Domain Empire

discuss Dropped Domain Curse

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Bought a dropped domain a few days ago.

Ever since have been flooded with offers of logos and websites. Not sure how many are scams and how many bad sales people. It has gotten as bad as getting a call from South Africa asking to launch a website.

Anyway just sharing my frustration but also trying to understand how these guys make money because buyers of dropped domains surely dont use their services. Then again maybe i overpaid and got on a suckers list ;)

M

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What you describe is perfectly 'normal' and happens each time you register a new domain.
Defintely need a good antispam.

•••
What you describe is perfectly 'normal' and happens each time you register a new domain.
Defintely need a good antispam.

Yep, pretty normal activity and used to get these all the time. A secure email facility with high spam filters does the trick - well it did for us!

•••
Spam filtering and whois privacy do a lot to cut down on this. Also, don't use an obvious email addy such as info@ and don't use the domain name itself for the email address. You can also block all mail from certain extensions like .ru.

•••
Just like how domainers use software to catch dropped names, they are also people who use software to see every new domain registered and the contact info(if not under privacy)..

They assume the registrants want websites or not too web saavy, so they jump on the contacts for business. Some even text your phone. Just add them to the spam folder as soon as they come in.

•••
Bought one domain and already complaining about the spam you get from just this single purchase??

Haha...

My spam filter list is longer than the Gazoo..and I still get about 100 spam messages in my account a day.

•••
Indians call it "KARMA", or domainers karma! previously I never get such as email! but when start to sell a domain names, and have about 50 list domain,they start to send me email! because most of them think, maybe most of domainer need seos or maybe web dev, because domainer level on webmaster kasta, I think on the lowest.
so that's why you will get some old trick email! e.g web dev, seos, scams, appraisal, broker and etc.
and if I have to be honest, the last person, that i want o send email is seos and coder! because who knows right ? probably they can pay 5 bucks and go to fiver and send us nice gift ;)

•••
I get these all the time, i actually lead them all on a wild goose chase just for a laugh. I reply pretending that im looking for design, and i ask for examples, then i get into haggling battles for a laugh, then i just start ignoring them while they're excited thinking they got a client.

Evil i know, but serves them right for spamming.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back