IT.COM

new gTLD Donuts Sells home.loans Domain Name for $500,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Donuts Inc., today announced home.loans was acquired for $500,000, believed to be the largest sale to date for a premium new domain name. The sale was brokered by Donuts senior domain consultant Jebidiah Burnett.

Home.loans (www.home.loans) was acquired by Home.Loans LLC founder and chief executive officer Blake Janover, a serial entrepreneur, digital media visionary and capital markets innovator. Janover is launching the home.loans website; its primary focus is to be the Internet's most complete, well organized, and responsive source for "all things home loans."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...meloans-domain-name-for-500000-300586364.html

https://domainnamewire.com/tag/blake-janover/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Bet you it's on a payment plan, been a while since we heard the Donuts name, they sure needed this, but it's no way a lump sum payment.

It's still very tough as HomeLoans.com is going to get some of that bleed off marketing.

•••
Congratulations to the seller and buyer!

•••
Yeh I think they call him a 'digital media visionary' to help close the sale. Nothing quite like pumping someone's ego.

•••
Amazing sale and great news for all gTLD investors :) I hope we will hear more news like this in 2018!

This is imo an amazing super name, with TONS of potential to make a huge business at it - congratulation to seller, and to buyer as well! :)

•••
Great news for all gTLD investors seriously ? Nah, confirmation once again that it is the registries that are making the big sales in nTLDs, while domainers keep chasing that elusive dream. Of course sales like these are needed to boost morale from time to time so that the hopeful will keep hoping :)
So congratulations to the seller.

•••
Great news for all gTLD investors seriously ? Nah, confirmation once again that it is the registries that are making the big sales in nTLDs, while domainers keep chasing that elusive dream. Of course sales like these are needed to boost morale from time to time so that the hopeful will keep hoping :)
Agreed, let's go register a whole bunch of .loans domains, and spam this end user to buy our crap, that is what donuts is hoping for, I haven't heard their name in the news for a while, they have been quiet for a while.

I know the broker who sold it, I made an inquiry once on a .games or .game I don't recall, but it was some insane price. He would not stop calling, nor emailing, always on Fridays also.

I should correct my statement above this deal looks to be an all cash deal, the buyer runs a network of these domains including hud.loans, multifamily.loans etc... He must have been in talks for a while, I kind of think he overpaid given the weakness in the gtld space currently.

•••
At least he's going to use this name in a meaningful way and the move is consistent with the branding strategy he's been pursuing. While he may have overpaid, it's all relative. It all depends on how long it takes to recoup the 500K investment.
What would have been sad is an 'investor' paying that amount and ending up holding the bag.

•••
At least he's going to use this name in a meaningful way and the move is consistent with the branding strategy he's been pursuing. While he may have overpaid, it's all relative. It all depends on how long it takes to recoup the 500K investment.
What would have been sad is an 'investor' paying that amount and ending up holding the bag.
The Donuts platinum names are priced so you have to start using them right away, another lawyer out of NJ has purchased quite a few legal ones. I am sure in the hot Miami market they HQ out of, they are doing quite well in the real estate space right now.

•••

Absolutely agree with you (for the first time ever). The buyer better have big pockets to chase the .com version. Otherwise he is doomed.

•••
Absolutely agree with you (for the first time ever). The buyer better have big pockets to chase the .com version. Otherwise he is doomed.
.com is owned by Wells Fargo, it is one of their primary businesses, they would never sell it.

•••
Well. That's really bad news for the buyer.

•••
Amazing sale, but as others have mentioned that .com is essential.. quite a few consumers seeing www.home.loans on a business card are going to type www.home.loans.com or homeloans.com. The extra (.) is probably more of a traffic leaker than the hyphen (-) in hyphenated domains. Regardless, its good to see some big sales going up in the domain space!

•••
confirmation once again that it is the registries that are making the big sales in nTLDs

I wonder what the annual renewal is for a domain like this...

•••
•••
•••
Home.Loans - EstiBot Value: $ 1,400 USD :nailbiting:

•••
•••
I wonder what the annual renewal is for a domain like this...
Donuts platinum domains usually have regular renewals, because they are recouping so much upfront. I think I asked on a price for Marijuana.Market early in 2017, and they quoted me $50,000 plus $30 renewal, which they said was a really good deal (y)

•••
New gTLD revenue cut by HALF in ICANN budget

ICANN budget documents published over the weekend show that by one measure new gTLDs are doing just 51% of the business ICANN thought they would.

At the registrar level, where registrars pay a transaction fee regardless of the size of the customer’s chosen gTLD, ICANN expects new gTLD revenue to be $3.9 million in FY18.

That’s just 52% of its March/August 2017 estimate of $7.5 million.

http://domainincite.com/22566-new-gtld-revenue-cut-by-half-in-icann-budget

•••
They released it way to soon, the market just wasn't ready to absorb so many domains, really maybe should have waiting till 2020 or something. Regardless everyone just saw money, and ICANN made a lot of money, and so did many operators, and applicants, but the lemmings have pretty much fallen off the cliff, and nobody is really staking to much interest in building out, and investing. Sure we are going to have 1 off here, and there, but we are talking like 1000 extensions here, all of which couldn't beat a single .com.

Last edited:
•••
Huge sale, 1/2 a million! Wow congrats to buyer and seller...

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back