IT.COM

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

NameSilo
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If there was a "abc.toronto.on.ca" registered at the CIRA level, it was either a mistake or someone screwing around with the system before the CIRA stepped in.

When I get some time I'll find examples I'm willing to share. I haven't really looked too hard, I just researched the 2 names I had revoked by CIRA to see which domains were blocking me - but it was definitely an actual registration not just a sub-domain set up in DNS by the 3rd level owner. If I do more research I'll see how wide-spread it is or if its just a few anomalies. I suspect its more widespread than that though, I can't believe I found the only 2 examples without really trying.

•••
If there was a "abc.toronto.on.ca" registered at the CIRA level, it was either a mistake or someone screwing around with the system before the CIRA stepped in.

OK, plunking around on the laptop while watching some tv tonight I've found numerous examples:

freenet.victoria.bc.ca
police.york.on.ca
sjhc.london.on.ca
info.london.on.ca
vpl.vancouver.bc.ca
vall.vancouver.bc.ca
danishchurch.vancouver.bc.ca
cathedral.vancouver.bc.ca
tpl.toronto.bc.ca
transit.toronto.bc.ca
torhosp.toronto.bc.ca
rgp.toronto.bc.ca
ccas.toronto.bc.ca

So I think clearly there were no restrictions in the early days, if anything there may have been guidelines to actually suggest the {name}.{city}.{province}.ca hierarchy specifically to avoid locking up {name}.ca nationwide for a local entity. So you'll find random words restricted due to these conflicts.

And if you check many of these at the 2nd level (freenet.ca, vall.ca, danishchurch.ca, rgp.ca, torhosp.ca, etc..) they're reserved due to these particular conflicts. Some of them actually have the 2nd level registered (police.ca, info.ca, transit.ca, vpl.ca, tpl.ca, etc...). Not sure if that's because the 4th level owner was able to register it because there were no other conflicts or what.

•••
So I think clearly there were no restrictions in the early days,

Good work and although I knew it was the Wild West back then, I still didn't think it went that far and allowed users to register crazy names like that.

No wonder they formed the CIRA to step in and handle things.

•••
Well I'll just say you're wrong on both points. Domainers did fight it out, and there's no need to fear UDRP if you're not infringing.

Well if you bought it today, then any Redline-based company has you on the TM part (even common law counts) and also automatically in the bad faith part, so with it not being a common single-word like PEAR.CA, you'd damn well better develop it into a business site and *never* contact any of the companies looking to sell. The minute you contact any of them you are dead.

Remember, when a domain name sells, all the registration date TM protection it had disappears and you start from 2019, so you're easy pickings for a UDRP, as at that point on Feb 15, 2019, you *are* automatically infringing on all the "Redliine's" existing TMs. Also keep in mind that the UDRP is not designed to protect domain investors, but to give back domains to rightful TM holders.

This strategy is happening with more and more regularity, and many companies watch the drop lists and WHOIS just waiting to swoop. I was reading one the other day where a company saw a WHOIS change and immediately launched a UDRP (thinking it was resold), only to lose when it was just the Registrar changing names - they do watch this stuff, trust me.

The UDRP costs around $5K, so buying it for $2K doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room, plus a lot of companies will have their legal department saying "don't give money to a domainer.. we'll get it for you and you won't have to give them a penny" (without mentioning the end bill for UDRP + services).

Last edited:
•••
Is there.a official price for "BuyCannabis" .. love to see a.ca in the cannabis thread.

•••
Is there.a official price for "BuyCannabis" .. love to see a.ca in the cannabis thread.
It was just under $15xx I believe.

$1480 if memory serves correct, but there were so many names I am not entirely sure, and there is no way to verify.

Last edited:
•••
ugh - I was interested in centaur but got distracted and missed bidding before it closed. Did you catch the closing price?

Nope, I'm kinda staying away from MyID just on principle.

Anyone else know what it went for? That's good one to grab, as it's a common single-word/name and has historical use dating back a few thousand years.

•••
Nope, I'm kinda staying away from MyID just on principle.

