Chieff

Established Member
Impact
I have suggestion that downvoting should be removed from forum

Downvoting facilitate mob mentality

Don't know why community like namepros still have it

Reasons:

1. It stops ppl from sharing different opinions
2. People don't want to see difference in opinion use downvote as a tool to pull down

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Downvoting does nothing other than allow people to "disagree" or "dislike" a post, or label it as "bad/poor/spam" etc.
I don't think this is the whole picture.
Sometimes downvoting does something other than allow people to disagree or dislike a post, namely it allows to punish the poster.

If people "mob" to downvote then generally there's a reason, it's spam/marketing in the wrong place, badly written, bad advice, etc.
We can argue about the generally, fact is that group downvoting is also used in order to punish deviant behavior (in which case, using the (negative) term mob or the (neutral) terms group/community depends on whether one agrees with that deviant behavior or not.)

I think @Chieff meant this: the more tools a group has to punish deviant behavior, the stronger social pressure is.
Downvoting is very easy, compared to contradicting, arguing.
Anonymous downvoting, even more.

•••
I have suggestion that downvoting should be removed from forum

Hi @Chieff
usually with a poll comes the option to vote, maybe you can arrange things so that we can vote Yes or No, and then we can look at the results :xf.smile:

•••
I’m just the opposite; it’s not common;
but you should put your name behind your actions, especially if it is downvoting action.
Dont make downvotes anonymous, i made thread plead for which NP didnt accept, (i dont see my thread) Poll! (“Should downvoting be anonymous?”)

Last edited:
•••
I’m just the opposite; it’s not common;
but you should put your name behind your actions, especially if it is downvoting action.
Dont make downvotes anonymous, i made thread plead for which NP didnt accept, (i dont see my thread) Poll! (“Should downvoting be anonymous?”)
Thanks for the “agree” @DomainBanana
It would be nice to know who disagreed with you enough to downvote your +1 to -2.

Mindless downvotes and worst if encourages groupthink — @Alfa Mod Team @Bravo Mod Team @Echo Mod Team Some comments sections got rid of dvs; but you incentivize downvotes by keeping them “anonymous”. Should be ashamed; i “disagree” this NP feature. I “dislike“ it too. Take away anonymity from downvoting.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
It helps the forum regulate itself. I bet the mods get less reports. Haven’t seen a fight in here since. Trolls don’t last.

karmaco, two days ago someone put down this line
This unethical action on the part of the broker has already cost the seller at least $5K in legal fees.
In the same thread in this post #85 I've summarized what followed.

When I wrote #85 my Impact rating was 60-70.
Now I have 30.
#85 received 9 downvotes.
Those 9 **** are chasing backwards my posts and downvoting them.
Who is the troll

I agree with you that downvoting helps the forum regulate itself.
Whether it contributes to forum's quality, not sure.

•••

Now I have 30.
Who is the troll

It shouldn’t affect your “impact score”
So many repercussions for downvotes, at least take away anonymity; if you are going to allow affect impact

I hate it when it happens to me and my impact is 21,550 (atm) You are preaching truth; but i oppose taking away downvotes altogether; but anon shills should not have impact on anyone’s ”impact”. Take away anonymity.

Last edited:
•••
It shouldn’t affect your “impact score”
So many repercussions for downvotes, at least take away anonymity; if you are going to allow affect impact

I hate it when it happens to me and my impact is 21,550 (atm) You are preaching truth; but i oppose taking away downvotes altogether; but anon shills should not have impact on anyone’s ”impact”. Take away anonymity.
I disagree …just stop posting…your ‘I love you’ is in positive points in this thread 😎

•••

Now I have 30.
Who is the troll

I don’t know about your votes nor following these threads but reviewing it now perhaps you were pissing people off by hijacking a thread. The thread was about GD brokers not about his legal fees. Just a guess.

I have been downvoted many atime too. I just take it as they disagree with what I said or are my haters…lol

Upvotes are anonymous too. I don’t see how they could remove one without the other.

•••
Well I made abundantly clear that I wasn't enquiring about Berryhill's legal fees but rather about a $5k figure thrown up by "J.K.", but that wasn't the point karmaco,
the point was, with some perseverance downvoting trolls can throw someone back to Newbie status, and keep him there forever.
I don't think that's healthy for a community.

Upvotes are anonymous too. I don’t see how they could remove one without the other.
That surmise some kind of symmetry between upvoting and downvoting.
I don't see a symmetry in the damage downvoting trolls can do to a community with the damage upvoting trolls can do.
I'm not even sure the expression upvoting trolls makes sense.

•••
I don’t know about your votes nor following these threads but reviewing it now perhaps you were pissing people off by hijacking a thread.
After a couple of days off I re-read that thread.
Indeed, that thread was hijacked by my posts.
Of course it wasn't intentional, I even didn't notice the de facto hijacking as I was so focused on the meaning of that $5k figure mentioned by "J.R."

