status-resolved Duplicate Posts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

ulterios

The Bear is Sticky with HoneyTop Member
Impact
As someone who is almost always logged onto NP and always reading, browsing and trying to help and learn, I have noticed that there seems to be more and more duplicate, triplicate, etc. posts lately.

I have noticed the last few months that this has just gone way up from say 6 months ago. I was just curious as to what the problem might be and if there is any kind of fix/update in the works to help resolve this issue.

I am sure the staff/mod's would appreciate not having to take care of these so that their time will be better spent taking care of other issues.

I see countless doubles, etc. across the site. It seems that many people are just ignoring them a lot of the time. These multiple posts are sometimes a PITA when someone is looking through a page and 1/3 of it is multiple posts.

I don't mean to rant, that's not why I posted this. Rather, since I am on the site so much I see it probably more than many and I was thinking that since we have such a large and active site to maintain, it might be a big relief to the staff/mod's to not have to deal with so many of these.

I was just curious if the issue had been investigated as to the cause & possible solution.

I only bring this up because it's been going on for a while and I kept waiting to see if it passes, but it hasn't and I (as well as others, I am sure) am just curious what if anything is going on to resolve this issue.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From what I've been able to tell, this is an issue with XenForo's JavaScript. XenForo has a system that's supposed to prevent duplicate form submission, among other things, but as far as I can tell, it has never worked.

•••
From what I've been able to tell, this is an issue with XenForo's JavaScript. XenForo has a system that's supposed to prevent duplicate form submission, among other things, but as far as I can tell, it has never worked.

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I figured it was either something to do with XenForo of maybe the CloudFlare system.

I have noticed that many times when you hit the reply button, the post doesn't show as it has been posted and stays in the reply box. If you refresh the page though, the post shows up.

I think that people just aren't realizing that their post has been actually posted and they are hitting the reply button again.

Maybe some kind of notice posted for member to read so they are aware of what they are doing might help. It's just a lot of clutter on the posts and I am sure all the staff/mod's get tired of having to clean up so many posts.

Anyway, thanks again Paul for the reply.

•••
It looks like XenForo's JavaScript re-submits the post every 10 seconds if it doesn't receive confirmation that the post was successful. I'm not sure where that confirmation is being dropped, but it shouldn't double-post anyway. So two mechanisms are failing here. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to debug because I have never been able to reproduce the issue; I'm just going by what I see in various logs.

•••
It looks like XenForo's JavaScript re-submits the post every 10 seconds if it doesn't receive confirmation that the post was successful. I'm not sure where that confirmation is being dropped, but it shouldn't double-post anyway. So two mechanisms are failing here. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to debug because I have never been able to reproduce the issue; I'm just going by what I see in various logs.
I " double posted" a few times, was able to edit it ("double post")..wish I could delete it instead.

•••
I " double posted" a few times, was able to edit it ("double post")..wish I could delete it instead.
Please use the "Report" link on the post, and a staff member will delete it within 24 hours. :)

•••
@ulterios - Do you notice this happening more often in certain threads than others? If so, please link us to some of the threads that you've notice it happening the most in.

Knowing the most problematic threads will help us. :)

•••
Please use the "Report" link on the post, and a staff member will delete it within 24 hours. :)

So you're asking me too report myself...I guess one of my personalities would enjoy that. Lol
Seriously, I hate bothering staff over such trivial matters, their busy enough but I will.

•••
Thanks Paul,

What I have noticed is that the system doesn't always show a successful post and I think what's happening is that people think their post wasn't made so they are hitting the reply button again, which is producing the duplicates.

Whenever you have any extra time, keep an eye on this thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-discount-codes.577802/page-852#post-4945861

Since that one is one that it happens through the day on most days. There is/was one there now, but I reported it so I don't know if it's been removed yet or not.

Thanks for looking into this. I think getting whatever the issue is resolved will help the staff/mods a little.

P.S. I have noticed that it seems to happen to many different members of different locations. I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with any location or area, but I have seen it happen to members from all over. IDK, if that would even make a difference but I was just trying to eliminate that possibility.

Thanks again.

@ulterios - Do you notice this happening more often in certain threads than others? If so, please link us to some of the threads that you've notice it happening the most in.

Knowing the most problematic threads will help us. :)

Hi Eric, Thanks for your reply,

I have noticed that their seems to be quite a bit of it happening in the "Domain Name Discussion" section of the forum on many different threads. It happens across the site but threads in that one seem to have a higher % of it happening than others. I'll try to pay more attention to the sections so that I can provide more info in the future.

I have noticed it on this one: https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-discount-codes.577802/page-852#post-4945861

The GoDaddy codes thread, which is in the same section of the forum as stated above. I post a lot of codes and helpful info there and see duplicates usually all throughout the day.

The only reason I created this thread is that I am sure the staff have better things to do than removing duplicate threads. I thought if a solution could be found, it would let the staff/mods do more important things.

Thanks again.

•••
After further investigation, it looks as though Tapatalk is to blame.

•••
After further investigation, it looks as though Tapatalk is to blame.
Oh, so Tapatalk isn't playing well with the setup here?

Is there an easy fix?

•••
It's not related to our setup. We will just have to do their job for them and fix their add-on. ;)

•••
Most of the time this happens when we post through mobile.

•••
It's not related to our setup. We will just have to do their job for them and fix their add-on. ;)
Well, hopefully it's an easy fix.

Save some staff time later down the road so better things can be done rather than cleaning up dup's.

Thanks Eric

•••
We've disabled Tapatalk. It wasn't worth the trouble; there were too many issues.

That should fix the double-posting issue. Or, at the very least, it will no longer take 10-60 seconds to make a post on some threads.

•••
We've disabled Tapatalk. It wasn't worth the trouble; there were too many issues.

That should fix the double-posting issue. Or, at the very least, it will no longer take 10-60 seconds to make a post on some threads.
Thanks for the update Paul. I'll be keeping an eye on the threads and post back if I see any other duplicate related issue.

Thanks for looking into this.

•••
Since we're confident this will resolve most of the double post reports, I've marked this thread as resolved.

If anyone notices it again, please open a new report and include the thread URL where you saw it occur. That will help us troubleshoot it.

But I'm optimistic that we got it this time. ;)

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back