IT.COM

poll Doxxing - Yes or No?

NameSilo
Watch

Doxxing - Should we do it?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No

votes
    84.3%
  • Yes

votes
    12.9%
  • Other - Please explain

vote
    1.4%
  • Sometimes

vote
    1.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact

Doxxing, also spelled "doxing," refers to the practice of using the Internet to source out and collect someone's personal and private information and then publicly releasing that information online in a revengeful manner.

The domain community is often subject to people who back out of agreements. It comes with the territory. When someone backs out after an agreement is reached, it is time consuming and frustrating.

So should we dox? Is it fair to dox? What are the consequences if we dox? How does doxxing help legitimize domain investing and reselling? Is Doxxing a bad look for the community as a whole?

We don't like being labeled as "squatters" so should we be careful we are not labeled "doxxers" to those outside of domain investing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While he did share the name and email of the delinquent buyer .. he didn't have to research for it .. it was actually "given" to him from Dan.com because the buyer reneged on sales agreement/payment! ;)
Yes, I attempted to make the point that because a marketplace has supplied the personal identifying information they are possibly opening themselves to possible liabilities if someone is doxxed by the seller. (I believe that point was misunderstood above)

I understand they (marketplace) release the information so that court options become available, but if people dox instead of sue, they may have to look at the options. Just another reason the community should not condone publishing personal identifying information.

(I only made this rebuttal to force you to bless us with another Doxie picture of Steamie)

•••
Whatever anybody feels is the 'true' definition of doxing, we all get what OP is trying to poll here.

It is never ok to post someone's private info on a public forum. And yes, an email address is personally identifiable information.

Namepros allowing this to happen and remain publicly available on multiple occasions is a disgrace.

•••
Definitely NO. Forget, ignore, be mad but move on. Until deal is done buyers should have second thoughts, it's not nice but happens everywhere, why should domain business be different.

•••
Just want to point out the supplied buyer info may be false, and if it refers to a third party who has no idea their info was abused, publishing it could be a double disaster.

Also, on some marketplaces an accepted offer means your listing is no longer visible, and it is prudent to remove or hide listings on other marketplaces until the domain definitely does or does not get paid for.

Effectively this means with no risk someone can effectively take an option on your name at that price (see other threads on offering domains for sale without consent of the owner) or simply have your listing removed to gain some competitive advantage, for example them selling a similar domain. So really I think platforms need to do more to verify ability to pay, get deposits in many cases to accept offers, and to have financial penalties and bans for repeat offenders.

•••

Doxxing, also spelled "doxing," refers to the practice of using the Internet to source out and collect someone's personal and private information and then publicly releasing that information online in a revengeful manner.

The domain community is often subject to people who back out of agreements. It comes with the territory. When someone backs out after an agreement is reached, it is time consuming and frustrating.

So should we dox? Is it fair to dox? What are the consequences if we dox? How does doxxing help legitimize domain investing and reselling? Is Doxxing a bad look for the community as a whole?

We don't like being labeled as "squatters" so should we be careful we are not labeled "doxxers" to those outside of domain investing?

No, Doxxing shouldn't be done in any case.

As you yourself quoted: We don't like being labeled as "squatters" so should we be careful we are not labeled "doxxers" to those outside of domain investing - this already says it all.

The common perception in the general public still, after so many years, is to refer Domainers as squatters.

I am talking about the common public in general, atleast where I live. When you tell them, I buy and sell domains, they would start saying - check if XXXX or YYYY is available (xxxx and yyyy here would mean the biggest company names they themselves have ever heard about).

So explaining the public in general, what Domaining means, takes much time, I have faced this many times.

We must be ethical in whatever Business we do.

Thanks,

Manpreet Singh

•••
The answer is a straight forward NO

When you get the parties information you can go after them legally for a binding contract or you can drop the issue and move on. Airing your dirty laundry in public gets your company indexed alongside the delinquent party.

So basically domain A sale was not finished by Domain A Bidder and now you air your dirty laundry. Domain Bidder A does the same on numerous occasion and more people out him. Next someone does a google search on Bidder A your company name is forever attached in the search to a delinquent account.

It is best to do your due diligence behind the lines and pursue through the legal system (ie a binding contract) or just drop the matter and move on.

You have to decide what works best for your company and leave your personal feelings by the door.

Personally, I move on, there is always another deal or purchase around the corner.

Last edited:
•••
I vote a definite no. Never, ever the right thing to do.
Bob

What is going on here????
That's the shortest post I've ever seen you make :xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

That said, I am in full agreement (y)

•••
What is going on here????
That's the shortest post I've ever seen you make :xf.laugh::xf.laugh:
Just wanted to shock NPs! :xf.cool: But did you read my 3 word blog post? :-P

Serious reason is my opinion on the topic of doxing is clear, not needing qualification. Others have already expressed the case clearly and well.

Re my short posts of late, been laid up mainly in bed for past week or so due to reoccurrence of a back injury :xf.frown: (I'm doing much better now :xf.smile:). As a result mainly interacting with NamePros with an iPad so have cut down length of my posts.

If you want the long version of my back story it starts this way

"It all began one very dark night near our campsite deep in the forest in a northern Ontario park in July 2001...."

It is not as exciting as that might make you think! I am off topic so will stop here. :xf.grin:

Have a good week in domaining NamePros friends! Let us all make the right choices every day.

Bob

•••
Buyers getting cold feet, or just plain changing their mind, is sometimes unfortunate, but does happen. It's not illegal to back out. Even if it's just because a better deal came along. It just sucks though.

I get much more concerned about theft, fraud and stuff like that. I would "out" anyone that ripped me off.

But I wouldn't go after a buyer that just changed their mind.

•••
Buyers getting cold feet, or just plain changing their mind, is sometimes unfortunate, but does happen. It's not illegal to back out. Even if it's just because a better deal came along. It just sucks though.

I get much more concerned about theft, fraud and stuff like that. I would "out" anyone that ripped me off.

But I wouldn't go after a buyer that just changed their mind.
It is an official, legal contract -- therefore definitely a legal matter when there's a breach of contract....

•••
It is an official, legal contract -- therefore definitely a legal matter when there's a breach of contract....
Yes, breach of contract can be an issue for a court (legal matter), but it is not a criminal offense such as "ripping off" or scamming.

•••
Doxxing is not recommended, you never know exactly who's who online, some huge guy might show up at your front door someday wanting to know why you falsely accused him and made his personal info public based on false or manufactured evidence that you weren't aware of.

Last edited:
•••
when you agree to buy a home and then back out, or if you agree to buy a car and then back out... the realtors and car salesmen don't plaster your name all over forums?

so don't do the same.

•••
a bit disturbed this is even being brought up as a genuine question. most definite no, that's ridiculous. if there's a legal contract being broken then handle it the right way. if not then shake it off and move on.

•••
Never OK. For all you know you could be putting someone’s life at risk.

Sh*t happens. Deals fall through. Either suck it up or call your lawyer.

Be an adult.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back