Chieff

Established Member
Impact
I have suggestion that downvoting should be removed from forum

Downvoting facilitate mob mentality

Don't know why community like namepros still have it

Reasons:

1. It stops ppl from sharing different opinions
2. People don't want to see difference in opinion use downvote as a tool to pull down

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Keep it but don't make them anonymous. Anonymous downvotes as pathetic.

•••
•••
It shouldn’t affect your “impact score”
So many repercussions for downvotes, at least take away anonymity; if you are going to allow affect impact

I hate it when it happens to me and my impact is 21,550 (atm) You are preaching truth; but i oppose taking away downvotes altogether; but anon shills should not have impact on anyone’s ”impact”. Take away anonymity.
I disagree …just stop posting…your ‘I love you’ is in positive points in this thread 😎

•••
I think NamePros should focus on building a positive, friendly culture where people support and help each other.

The downvotes do exactly the opposite, building a toxic culture of hate, and they are a big reason why I've largely moved on to other domain communties.

These votes rarely show if a comment is helpful or unhelpful, so what purpose are they serving?

Usually, they are just about personal attacks and bringing people down.

Anonymous downvoting is also a cowardly act. If someone doesn't like something I say, I'd much rather them react with a "Dislike" to my face than hiding behind a downvote.

Please get rid of the anonymous downvotes.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I don't mean to sound harsh, but you cannot protect people like this at the cost of losing useful information and accuracy. ...

Downvoting is very important on some mediums.

I don't see this as about protecting people, just creating a community that people feel good about.

Downvoting is important on some mediums, like StackExchange.

If it serves a function for certain kinds of domaining advice, then maybe keep it in a narrow part of the forum where precision matters.

In general, NP is more like a social network than a place where precision is important.

Most of the downvoting I've seen on NP is a kind of reactive, tribal thing, where people judge each other over petty things and try to assert their superiority by putting other people down. It creates anger, hate, division, and overall a negative user experience.

Last edited:
•••
It has been months since the start of the thread but NP staff did not reply to this thread either Why they keep the down voting or Will they remove it?

•••
It was meant to deter people from posting and its working remarkably well.
Already using fake usernames, avatars
of Fred Flinstone.
Also you can really hurt someones reputation much more with invisible votes as some get 5 or 6 compared to simple dislike or disagree.
No worries though, soon there will be a platinum account so you can see who is cruising around in stealth mode doing the good or bad deeds incognito
Been discussed many times before and I agree they should ditch.it

•••
I have suggestion that downvoting should be removed from forum

Don't know why community like namepros still have it

Reasons:

2. People don't want to see difference in opinion use downvote as a tool to pull down
I think down-voting should stay but require a reply. I can disagree with your decision, but state why. Thus would deter down-voting "Just because" and allow more conversation to the topic at hand. There should be both sides of the coin. If this going to be more than just Reditt, a discussion would be better suited than just down-voting alone.

Last edited:
•••
Downvote balances out upvote, if the site only allows upvote then the net votes on a post is entirely skewed.

There's a reason many social media sites don't allow down votes: these sites work to cultivate a friendly, positive, welcoming community. They want people to feel good when they use the site.

Downvotes do the opposite. They leave people feeling bad and build a culture of hate and division.

•••
i forgot about @abstractdomainer
this is probably why he doesnt log in anymore.

@QUAD DOMAINS comes to mind, disgusting; what they do to him. Mel takes it all in stride; the nicest guy on NP; and does not deserve the negative impact;

at least @Blueleaf66 impact score exceeds his or her post count, blueleaf66 is still in a very good position.

All the best to you! i pray NP removes anon dv.
Completely agree with you regarding QUAD. I don't get what's going on.

Personally, I don't care about the score etc.,but seeing lots of good folks being CONSTANTLY downvoted and experiencing it myself, I can't agree with this practice. So I just asked for account closure. Lots of good folks here, though. Really.
I am not a fan of anonymous downvoting. I have opened a thread in this section about it, at least once.

I have mentioned it many times in posts, in fact several of those posts have been removed by mods.

None of those downvotes are from me. On rare occasions, I will leave a dislike. But, that is public.

I think it is clear that certain subjects and users unfairly attract excessive downvotes.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Also you can really hurt someones reputation much more with invisible votes as some get 5 or 6 compared to simple dislike or disagree.
Imagine this: someone doesn't like a post of mine, either its content or simply its tone.

Now he goes to my profile and from there he hunts down my posting history downvoting each one of my posts.
Currently I have an impact rating of 58, with ca 40-50 posts.
I.e. he could wipe out 80-90% of my impact rating in less than 1 hour!

Now imagine further: for some reason he takes it so personal that he makes a routine out of it: every month's end.
My impact rating would be doomed to stay at zero forever!

•••
I don’t know about your votes nor following these threads but reviewing it now perhaps you were pissing people off by hijacking a thread.
After a couple of days off I re-read that thread.
Indeed, that thread was hijacked by my posts.
Of course it wasn't intentional, I even didn't notice the de facto hijacking as I was so focused on the meaning of that $5k figure mentioned by "J.R."

I feel particularly bad because that thread was created by J. Berryhill Esq., whom I hold in the highest esteem - actually in my spare time I keep reading his URDP cases. I think I'm becoming one of his disciples :xf.smile:

Anyway, my bad.
I see that thread is still alive. I wish I could delete my posts in there.
If some moderator is reading here, my apologies (particularly to @jberryhill)

•••
Oh come on! We are all grown-ups here, downvotes shouldn't stop you from anything, get some inspiration from @QUAD DOMAINS 😄

•••
Yes, it is interesting that NP hasn't responded at all.

