IT.COM

question Drop Catching

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cocaseco

Top Member
Impact
I have a question that I was thinking about while perusing another hundred thousand names today.

How do the big dropcatch companies decide what to catch? Do they simply catch whats ordered? If not, does someone physically decide, or do they have some kind of script to identify names based on objective factors? It seems like they catch things that are not specifically ordered, for their own inventory.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Good question. I would love to know the answer to this as well.

I guess by people buying backorders. That way they know that if they catch the domain that they will at least earn a certain sum (like $69 with NameJet) and possibly more if there are multiple backorders. In the latter case they will have a public or private auction which can potentially earn them thousands of dollars.

•••
I guess by people buying backorders. That way they know that if they catch the domain that they will at least earn a certain sum (like $69 with NameJet) and possibly more if there are multiple backorders. In the latter case they will have a public or private auction which can potentially earn them thousands of dollars.

Yes, that's the obvious answer, but my question was more about the alternatives to the obvious.

They frequently have domains for sale that they own, implying they caught them for themselves. I want to know how they decide. They don't catch everything as crap names go by the thousands to for newbie domainers to hand reg and claim to be worth millions. But what differentiates the two groups...that's the question.

•••
Yes, that's the obvious answer, but my question was more about the alternatives to the obvious.

They frequently have domains for sale that they own, implying they caught them for themselves. I want to know how they decide. They don't catch everything as crap names go by the thousands to for newbie domainers to hand reg and claim to be worth millions. But what differentiates the two groups...that's the question.

I think that they have a list of keywords they want to catch and they scan dropping domains to check if any has a keyword in it. Maybe after that process, someone manually moderates the list.

•••
Btw, they often track good domains even if those are far from the expiration and once such domains expire, they add them to list of the domains they want to catch

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back