IT.COM

Domains formed by letters that remain low

NameSilo
Watch

envos

Established Member
Impact
Is there a name that defines all those words composed only of low letters?
I mean words like "menu" or "aurora" or "sonoro".

I have always found it very annoying to see domain names containing high and low letters. For example "ableton" or "serendipity".

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I hope you get an answer because in looking at visual aesthetics I have wondered the same.

I think with the emphasis on RT we sometimes overlook how critical, moreso in my opinion in this visual age, on how a domain name will look when printed. Like I really don't as a general rule like repeated identical letters in two word domains. Like you say a name with all low looks nicer in print, as a general rule, than mixed height. Also certain symmetries of letters look nicer.

Bob

This post on fonts talks about many characteristics, but does not give a name to the effect you inquire about.

Last edited:
•••
For the same reason, the .com extension remains stylistically very balanced.
I don't like extensions like ".top"

sonoro.com
balanced and symmetrical

sonoro.top
stylistically less linear

•••
.ooo is an interesting TLD stylistically

quite a few of the country codes are stylistically small and in a way with just 2 are even more balanced in the way you seek, like .co for example.

•••
No list I'm aware of. I do share the feeling though. Sometimes the letter combination can definitely throw off the balance of a word and it is something to take into consideration. Especially if you need to build a brand identity.

Same goes for the TLDs like @Bob Hawkes and you pointed out above. Visually I also like .ca .se , .de even although it does contain a high letter. My country ccTLD (.nl) is one of the worst actually. If I wasn't that accustomed to it it would bother me for sure.

I also think the length before and after the dot is something to take into consideration when not .com. Domains like x.company are visually not appealing to me.

•••
Is there a name that defines all those words composed only of low letters?
Bob's link paragraph #4 discusses the characteristic x-height aka corpus size or the height of x, v, w and z. Curved short letters like a, c, e etc. overshoot the x-height baseline and mean line slightly but they're close enough for government work. Serious offenders b, d, g etc. with their gangly ascenders and descenders are clearly beyond the pale. It looks like we're stuck with 'low letter word' phrase descriptions until either a typography linguist weighs in or someone coins a new word.

Side note - my money is on .ooo to win the first tld beauty pageant.

•••
•••
I have found the perfect stylistically congruent domain name! :xf.smile:
ooooooooo.ooo
It is available to hand register! Plus it has precisely 3x as many o on left as right of dot. I left it for some reader of this thread.

Yes ooo.ooo would be even better but gone :xf.frown: I actually thought about taking the 9o one but it would have doubled my holdings in .ooo.:xf.grin: and I am trying to show acquisition restraint.

If I invested in adult names .xxx has possibilities.

Bob

•••
highs-lows,looks like a mixed bag to me. i doubt the buyers took it into account.
Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 5.34.22 PM.png

•••
highs-lows,looks like a mixed bag to me. i doubt the buyers took it into account.

In my opinion, it is something that happens in the subconscious. It is one of those things that you perceive but do not observe "rationally".

•••
ategy = over and under .. ouch ... lol .. although I still love it as a 5L as a derivative of strategy! :)

Side note - my money is on .ooo to win the first tld beauty pageant.
Seems I recall seeing somewhere the original Total Recall movie was the first instance of a (fictional) .web domain ... but now that I think about .. it also foreshadowed .ooo domains! lol ;)

•••
Thank heavens there is no term for it as it is the most meaningless reason to buy a name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back