Regarding my view of the topic at hand, I would start by giving the following background:

I would say there is no doubt at all that there is a significant herd mentality on this forum whereby certain members can sway the votes one way or another. Naturally, there are some members who've been around for a fair while who will receive a bunch of upvotes solely because they posted, and not necessarily due to the content of their post. But on the other hand, I've certainly observed the opposite - where a particular member can post the same thing but in a different way, and they will get multiple downvotes to many of their posts. It can also happen when a respected member posts a view that is contrary to another member, and the second member will start receiving numerous downvotes. This is not the fault of the respected member (nor necessarily their intention), but does seem to be a product of the herd mentality at times (and inclination for others to 'support' the respected member), rather than a genuine disagreement with the second member's post.

I can certainly see that there are times when a member might want to downvote anonymously. And there are probably more reasons why they shouldn't be allowed to. So I am actually undecided on whether or not the anonymity is a major problem.

Rather, in my opinion, the biggest issue is not necessarily the anonymity of downvotes, but it's the ability to place up to 4 anonymous downvotes and up to 8 anonymous upvotes. So, all it would take is me and 4 mates (or extra accounts) to give your post 40 upvotes, or 20 downvotes. Either way, it puts a huge amount of emphasis on the opinion (or likes/dislikes) of certain members who use the system like this.

I reckon the better way (if anonymity is allowed) is to allow a single downvote and maybe 2 upvotes. If you want to place more downvotes than that, then you must use the disagree or dislike button so that at least one of your downvotes is not anonymous. And similarly, if you want to place extra upvotes this should be done via Like/Thanks/Agree so that those votes are public.

•••
There's a reason why many social media sites don't allow down votes
Indeed.
We can discuss about the why's of that, fact is the downvoting option is not the norm.
There must be a reason for that

I think down-voting should stay but require a reply.
Agree.
Think about real life: you tell something to someone. He/she says "I disagree".
Period. No explanation, no nothing. Doesn't it feel weird?

•••
It helps the forum regulate itself. I bet the mods get less reports. Haven’t seen a fight in here since. Trolls don’t last.

karmaco, two days ago someone put down this line
This unethical action on the part of the broker has already cost the seller at least $5K in legal fees.
In the same thread in this post #85 I've summarized what followed.

When I wrote #85 my Impact rating was 60-70.
Now I have 30.
#85 received 9 downvotes.
Those 9 **** are chasing backwards my posts and downvoting them.
Who is the troll

I agree with you that downvoting helps the forum regulate itself.
Whether it contributes to forum's quality, not sure.

•••
Yes its a joke. Keep anonymous upvotes but not downvotes.
If someone wants to lower your impact, show your np face and limit it to one
@abstractdomainer got hammered for prob 1000 invisible downvotes.
I tried to even it out but someone doesnt have a job. Where i am hard at work now
Amazing we can talk about the quality of namepros and have a paying member leave with no input from higher powers.
Make sure you cancel your upgrade @Blueleaf66 before you close your account. All the best to you.
Maybe this invisible downvoting costing them money will help make a difference to them.

If you dont improve things they wont go up in value
~Bob P
Thanks buddy. All the best to you.

•••
They removed your posfs. Off topic 😂
Threads like this boost our STR
I voted in your thread samer

•••
I think you need to understand cause and effect. Downvoting does nothing other than allow people to "disagree" or "dislike" a post, or label it as "bad/poor/spam" etc. If people "mob" to downvote then generally there's a reason, it's spam/marketing in the wrong place, badly written, bad advice, etc.

With your argument, upvoting could also "facilitate mob mentality" - popular forum users can get upvoted just because people know them, more than non-popular ones. Someone well known can post and get 20 upvotes, and the same post by someone unknown may only get 5 or 10.

Do we remove upvoting too?

No, removing the downvote stops people sharing accurate opinions. Downvote balances out upvote, if the site only allows upvote then the net votes on a post is entirely skewed.

Say 10 people want to upvote, without downvote the net votes is "+10". But what if those 10 people are misguided, uneducated in the context/topic, etc? And 25 people would have downvoted. With downvote functionality the net votes is now "0" - which reflects a more structured and accurate representation of the users overall opinion of a post.

People don't like negativity, but downvoting is not by nature "negative" it's just an opinion of something. By removing downvote you are forcing people's opinions by only allowing upvote (or no vote).

If a post is bad, spam, people disagree, or it's misinformation, then allow the site's voting mechanics to reflect this.

•••
pocket rounders GIF

"Downvoting should be removed"
Someone can tell "Likes, Thanks should be removed"
This actions on forum, it's all about psihology: Why people focus on it( their Impact number)? Why and how rate others? ...

NP staff playing their own play. They are rules makers here.​

imo

Last edited:
•••
For the NPs Admins & Ownership ... Open / Public message:

Remove angry bird anon Up & Down voting before is too late. You know it is harmful / hate collector / and I know where this will end. (And you know I can predict the outcome based on external data ... Back in 2019 I warn you about the E RM promo but you didn't want to understand... + you allowed the dot Best CEO shameless shilling).

I'm asking to roll back, update ToS + start respecting what other people have to say & suggest - based on their experience. More and more positive thinking members starts to contribute ZERO. Only a bunch of us trying to bring common sense - the rest ... well, go figure.

Enough is Enough.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think the downvotes must be from NP staff and I don't really care.
I am just telling the truth. It does not matter you downvote or not. They just ignore the request. Period.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back