I feel particularly bad because that thread was created by J. Berryhill Esq., whom I hold in the highest esteem - actually in my spare time I keep reading his URDP cases. I think I'm becoming one of his disciples :xf.smile:

Anyway, my bad.
I see that thread is still alive. I wish I could delete my posts in there.
If some moderator is reading here, my apologies (particularly to @jberryhill)

•••
Must admit I never suffered many, if any downvotes before. So I only viewed it as anti-troll device. I know I can be controversial. but I don't do it to be stoke resentment. Sometimes just to open up a another school of thought. I didn't mind them in my thread about the over 50's I knew that light-hearted threads intent would go over some heads.

However it does seem it's becoming some members tool of choice. The anonymity of it compared to the notification of members upvotes seems really at odds with each other. If it's new-commers just disagreeing then I can take that as an inability to construct a valid counter argument.

I know I would at least take leave from the forum if it become prevalent and undeserved.. HURRAH think some. But, many downvotes seem to appear for the must innocuous/casual of comments.

Either get rid of it or make it accountable is my belief. Lets not have resentfulness become a issue, which seems to be a growing trend

•••
Must admit I never suffered many, if any downvotes before. So I only viewed it as anti-troll device. I know I can be controversial. but I don't do it to be stoke resentment. Sometimes just to open up a another school of thought. I didn't mind them in my thread about the over 50's I knew that light-hearted threads intent would go over some heads.

However it does seem it's becoming some members tool of choice. The anonymity of it compared to the notification of members upvotes seems really at odds with each other. If it's new-commers just disagreeing then I can take that as an inability to construct a valid counter argument.

I know I would at least take leave from the forum if it become prevalent and undeserved.. HURRAH think some. But, many downvotes seem to appear for the must innocuous/casual of comments.

Either get rid of it or make it accountable is my belief. Lets not have resentfulness become a issue, which seems to be a growing trend
Preach!! @BaileyUK for President.
Or Prime Minister.
Thank you!!

Last edited:
•••
Oh come on! We are all grown-ups here, downvotes shouldn't stop you from anything, get some inspiration from @QUAD DOMAINS 😄

•••
Get rid of anonymous downvotes.
You dont have to get rid of all downvotes.
Just get rid of anonymous dv; you incentivize cowards.

Last edited:
•••
Oh come on! We are all grown-ups here, downvotes shouldn't stop you from anything, get some inspiration from @QUAD DOMAINS 😄
I see your a new member. So no comment about flippancy.

Stay around a while. Contribute to the best of your experience and I guess we'll see. Re Quad domains, No I don't like to see that. Ignoring a thread, or even a members posts has always been the members prevalence of choice. I don't mind seeking out a new, perhaps more constructive forum. I've only stayed around to help the new entrants find their feet. Plus of-course learn myself from some of the more experienced hands

Last edited:
•••
•••
pocket rounders GIF

"Downvoting should be removed"
Someone can tell "Likes, Thanks should be removed"
This actions on forum, it's all about psihology: Why people focus on it( their Impact number)? Why and how rate others? ...

NP staff playing their own play. They are rules makers here.​

imo

Last edited:
•••
Downvote balances out upvote

I'm not going to make the point that up- or downvoting is fans behavior, rather I'm questioning the idea of parity or equitability which underlines most arguments for upholding downvoting.

"If you prevent people to boo the opposite team you have to prevent them to not support their own either."

What's wrong with this conclusion?
Where lies the fallacy?

•••
"Upvoting and Downvoting are the two specular sides of the same activity, so that for the sake of symmetry , of equal treatment, if we take away one option we should take away the other one too."

The problem with this argument is, within human interactions agreeing and disagreeing are not specular activities.
For example, when you agree with someone you don't need to explain why, but when you disagree with him it's appropriate to explain why.
It's not just a question of politeness, it's about the logic of human interactions.

Or think about this: someone explains something.
When you say "I agree" it's supposed that you're agreeing not only with his conclusion but also with the reasoning that led to that conclusion.
But when you say "I disagree" that person has no idea what reasoning lies behind your judgement.

Within human interactions agreeing and disagreeing follow a different logic.

Upvoting and downvoting are not simply the two specular sides of the same activity.
They are not simply two buttons, the left one and the right one, so that if we take away the left one we should as well take away the right one, in order to not create disparity.

I think it's unrealistic describing upvoting and downvoting as symmetrical, just as the + and - of the same activity.

•••
Anonymous downvoting is for cowards.

•••
NPs has changed since intro downvoting and for majority of NPs members, it seems like downvoting is essentially tied to an emotion of hate (giving = getting). The NPs management should not participate in accumulating hate.

IMO

Regards

•••
👎 Downvotes seem a bit counterintuitive for a platform that’s considered a vessel for education by many investors. Everyone is, in essence, a teacher and student here; so downvotes don’t necessarily support this dynamic. They’re a source of contention.

👍 Yes, Namepros is a forum; but it also doubles as a classroom. If anything, there should be a more constructive way to express one’s disagreement with viewpoints shared here. Needless to say, it’s evident the downvote is used as a mechanism to encourage division.

•••
How about downvoting/upvoting not getting accounted for anything? As currently it affects the "impact" parameter right?

Maybe change what affects the "impact" parameter? Since other than Up/Down vote, there is Like & Thanks too.

So maybe just Like & Thanks should be considered for "impact" score?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back