Anyone else know what it went for? That's good one to grab, as it's a common single-word/name and has historical use dating back a few thousand years.
It went for a price that will make you wish you didn’t stay away.

Last edited:
•••
Ignore..double posting

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
Thanks Mr Ominous.
Lol, I understand your boycott, but it won’t change much. Change is slow, with that I will bid farwell, better opportunity in .com, but this was a good week to buy in as the non backordered names got prematurely released, or maybe system changed, but not many clued in, and since there was so much auction inventory, and closing delays many were thrown off, good buys to be had.

Last edited:
•••
Lol, I understand your boycott, but it won’t change much.

It's not a moral boycott, it's because it's near-impossible to move MyID domains to another Registrar that I would rather not have domains there in the first place - and I think we all now why they do that.

•••
It's not a moral boycott, it's because it's near-impossible to move MyID domains to another Registrar that I would rather not have domains there in the first place - and I think we all now why they do that.
I got all my auth codes on request. If you can’t you can always contact CIRA and they will remind them to provide them.

•••
I got all my auth codes on request. If you can’t you can always contact CIRA and they will remind them to provide them.

Due to this, MyID may have gotten better lately, but in the past I had a lot of trouble moving a purchased domain, and over and over it was the same "just set up a MyID account and push it" sheit over and over, and in conversations with other NP members, I'm hardly alone.

One thread online described a situation where MyID forced the domain owner jump through hoops for week, from requiring a driver's license, rejecting it, requiring a passport, rejecting it, etc.

•••
Someone is pretty anxious to sell BuyCannabis dot ca. It’s already listed on Flippa. The flooring has just barely been installed and he’s walking on it already! :ROFL:

•••
They would still have to deal with the 60 day rule even if someone bought it tomorrow I believe.

•••
Due to this, MyID may have gotten better lately, but in the past I had a lot of trouble moving a purchased domain, and over and over it was the same "just set up a MyID account and push it" sheit over and over, and in conversations with other NP members, I'm hardly alone.

One thread online described a situation where MyID forced the domain owner jump through hoops for week, from requiring a driver's license, rejecting it, requiring a passport, rejecting it, etc.

MyID is often definitely slow to respond to auth code requests. I get the feeling they just don't have 24/7 support, they may not respond after hours or on weekends or something, I haven't figured out a rhyme or reason to their hours, not that I've tried. But I've never been given the run around or told to push it. That may have been a strategy a long time ago to get new customers, but I've never been told that in many years of having an account. But the myriad issues are also why I don't hold domains with myid.

I also had the same issues with Sibername a decade or more ago. I requested auth codes repeatedly and when I demanded some action, they eventually told me the hold-up was because they were sentimental about one of the domains because it was one of the very first domains they ever caught or registered for a client or something like that. It led me to have a lot of mistrust for them. However, I have to say that Sibername has been pretty good, continually bettered their website and automated stuff, billing, etc.., whereas a lot of registrars are using a 15 year old web interface, so I definitely give them props for not just putting it into cruise control like every other registrar has. I've also felt their auctions are more fair. In short, sibername has at least regained my trust over the years.

The license/passport thing may have been a CIRA request for a RIV - they used to have the registrar collect the information. I've had that happen, but my registrar was great in dealing with it. I see now that CIRA has a RIV upload form so they may now do the validations directly with the registrant themselves rather than using the registrar as the middleman. So in all fairness, that issue was _probably_ a CIRA RIV issue.

•••
They would still have to deal with the 60 day rule even if someone bought it tomorrow I believe.

No way around that one - unless the buyer is willing to take a push.

•••
No way around that one - unless the buyer is willing to take a push.

Which is pure sucker-bait for scammers with stolen domains.

Never buy a valuable domain with a push, only an authorization code. It doesn't protect you 100% but at least you know the current owner has held for more than 60 seconds.

•••
Remember, when a domain name sells, all the registration date TM protection it had disappears and you start from 2019, so you're easy pickings for a UDRP, as at that point on Feb 15, 2019, you *are* automatically infringing on all the "Redliine's" existing TMs. Also keep in mind that the UDRP is not designed to protect domain investors, but to give back domains to rightful TM holders.

