IT.COM

.mobi Down to One .mobi Domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am down to owning just one .mobi domain. I know this is a sensitive subject, but with all the new phones out there that deliver near desktop quality web surfing experience, why do we even need the .mobi anymore?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We need to get rid of the dogs, in all extensions :D

•••
.mobi domains can be used to deliver sites to any and all devices just like any other TLD. It's a branding choice that some like and others don't. From a PC-centric perspective some use .mobi, some use alternate mobile naming conventions like mdot, some auto-redirect users to a mobile site, some don't bother offering a mobile site at all. IMO .mobi's best position is for mobile-only focused websites.

None of this matters if you have garbage to the left of the dot, as sdsinc has suggested, toss the trash in all extensions.

•••
I am down to owning just one .mobi domain. I know this is a sensitive subject, but with all the new phones out there that deliver near desktop quality web surfing experience, why do we even need the .mobi anymore?

hi,
.mobi still has a place in the mobile world, for mobile related keywords
better to own one decent .mobi than a 1000 that have no relevence to mobile phones.
I still own 2, thats my excuse for owning them - and im sticking with it! :rolleyes:
best regards.

•••
You've made the right choice, it is an area that hasn't worked out with the vast majority of domainers seeing losses from it.

•••
I would think that with all the smart phones, and now tablets springing up and how users are getting fed up with their data being ate up from ads that pure and simple mobile domains would increase in value

•••
.Org gets about 3% of the registrations that .Com does. If Mobi can get 3% of new mobile web sites then it will be successful for those who bought wisely. I still think that is a reasonable goal. The controversy is among domainers, the domain buying public does not care what Flowers.mobi sold for. With the .Com priced high, the .Mobi will look very good to mobile-centered webmasters.

Just heard that this Christmas, for the first time, they expect to sell as many smart phones as dumb ones. The mobile web is still a youngster, Mobi's success or failure is yet to be determined.

•••
.Org gets about 3% of the registrations that .Com does. If Mobi can get 3% of new mobile web sites then it will be successful for those who bought wisely. I still think that is a reasonable goal. The controversy is among domainers, the domain buying public does not care what Flowers.mobi sold for. With the .Com priced high, the .Mobi will look very good to mobile-centered webmasters.

Just heard that this Christmas, for the first time, they expect to sell as many smart phones as dumb ones. The mobile web is still a youngster, Mobi's success or failure is yet to be determined.

Meanwhile the some of the most powerful companies online and in the mobile space have dumped their support of this extension.

(Google, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung, Ericsson, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Telefónica Móviles, Telecom Italia Mobile, Orascom Telecom, GSM Association , Hutchison Whampoa, Syniverse Technologies, and Visa,)

What domainers are or aren't paying just reflects that situation with this extension, ie most no longer feel it has good potential.

•••
Gosh, and I'm up two already this year..

•••
I bought DumbPage.com, .net and .mobi

The idea behind the site is a simple Funny Videos site. The .mobi extension is there for mobile users that are in school or in the car (mostly kids) and they want easily obtainable funny entertainment. At this point in time, it seems .mobi is only useful for websites that want to have a DISTINCT web presence. You can use your .mobi to start playing with the framework of mobile browsing.

Mobile Browsing will evolve, I'm guessing there will even be a Mobile Version of HTML, made to load pages faster, that sounds like it should already exist, maybe I need to do more research too.

•••
why do we even need the .mobi anymore?
who do you care about ? domainers or end users ?

for domainers the extension has been crap (though i still think that may change, we shall see) but, who cares about domainers anyway ?

but for end users, reading a full size web page on an iphone or even a 7" tablet is a frustrating experience

there is a reason that so many newspapers have formatted their apps to read as a single column

and since you can't easily generate a reliable single column reading experiecne from a full sized web page ... you are better off with a dedicated mobile domain or mobile app

so, in that sense mobi has value and is slowly (very slowly) being recognized as a viable mobile tld

•••
I still have 4 .mobi but will be one less when my auction ends Feb 14.

Two are developed and may also be put up for sale, maybe a flippa which I keep hearing good things about, not sure how they feel about .mobi

Will keep the other one for now, have a few ideas for it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back