IT.COM

Donating 25% To Charity

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm planning on opening a site where 25% of all donations will go to a breast cancer charity, and the other 75% will go to me (don't worry, this will be clearly stated on the donation page, it's part of the uniqueness of the site). I'm just wondering what kind of legal things I need to do since I'm making the claim of donating to charity.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I dont think I would ever donate $ to a Charity that only passes on 25% of my donation to the intended party, it should be you keep 15-25% for operating costs and pass the balance on to the needy.

I'm sure there are rules as far as running a charity and I dont think your idea is in accordance with those rules, I sure hope not anyways.

•••
dont make it a donate site but say i will donate 25% of profits to charity!

•••
So wait..you're gonna ask for donations and 75% will go to you? doesn't make much sense to me. Why wouldn't people just donate to the charity?

•••
Yeh i agree SrbShooter, unless you mean 25% of your profits will go to chairty as it makes no sence using you as a middle man for donations to a charity when you are keeping so much lol. Maybe missunderstood you, is the donations to you for a service you are going to be providing?

•••
One person did a similar thing and ended up getting into legal trouble.

http://www.DNF/showthread.php?t=110887

A lesson from that thread: check your local government office for more info.

•••
Tippy said:
I dont think I would ever donate $ to a Charity that only passes on 25% of my donation to the intended party, it should be you keep 15-25% for operating costs and pass the balance on to the needy.

I'm sure there are rules as far as running a charity and I dont think your idea is in accordance with those rules, I sure hope not anyways.

Well maybe a product is being sold which doesn't allow for such a large margin!

Maybe 75% does account for the total costs and expenses involved.

•••
I agree with all of the above posts. In these days of major tragedies occuring on a weekly basis, the authorities are definitely keeping their eyes out for any sort of "charity" or "donation" scheme that may be construed as being fraudulent.

In the case of registered charitable organisations, 8-12% is generally an acceptable percentage as far as operating costs go. In your case, having 75% "go to you" really detracts from the credibility of the operation.

Best to offer your product and service as a "for profit" system but mention that you will contribute 25% to a specific true charitable organisation (Red Cross, United Way, etc.) ... but don't claim to be a donation or charity site yourself.

All my $0.02 and IMHO, of course!

:) Rob

•••
It's an idea for a site I had, TitsForTuition.com, if youve ever seen Boobiethon.com, go check it out and you'll get an idea for what I'm doing, except it's like the MillionDollarHomepage where the money is going to the guy for college, the money raised will go towards my college, and just as a show of good faith, I will donate 25% of all money raised towards breast cancer research.

•••
I think people would just donate to charity itself to aviod the middle man.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back