Ok, it took a while to respond to this, just wanted to do it without being too snarky, but you've essentially said you think I'm stupid. I'll just say I think you're misinformed.

I'll start here. Maybe you've never heard of the term redline. Check any dictionary. It has multiple definitions. Its a popular term. Many potential uses.

Next up - lets analyze your logic. Extending your logic - you're saying there should only ever be one trademark for any given word or phrase because every other one would be instantly infringing in the first. Clearly that's not the case here or anywhere. Read up on Trademarks, what they are and aren't, and what they do and don't, and what actually constitutes infringement.

On to dates - having a registration date that pre-dates a complainant's mark typically helps shut down a frivolous complaint early in the process. But that's about it. So while that is a nice bonus when that scenario exists, it absolutely does not mean the complainant would automatically win if their date was earlier. I never rely on a pre-existing date as there's almost always going to be someone with an earlier date for any half decent domain. So dates can help you, but a date doesn't really hurt you. If you're going to get hurt, it will be due to other things, not the date.

The real crux of the matter is bad faith. In order to succeed, any CDRP must prove bad faith (section 3.5). So unless you are making the critical mistake of _actual_ infringement (i.e. parking with links to competing goods/services), or you have solicited the mark holder in an attempt to sell the domain, then there is no bad faith. This is what matters.

Reference: https://cira.ca/cira-domain-name-dispute-resolution-policy

All that being said, there are _some_ marks that are fanciful and famous, these are considered inherently distinctive, so much so that their name and product are considered synonymous. These are the strongest trademarks of all. Things like Clorox or Kleenex or Coca-Cola. If that is the case for your domain, then you will lose on bad faith 3.5(a) and or 3.5(b). Obviously we all need to steer clear of those.

Then you have famous and arbitrary trademarks. Think Amazon or Nike or Apple. They are often dictionary words that are being used contrary to their actual definition, i.e. their name alone wouldn't normally suggest their product or service). These are still strong marks because they have become famous and their arbitrary nature, but the problem for the trademark holder is that there are plenty of other fair uses (including their descriptive use or other arbitrary ones) that don't infringe on their particular goods or services. I'm sure that Apple and Amazon had to go around and buy up domains in other TLDs - they weren't just handed over in disputes unless the owner was infringing or solicited a sale.

As you go down from there, trademarks become less and less strong and would almost always require a mistake by the domain investor to win a dispute. Lawyers will stretch the truths, claim to be famous and distinctive, etc... but the reality is, if they really aren't famous and distinctive, then its pretty easy to prove they aren't. You just need to show that the term is common and that there is plenty of potential for fair use and that there are plenty of other existing users (trademarked or not) of that term/phrase as well. Seeing a dictionary word with just one trademark might be a concern. Seeing a word with 20 trademarks isn't. It just pretty much proves that there are many potential uses and that any one complainant's mark is not unique and it has not achieved a so-called world famous status.

Side note: I once gave up a generic one-word dictionary domain because it was parked and there were infringing ads. It was completely my mistake (didn't realize it was parked, the pitfalls of managing thousands of domains). Right after cussing myself out, I just apologized and sent them the auth code. It's the kind of mistake you make just once. That particular mark was indeed famous and arbitrary. But that doesn't mean the name wouldn't have had other potential fair uses including its clearly descriptive dictionary use. However, I didn't fight it because of the parking issue. Unfortunately, you usually get the death sentence for a first offense in the world of CDRP/UDRP/etc...

Now of course there are the very rare bad UDRP decisions. These are panelists/lawyers who are purposefully testing the limits of their power by making a horrible decision in an attempt to set a precedent that they can then use in future cases. But that's another discussion, and those haven't really been an issue in CDRPs that I've seen so far.

