NameSilo

poll Domains with the word 'dot'

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do domains with the word 'dot' pass the radio test? eg. DotThis.com, ThatDot.com

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, they always pass the radio test.

votes
    38.5%
  • Only if there's a word between the word 'dot' and the domain extension .com

votes
    15.4%
  • Only if the word 'dot' is part of the entire name eg. dotster.com

votes
    17.9%
  • They never pass the radio test.

votes
    28.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

BrandAptly.com

Established Member
Impact
I've stumble upon a domain name that I eagerly want to purchase. While it looks good in writing, I'm a bit conflicted as I am not sure how well it will perform on the radio test.

What are your thoughts about such domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
expireddot.com
backorderdot.com

Taking offers :)

•••
•••
•••
I think the dot can definitely work depending on the brand.

•••
•••
It doesnt and I would not use it for a business. Saying dot dot twice is not good, you would need to explain the first word is actually a word and not a point :-P
DotDot.com developed
DotDotDot.com redirected to existing biz
Dot.com probably waiting for a millionaire
DotDotDotDot.com selling at Afternic (not mine)

•••
I've stumble upon a domain name that I eagerly want to purchase. While it looks good in writing, I'm a bit conflicted as I am not sure how well it will perform on the radio test.

What are your thoughts about such domains?

S'up bruv,

Da kidz of 2day prob dont kno what radio is innit bruv. No likey likey listen radio...ya feel me innit.

It's a whole new world out there and I'd say hearing a domain name on the radio is maybe only 10% of the potential market places for domain names.

I'm not even convinced that we would ask a magic speaker for www. Exampledomain.com. Surely, most people still have opposable thumbs and can and do still type.

I'm old skool I guess but I go wid da flo innit bruv.

Reprazenttin all da domainers out there y'all.

Peace.Love.Out...mike drop

•••
DotDot.com developed
DotDotDot.com redirected to existing biz
Dot.com probably waiting for a millionaire
DotDotDotDot.com selling at Afternic (not mine)
And what is the point?n Does this make them pass the radio test?

•••
Probably not, and it doesn't seem to matter for the people who bought and/or used them...

•••
I'm gathering from the responses and the poll results that domains with words 'dots' and 'dot' are acceptable within the domaining world. In my observation, majority of such developed websites have to do with domaining. Consequently, the results may not be a reliable gauge to evaluate mainstream performance. AmIright?

•••
•••
Dot+Is+King.com
DotIsking.com

•••
i own only one...

dotcom
.io

and mind you it had a good few offers.. up to I think $200.. in last 1-2 years I own it...

cheers

•••
i own only one...

dotcom
.io

and mind you it had a good few offers.. up to I think $200.. in last 1-2 years I own it...

cheers

I'm guessing these offers are from domainers, yes?

•••
•••
I think we need to add another question to the poll:

Is the radio test still relevant today?

How would the following be perceived if only heard on the radio? -

Epik.com
Efty.com
Nameprose.com
Afterknick.com
Saido.com
Seedo.com
Namecylo.com

90% of domain names that I am aware of are in written form so makes the radio test obsolete IMHO.

•••
I think we need to add another question to the poll:

Is the radio test still relevant today?

How would the following be perceived if only heard on the radio? -

Epik.com
Efty.com
Nameprose.com
Afterknick.com
Saido.com
Seedo.com
Namecylo.com

90% of domain names that I am aware of are in written form so makes the radio test obsolete IMHO.

What is the issue with Nameprose? There is difference between B and P, atleast that is what the phonology and phonetics class taught me back in college :-P

•••
i own only one...

dotcom
.io

cheers
200 for a .io which might have costed you 34 or more is not good right? :) , nah, it is, you still get to make a profit

•••
200 for a .io which might have costed you 34 or more is not good right? :) , nah, it is, you still get to make a profit

its not thta its not good.. or its not profit.. cause it is.
its just that based on my pretty solid .io experience I belive this is worth a bit more ;)

•••
•••
•••
Had my eye on InspireDot /com at the drop today. I think they can work great as brandables.

•••
I had a quick look at NamBio sales including dot or dots (list here with a few irrelevant names captured) and it seems that both dot and dots are popular and both at start and as last word. I may analyze it more when I have time.

Yeah I suppose having a word between dot and extension, or if at end being dots, passes Radio Test better, but I don't see it as a problem. BlueDot.com and BlueDot.ca are both 5-figure sales, for example.

Bob
Incredible sales there.

I have brandeddot.com for sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back