IT.COM

Drop Catching is Dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

I've just spent all day long going thru the dropping domains at NameJet, for my usual selection of keywords. I managed to backorder just one domain. I don't consider this time well spent considering it'll probably be caught by DropCatch. Does anyone else have the feeling that drop catching is pretty much totally dead? Is all the oxygen being sucked up by the Pre-Release Auctions? I don't think I'm going to look again at the drop catching domains. My time is much more valuable than these meagre pickings. I used to be able to identify at least 10 domains or more to backorder from the next 3 days dropping domains.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GD Expired is expiring GoDaddy domains that are in a pre-release auction, and these can only be bought at GoDaddy.

Pending Delete names are domain names from all registrars, not just GD, that are past the redemption period, and will be deleted and become available for hand registration again.

Also, my post above is a link to some of the most popular domain keywords. You can use it as a starting point to build up your own list of keywords.
Thanks so much. I didn't know it was a link.
Thanks for explaining it for me. So I think Stub was pointing at that GD expired section on expireddomains.net
Let me go through those keywords.
Thanks again

•••
Thanks so much. I didn't know it was a link.
Thanks for explaining it for me. So I think Stub was pointing at that GD expired section on expireddomains.net
Let me go through those keywords.
Thanks again
Namebio.com is a good site to use when considering the popularity of different keywords (some keywords will have 1000+ past recorded sales listed in their database, while other keywords may have less than 10, indicating that they are not very popular).

•••
Namebio.com is a good site to use when considering the popularity of different keywords (some keywords will have 1000+ past recorded sales listed in their database, while other keywords may have less than 10, indicating that they are not very popular).
Good point. I do use namebio and dnpric.es mostly for price comparison but now I just figured out that it show the number of recorded sales for keywords as well. It shows how popular those keywords are...

•••
mmm. I think it is GD Expired. But at the same time i think these are Pending delete auctions and not pre release ...:-/

Partly correct. Expired and Closeouts are both Pre-Release Auctions. There are no Pending Delete Auctions at GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
OK. After an hour of trying. I couldn't figure out how to even list the Pre-Release domains on SnapNames. I find that incredibly dumb on either my part or SnapNames part.

Just to correct my post of yesterday. Somebody like my post. So I am unable to correct it.
Of course I cannot use Pheenix for Pre-Release domains because they are drop catchers.

Last edited:
•••
OK. After an hour of trying. I couldn't figure out how to even list the Pre-Release domains on SnapNames. I find that incredibly dumb on either my part or SnapNames part.
What do you mean by "list the Pre-Release domains on SnapNames" ?

•••
It means what it says. List=View.

OK. I just finished searching the Pre-Release domains at Namejet. It took me about 6 hours, but I wasn't quite as thorough as I was with the Deleting Domains or the GoDaddy Pre-Release Domains. So I think I can say, that all 3 searches take about 8 hours, if I do them thoroughly. I limited my looking at the Domain Availability to 7 days, although they go out as far as 30 days. The quality was way better than the Deleting Domains, and also better than the GoDaddy Pre-Release Domains. But still you have to sift thru a lot of crap to get to the gems.

I found 1 domain auction which ends today, where I am the only bidder at the moment. and 5 domains going out as much as 19 days which already had bids, and so were at the top of the lists. I also don't need to do this work again for about another 7days.

We shall see what transpires with all these efforts. I've spent about 24hrs on this project. So lets say about 3 days work. But 1 thing has already been decided. I won't be looking at the Deleting Domains any longer. It's not worth the effort. Most competition was with the Pre-Release Domains at NameJet. But there was also competition at GODaddy.

Last edited:
•••
You can click on "Advanced Search" under the search box and then you can filter the domains on the next page.
same experience here but the only problem I face is that the auctions are over priced most of the times. Especially in the last few hours of an auction. I just see them going out of my price range.

•••
You can find snapnames, namejet and godaddy (closeouts+expired) pre-release lists on my website (ExpiredDomains.net) and a lot of other domain lists all in one place. I also have a pending delete list that is as far as I know the most comprehensive in the world.