So anyway, my point is, you'll be fine if you:

a) Invest in good domains that have plenty of reasonable potential for fair use

b) Definitely avoid the fanciful famous trademarks as they have no real potential use by anyone other than the sole trademark holder

c) Don't infringe on anyone's trademark (with respect to a mark's very specific goods or services)

d) Don't solicit a trademark holder - unless maybe if you're trying to liquidate it for your costs (see 3.5(a))

e) Don't be so paranoid. There's less risk in owning this domain than there is driving to get groceries.

•••
Ok, it took a while to respond to this, just wanted to do it without being too snarky, but you've essentially said you think I'm stupid. I'll just say I think you're misinformed.

Without being too snarky, I will guess that you do not read recent UDRP decisions on a regular basis. You write a lot of "how things should happen" but company lawyers (and rogue panelists) continually pervert the original intention of the UDRP, and then use those precedents to create even more changes.

I read every single one of them religiously, and there are new precedents and decisions that would make your hair fall out - and company lawyers then use these zany decisions to create more precedents.

The wrong ad on your parked site, one email sent to just one company, owning a lot of undeveloped domains, an online post about your domain investment habits, a BIN on an auction site, a history of being a domainer, selling for a higher amount than out-of-pocket expenses - these have all been used by the IPO as valid reasons to give a domain away that should never have happened.

And yes, owning domains is not a risky business in terms of sheer numbers, and do you know why?

Because 99.9% of available domains are priced below the $5K-$10K it costs for a UDRP, so the money doesn't make sense (but there are lower-cost options on the way) - but the more you spend on a domain investment, the more you need to get back out in profit. And big dollar sales offers attract corporate lawyers like flies.

An IP lawyer once told me about the .CA market that "if the resale value ever goes up to what it was in the past, watch out. We're really only after the high-dollar domains."

That makes it dangerous when you're not talking about a common single-word or a 3/4-letter acronym, and no, as UDRP decisions have clearly shown, I am not being paranoid.

P.S. Your "distinctive TM' argument is way off, as companies I've never heard of (that exist only in Zaire or Peru) have won UDRPs strictly based on TM and that TM is used all over the place, like an LLL or single-word.

That decision gets posted on Twitter and the questions of "why them and not XZY Holdings or XYZ Realty or XYZ Bank?" - the answer is always: "Well, they created the UDRP". There is no requirement for TM distinctiveness, and there could be a hundred XYZ companies - it's important only that they own a valid TM, that it existed before the domain registration, and that it is well known (even in a particular country or region).

This exact case happened with a 3-letter .COM whereby a Mexican bus company (that I had never heard of and doesn't exist outside of Mexico) won their UDRP against a seemingly-unwinnable aged LLL acronym. And there are 100+ companies that share that same acronym, many of them large US firms and multinationals.

Last edited:
•••
Side note: I once gave up a generic one-word dictionary domain because it was parked and there were infringing ads.

Just an FYI that you really shouldn't do that, as then they have your personal information, and the proper way (as advocated by the CIRA) to respond to legal harassment is to request your registrar immediately drop the offending domain, whereby it gets added to the TBR. Then they need a court order to get your data and potentially harass you in other ways.

That happened to me with some stupid 1-word domain I bought for $1 - I kept getting harassing email from an IP law firm over and over and over, so I called a lawyer friend of mine and he said (and I'm paraphrasing) "If it's not worth fighting just drop the domain, because you won't want to give them free access to your personal WHOIS info".

So I did just that, blocked the IP firm (never communicate with these idiots), then dropped the domain to the expired list, and the name was picked up and developed by another company - I'm quite happy the blood-sucking IP firm's drone probably got a smack in the head for laying out the whip instead of the carrot, as it was a serious domain upgrade for a mid-range firm.

Penny smart, pound stupid.

Obviously never heard from them again, as they were just harassing me through my privacy-protected email that is no longer attached to the domain.

But that's another discussion, and those haven't really been an issue in CDRPs that I've seen so far.

Again, that is not because we're nicer up here or something, but that the .CA market prices are lower than they used to be, and there is no ROI in chasing around domains in the low 4-figures, especially in this economy.

As my IP lawyer contact once told me, "We're really only after the high-dollar domains."

Last edited:
•••
why in the world would CIRA restrict a name like "ripon",how could they justify it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back