Dynadot

information Donuts Inc. Sells Live.chat Domain Name for $125,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
interesting

good year for new extensions ?

:xf.wink:

•••
Thanks for the information, it is always nice to hear that :)

Btw, how did you get this information? It seems not yet reported in venues like namebio, etc.

Thanks again!

•••
Nice one. Thanks for sharing

•••
These are the kind of nGTLDs to hold in your portfolio. Crying shame they're the kind of ones the registries themselves are stockpiling. Not to discourage investors, finding this kind of quality at a reasonable renewal fee that isn't held back takes a lot of skill and determination and creativity. Those who put in the work will reap the rewards in this area of domains.

•••
These are the kind of nGTLDs to hold in your portfolio. Crying shame they're the kind of ones the registries themselves are stockpiling. Not to discourage investors, finding this kind of quality at a reasonable renewal fee that isn't held back takes a lot of skill and determination and creativity. Those who put in the work will reap the rewards in this area of domains.
Personally I have little different opinion about registries - I am pretty satisfied (to be honest, even grateful) as for domain names which were released for domain investors by registries, and I also think it is pefectly ok for registries to have some great names to stay with them.

After all, there are many extensions which costed million of dollars in auctions as per each extension, and it also costs lot of money each year to operate in, and make it functional in internet space. Those costs are real, and they have to be offset by sales, be it standard registrations, or premium afternarket sales.

I hear this complaint about registries reserving some good names from some people here, but I think it is more about when someone started to invest - if you were early new gTLD fan, opportunities to get great names for very fair prices were almost limitless. I remember that particularly 2016 was amazing year to build someones porftolio, as many very early individual investors were dropping some fantastic names acquired in 2014 and 2015 (as they did not sell them within 1 or 2 years, which is something I do not understand till today).

Anyway, as market matures and we are now in 2020, it is not that easy anymore, but this is life :)

•••
Thanks for the information, it is always nice to hear that :)

Btw, how did you get this information? It seems not yet reported in venues like namebio, etc.

Thanks again!
Oh, just read the whole article, for those who have not read it yet it was tweeted by Elliot Silver. I retract my question :)

•••
Did I miss the renewal cost somewhere in the article or in this thread, or is it just not mentioned?!?!

•••
Did I miss the renewal cost somewhere in the article or in this thread, or is it just not mentioned?!?!
I am not sure of the Live.chat renewal rate at this time, so I was not able to share it in the article. Some premium .chat's are reasonable though. I have Business.chat with a yearly renewal of $71.99 per year with a GoDaddy Domain Club membership.

•••
Usually when registries are selling their premium names on aftermarket, the part of the deal is that previously higher, premium renewal fee of the given name is reduced just to standard renewal fee for a given extension, in exchange for that 1 higher initial payment for a domain name. It is very often part of the deal, but not always,

I do not know any specific details about this particular deal, of course.

But there are some ways how to find out actual renewal fee for any new gTLD domain name, although they are not always 100% accurate. One quick way is to use transfer option at some registrars, for example Namesilo (of course, you do not finalise the transfer, as you just want to check the pricing!), and this shows that at the moment of writing the renewal fee for this domain name is just $21,99, so it is standard renewal fee for .chat.

So, if we trust that Namesilo is correctly updated with actual pricing, that should be it.

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Nice name, gTLD seems grow more and increasing another opportunity. I also sold one of gTLD for $ 2500 last month to local end user. Buy $ 5,99, hold for 3 month . Do some outbond effort and email marketing to prospective buyers.

•••
Usually when registries are selling their premium names on aftermarket, the part of the deal is that previously higher, premium renewal fee of the given name is reduced just to standard renewal fee for a given extension, in exchange for that 1 higher initial payment for a domain name. It is very often part of the deal, but not always,

Actually that would be smart business. Thanks for this info, its interesting.

Not very useful for investors, as I doubt they would be getting that deal from any registry, imo..

•••
Not very useful for investors, as I doubt they would be getting that deal from any registry, imo..

Investors may start buying xxxx.yyyy if available where there is establish company with xxxxyyyy.com and no TM. Or even develop the domain to some degree.

•••
this name would be great in 90s

•••
Investors may start buying xxxx.yyyy if available where there is establish company with xxxxyyyy.com and no TM. Or even develop the domain to some degree.

I don't think so, buying a name at such prices & then developing it does not qualify as domain investing.

Unless the renewal is close to what others in this thread are paying ($70-100), it is still not investment material.

imo

•••

I dont think investors will get any special deal from central registry, but may be if buyer/investor wants to develop the website. When I purchased chess.stream to rebrand chessstream.com, I contacted central registry and they really answering my emails. They hope that I will have website for chess.stream. I think putting at premium price for them is trying to sell for end users only.

•••
Unless the renewal is close to what others in this thread are paying ($70-100), it is still not investment material.

imo

If I still remember my first dot com domain renewal was $100/year before they lowered down to $35 then around $10.

•••
•••
I see that Donuts retweeted @Jason Franklin tweet about the Live.chat sale, so that to me is pretty clear confirmation that the sale happened and price is accurate.

Thanks for being the one to first break the story @EJS and @Jason Franklin to tell us about it.

As far as I can see it is not in NameBio, but if it were it would tie (with 6.xyz) for 22nd place in the new gTLD sales. It would become the highest .chat sale by more than a factor of 6 - previous high was the domain twin chat.chat that sold for $20,000 at Sedo in 2018.

Bob

•••
Awesome boost that dot chat.
customers chat
domainer chat
webmaster chat

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back