

Update: support told me I'm correct after all. Case closed.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
For further clarification, I'm going to tag @Dynadot to give them the opportunity to confirm (or clarify) the findings of this thread.
So @internext was correct, it looks like there was a communication error with some of our newer support staff that has since been rectified. I sincerely apologize for the confusion from our team and late response on this thread!

To clarify, newly transferred .COM and .NET domains do NOT have the 60 day transfer lock on them. The 60 day lock only applies them if they're newly registered. Some Registrars choose to have the 60-Day lock on recent transfers, which correlates with some of the responses on this thread.

If you do run into this issue again, please DM me and I will look into it for you!

Again, I do apologize for the late response on this!

Last edited:
•••
Been this way since 2016. I have not suffered a 60-day TRANSFER lock since that time. Most domainer-friendly registrars opt-out as the default.

60-day Registration lock? Always. Cant opt-out.

60-day Transfer lock? Never. I opt out always. But if you like it you can opt-in.
If you transferred from one register to another first time in a long time I've seen someone bypass the 60-day lock, it used to be mandatory so DM dynadot on here since they replied.

•••
Last edited:
•••
60-day lock, it used to be mandatory
not for transfers, only new reg. Dynadot acknowledged this. I've been doing this for a long time. I've opted out (manually at first), since the policy was first implemented in 2016. Most registrars eventually made 60-day transfer locks opted-out by default, making it irrelevant to most domainers unless they CHOOSE to opt-in...

Last edited:
•••
•••
@calebdynadot
Please note that now that the domain transfer(s) are complete, there is a 60-day inter-registrar Transfer Lock on these domains.
I started this thread (see post 1) with the above-quoted statement from the email I received upon transferring a domain to DynaDot. As it is incorrect, can you please delete it from your template regarding incoming-transfer acknowledgment? It would avoid confusion. Thank you

•••
@calebdynadot

I started this thread (see post 1) with the above-quoted statement from the email I received upon transferring a domain to DynaDot. As it is incorrect, can you please delete it from your template regarding incoming-transfer acknowledgment? It would avoid confusion. Thank you
Sure thing, I'll check with my team about altering that.

•••
Back