IT.COM

sales Shop.app sells for $200,000 at Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bob Hawkes

Top Member
NameTalent.com
Impact
I just browsed the NameBio new sales newly posted, and was surprised to see that shop.app had sold for $200,000! https://namebio.com/shop.app

Before posting this, I went and checked Sedo's @Dave Evanson Twitter feed, and indeed he had announced the sale an hour or so earlier. The broker at Sedo was Yiming Yang.

As far as I know, it has not yet been released who the buyer is. If anyone knows more details, please add them in the comments.

The previous high sale of an .app domain name, at least NameBio listed, was the $91,000 sale of ZB.app followed by the $30,000 sale of support.app.

Here is a link to all the .app sales listed on NameBio.

This becomes the highest-value new extension sale in 2020, the previous high being $125,000 for live.chat.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Thanks for reporting the sale, Bob! And thanks to Sedo for reporting this big one!
Good news for people having .app!

Last edited:
•••
Strange how it happens right as renewals are coming....:xf.wink::xf.rolleyes:hahaha.........but, this is good news for people who are holding on to some good .app's.

•••
not familiar with .app
does this mean he paid extra to reg this prem keyword?
how about premium renewal too? what price range to expect for such regs or renewal on prem .app?

this is great sale. maybe the lucky seller is member of namepros

show yerself! :) so ye can be flooded with congratulations
heheh.

really now.. life changing amount... unless seller bought it for big money... this is why I can never understand people posting sales on say np sales thread and not indicating paid price or paid range.. so rest of us may know the true value of that sale. which boils down to one thing in the end... ROI

•••
•••
Exciting but I haven't got one i remember thinking i would come back to a few later missing them dot app. What about shop as keyword in other extensions helped up the price.

Last edited:
•••
does this mean he paid extra to reg this prem keyword?
how about premium renewal too? what price range to expect for such regs or renewal on prem .app?

The renewal price for shop.app is approx £1,683.01 GBP per year which is approx $2,053.10 USD.

Last edited:
•••
I had noticed that there were alot of generics available in .app relatively.. (but was a dot com is king guy attitude) I fathom even with thousands of extensions that had arrived & had felt discouraged earlier - it could only get better.. expedite + while widely still availables

- risk/benefit
- renewal costs
- I once had 700 dot mobis 2007 ha

•••
This becomes the 8th highest new gTLD sale of all time, at least of those listed on NameBio.

Last year only one NameBio-listed 6-figure new extension sale, already two in early 2020. Although overall the year in early stage is looking somewhere not as good as 2018 but better than 2019 in new extensions, although still early part of year.

If we look at the 2020 so far sales in all extensions, this becomes the 6th highest-value sale on NameBio.

If we look at the top 20 NameBio-listed sales so far in 2020, here is breakdown by TLD.
  • 14 com
  • 3 country code
  • 2 new extensions
  • 1 org
Bob

•••
Thanks for sharing. I actually like .app. I own about 2 or 3 of them.

•••
HUGE SALE!!

I don't have any .app domains (yet)

But I do have shop.network as part of a .network streaming/media package.

•••
Yes no doubt shop is a huge keyword (it sold for $3.5 million in .com).

Even in new gTLDs, some big sales in the word including $33,500 in .nyc and $25,000 in .link in late 2017.

I think these sales show that the right word with a matching TLD can lead to a big payday for either a domainer or a registry.

I agree with @Grego85 that this is big for .app in particular and new extensions in general.

Bob

•••
.app holders will be happy now :]

•••
I would venture to say at least 50% of all the "big" ngtld sales are complete bull$hit.

Its basically money flowing back and forth between friends in the same niche hoping to incite newbies to buy more ngtld's.

Nothing new here....

•••
Thanks Bob, sometime we make a priority to choose .com as main option than other , then forget awesome name in nGtlds, then lose many domain .com on our portfolio. Whether .COM or not , if we believe that we could make a some profit ,Take It.

•••
In case you missed it in the other thread, the buyer has been disclosed by @illumy via Whois for this domain name.

It is the Canadian-headquartered international company Shopify, they have over 5000 employees and more than $1.9 billion in sales in the most recent annual financial report. Although over a decade old, they have been growing rapidly lately, partly through numerous acquisitions.

