IT.COM

DropCatch captured names going to auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
I've been observing this for quite some time now and just want to share some detail.

> 90% of the .COM domains captured by DC never end up in auction. Those above $3K value in particular, but still in 4-fig range. So perhaps less than 10% of them go to auction in the end.

Which means they are 1) either bought via discount club, OR 2) (more likely) snapped by DC partners. Which obviously have the deep pockets and definitely the tools to identify valuable names.

In fact, what gets auctioned lately are mostly terrible names in my opinion, with some exceptions.

( Just the names that are registered in about all TLDs end up in auction; for the sole reason that they attract a lot of eyeballs and 100s of end users will place a $59 backorder on them. )

Note, I never got anything via discount club orders. No names. Whatever amount I placed, I was always overbid it seems. But I got a few at $59 in auction (or much more if I did bid up).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I recently noticed the same on some pending delete domains that I watch. I throught maybe it is a delay and the domain will show eventually in auctions. I didn't check again to see but I will do.

Last edited:
•••
I think to even consider Domaining nowadays you must have at least 10K capital or even more to start with and the chances to fail are higher. Two years ago you could build a good portfolio with reg fee purchases.

Last edited:
•••
I think to even consider Domaining nowadays you must have at least 10K capital or even more to start with and the chances to fail are higher. Two years ago you could build a good portfolio with reg fee purchases.
10 k is no longer enough for a fresher in my opinion. It used to be. I'd say 2-3 times that especially in this market.

Side note, I started with 40k btw and yeah it took aa couple years to see profit.

Last edited:
•••
If there is just one "standard" backorder, the domain will also not go to auction, so it's not just discount club.
BTW discount club is suitable only for really weak or exotic domains, otherwise they will snatch it for themselves (HugeDomains) and say that "partners have priority".

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back