From what you are writing, I think you can save a lot of time by using my website. At the moment you can enter up to 30 keywords per domain name filter (starts with, ends with or contains), so you could check your 150 keywords with only 5 searches per domain list.

You can use the saved searches system to speed it up even more. You have to invest some time to set everything up like you want it, but I think it is worth it especially for reoccurring keyword lookups. You can also enabled email updates for the saved searches. With that you will get 1 email per day including all newly found domains matching your searches.

If you have questions or suggestions, just post them here or use the contact form on my website. :)

•••
great effort kostaki .. I use your website on regular basis and I got to know about it on one of Ali Zandi's posts. From that day I am using it regularly.
The filters are great. Keep up your good work.

•••
great effort kostaki .. I use your website on regular basis and I got to know about it on one of Ali Zandi's posts. From that day I am using it regularly.
The filters are great. Keep up your good work.

Thanks and I will keep working on it! I have a user wishlist/todo list that will keep me busy for the next years ;)

If you have suggestions, let me know!

•••
@kostaki - I took a quick look from @fitkhan's recommendation above. But now I'm finished with my testing above, I can take a look at speeding things up :)

•••
You can find snapnames, namejet and godaddy (closeouts+expired) pre-release lists on my website (ExpiredDomains.net) and a lot of other domain lists all in one place. I also have a pending delete list that is as far as I know the most comprehensive in the world.

From what you are writing, I think you can save a lot of time by using my website. At the moment you can enter up to 30 keywords per domain name filter (starts with, ends with or contains), so you could check your 150 keywords with only 5 searches per domain list.

You can use the saved searches system to speed it up even more. You have to invest some time to set everything up like you want it, but I think it is worth it especially for reoccurring keyword lookups. You can also enabled email updates for the saved searches. With that you will get 1 email per day including all newly found domains matching your searches.

If you have questions or suggestions, just post them here or use the contact form on my website. :)

Great website. Used it for months. Just wanted to say thank you :)

•••
Like the product.A question,How do I create a custom keyword list

you want to signup
only registered members can use custom keyword lists

•••
•••
do you not use expired domains to filter drops?

•••
Nice thread! Drops becoming more difficult for sure.

•••
•••
I think expireddomainnet are good website, sometime I collect some spam domain to feeding my site, but unfortunately, there's some list that have high quality wasn't listed there, but I still that website are good, cause many ppl recomended that site, in many forums! I think you should try that site, and its free anyway.

•••
I can't imagine drop catching dying anytime soon. I've made ton of money off of one and two word .com domains I've found. So many people forget to renew domains. At least one out of every 500 domains expired is worth at least a couple hundred dollars.

•••
I can't imagine drop catching dying anytime soon. I've made ton of money off of one and two word .com domains I've found. So many people forget to renew domains. At least one out of every 500 domains expired is worth at least a couple hundred dollars.

Are you talking about Pe-Release Auctions or Drop Caching. Because most of those domains you are talking about, all get picked up in Pre-Release, and never make it to the Drop. And. Any decent domain which makes it to the drop, 50-75% of the time is picked up by DropCatch.com for HugeDomains.com. Leaving the dregs for the rest of us. I don't think Drop Catching (not Pre-Release Auctions) in anything like as fruitful,as you are describing. In fact. I don't believe it's worth the effort anymore, for the small pickings and huge competition. Sure. We still catch the odd domain. But as a business model, I think it is dying, if not completely dead.

•••

@kostaki Thank you soooo much for providing this amazing tool to the domaining community. Cheers!!:xf.grin:

•••
Stub, perhaps start your own drop-catching service? :)

•••
Stub, perhaps start your own drop-catching service? :)

Why would I want to do that if I think Drop Catching is dead :) Besides. I don't have the funds to compete with DropCatch, or, even to compete in their "inflated" auctions. :(

•••
Perhaps you can with resources, just wishful thinking. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back