As far as I know the company has not issued an official statement on the acquisition or plans for the domain name yet. Andrew at DomainNameWire had earlier speculated in a blog post that Shopify might be the buyer. Turns out he was right!

Bob

•••
•••
I believe this nTLD has a strong potential due to the fact it is sponsored by Google.

Last edited:
•••
I would venture to say at least 50% of all the "big" ngtld sales are complete bull$hit.

Its basically money flowing back and forth between friends in the same niche hoping to incite newbies to buy more ngtld's.

Nothing new here....
fyi whois is changed to Shopify :) so its not bull$hit sale :)

Also remember there is only one way to success ( hardwork ) :)

Last edited:
•••
Nothing new here....
Yeh and nothing new about comments like these, either.

wwwweb mentioned in the other thread about the almost 2k renewal, which I think is important to point out. I think there's only a couple of us (myself not included) that have made it known here on NPs forking out this kind of cash for premium new GTLDs and holding for the right buyer. And in many cases it's paid off for them. So definitely having the right fits one can reap the benefits, but for the everyday investor I guess we're looking to hold more than a handful of we see as "good fits" with great sales potential, at reasonable renewal rates. At 2k allows me to hold 100 more domains in my portfolio across a well-balanced selection. And no regrets to let any go if I had to.

So is that a quandary? Or do most of us feel better knowing we have more of a selection to offer to buyers? I think if you can afford to fork over those kinds of renewals for those super-premium priced domains, you're a lucky individual indeed.

For any new investors, just know that these kinds of names are not in the same playing field we are used to. So no point going all nuts registering "shop this" and "shop that" in the .app extension or any new G extension. If prepared to put it almost all on the line on $500-2k renewal-type domains, that takes some kahunas for sure, and an laser-focused plan be it short or longer-term hold.

•••
fyi whois is changed to Shopify :) so its not bull$hit sale :)

Also remember there is only one way to success ( hardwork ) :)
I never said this sale was bull$hit. I said about 50% of them were.

•••
I never said this sale was bull$hit. I said about 50% of them were.
We can argue words I guess, but to me by making your post in a thread that was about one sale, shop.app, making your statement about 50% without any evidence at all and saying it applied to high value new gTLD sales, and then ending with "nothing new here" you were at least implying that your comment might apply to this new sale as well.

So let's evaluate what we do know in this case? It was confirmed by the top broker at Sedo. It was accepted as verified information by both DNJournal and NameBio, the two most respected sources of sales information in our industry. The buyer, Shopify, is known and is not only a 16 year old, multi-billion revenue company, but it is not in any way involved in the domain industry as far as I know, so why it would have any motivation to promote a fake sale?

I just wanted to explain why I gave your original post a disagree, the first time I have yet used disagree on NamePros (glad we now have a way to disagree with something said without using dislike). I actually think you owe Sedo and Shopify an apology, but that is just my opinion, and I suppose in the big scheme of things would not matter.

I feel strongly about things like this because unfounded negative assertions, in my opinion, damage our entire industry. Yes, even .com is harmed by unfounded negative statements about other TLDs, because, in my opinion and based on anecdotal evidence, to a large degree the world generalizes the domain industry, do not look at it in the detailed and nuanced way we do. I think being professional and careful in our assumptions and wording is critical.

Why don't we celebrate a major sale of a great domain name, rather than try to push it down? I think each 6-figure sale, in any extension, has trickle down benefits to many lower value domains, as it is a signal that domain names are important and valuable. I think, in particular, that 6-figure sales to big name end users, household name businesses, are doubly important.

Sorry for the soap-box rant, but this is a topic I feel strongly about.

Have a great day everyone, and stay safe, and as unstressed as possible in these tough times.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
The purchaser of this domain name, Shopify, has been surging on the financial markets of late. Its stock price is up about 80% over the past few weeks, and now at $107-billion market capitalization it is the second largest company on the Canadian stock exchange, and almost equal to Royal Bank of Canada.

BTW shop.app is now in use for clients to sign in (although does this through a redirection).

The .com, ShopApp.com, this morning does not seem to resolve for me? Are others experiencing the same? I had presumed that Shopify would either use the .com for redirection to the .app, or keep both for different purposes.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
•••
Back