Dynadot

discuss Domains as store of value in difficult times and beyond

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

alcy

Top Member
Impact
so we hear a lot about store of value these days... given the new virus, and how everything is basically dropping in value.. gold, bitcoin etc...

do you guys think domains are subject to same flactuations in value/price? or are they somehow more immune than say bitcoin... some fiats... precious metals.. real estate.. etc...

us domainers we know about domains... but we represent a very tiny % of all people on this planet, who may have even given a second thought to using domains as some sort of store of value.. even those very same people are thinking real hard now, during these harder times, what venues could be used as store of value.

thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The world and the way it lives has always been pointed to a future where people shop online. buy food online. socialize online. Some even go virtual online. theoretically a human does not need to have physical contact anymore. This has always been where it's been heading.

The way people will access goods and services and even social contact will be online.

Those goods will be sold on websites or apps.

Those jobs will be online
the food will be delivered by online services or app.

All of THOSE will need a website.

Sure there will be only a few "kings" online for these things. Fresh Direct, Uber, Walmart, Amazon, Alibaba, Aliexpress,

The rest can just be affiliates for these big guys. Why compete with these big guys right?

but of course you can always try your luck

That's where domains come in.

In that competitive market, every site will need every EDGE. Every secret tool.

Domains are high on that list.

Prior to this big box stores were already closing and laying off thousands of employees.

This Virus basically put the nail in the coffin as far as the death of these physical stores.

So just remain calm and keep track of daily domain sales. Currently I'm content that we still see sales of domains of above $500 each. Hopefully you are a hand regger and not one who bought aftermarket and now need to sell above your purchase price.

The handregger right now I think are better off than aftermarket buyers now.

because aftermarket buyers will need to hold till this crisis passes. but if for whatever reason (and everyone's situation is unique to them) they need to sell during this crisis? I suspect most will have to take a loss but if they are lucky they will break even.

Last edited:
•••
I believe this is a good time to amass good domain names, if you have the capital and staying power. As history will illustrate, major social disruptions often result in drastic price drops in certain industries counter-balanced by over-valuation in other industries..

•••
An interesting question and I agree with both comments above. E

•••
The world and the way it lives has always been pointed to a future where people shop online. buy food online. socialize online. Some even go virtual online. theoretically a human does not need to have physical contact anymore. This has always been where it's been heading.

The way people will access goods and services and even social contact will be online.

Those goods will be sold on websites or apps.

Those jobs will be online
the food will be delivered by online services or app.

All of THOSE will need a website.

Sure there will be only a few "kings" online for these things. Fresh Direct, Uber, Walmart, Amazon, Alibaba, Aliexpress,

The rest can just be affiliates for these big guys. Why compete with these big guys right?

but of course you can always try your luck

That's where domains come in.

In that competitive market, every site will need every EDGE. Every secret tool.

Domains are high on that list.

Prior to this big box stores were already closing and laying off thousands of employees.

This Virus basically put the nail in the coffin as far as the death of these physical stores.

So just remain calm and keep track of daily domain sales. Currently I'm content that we still see sales of domains of above $500 each. Hopefully you are a hand regger and not one who bought aftermarket and now need to sell above your purchase price.

The handregger right now I think are better off than aftermarket buyers now.

because aftermarket buyers will need to hold till this crisis passes. but if for whatever reason (and everyone's situation is unique to them) they need to sell during this crisis? I suspect most will have to take a loss but if they are lucky they will break even.

thats a good point. now with the virus.. and maybe even after things calm down... internet and online shopping and online existence will become even more pronounced than before.. and if that happens then obviously its a plus for domains.

•••
Even though most countries governments are promising support to business there will definitely be some that fold under financial pressure. The online business has les overheads so will have a better chance of surviving. This will lead to people evaluating whether physical businesses are still viable or not. This will see people realising the importance of the domain name, so I expect an improvement but it may take a while to filter through once the pandemic subsides.

Regards,
Somertonian

•••
I believe this is a good time to amass good domain names, if you have the capital and staying power. As history will illustrate, major social disruptions often result in drastic price drops in certain industries counter-balanced by over-valuation in other industries..

hmmm.... well.. maybe its a bit early stil... but honestly I am not seeing any smaller sale prices for names on gd expired, namejet or just namebio in general..

maybe the domains as store of value theory does have a yes as an answer then!

what if domains are better than bitcoin, gold, fiat, real estate and everything else... as store of value through hard times. hmm.

•••
A domain portfolio is a store of value only if monthly sales net of commissions consistently exceed renewal costs. Otherwise, one has to fund renewal costs from other sources.

•••
A domain portfolio is a store of value only if monthly sales net of commissions consistently exceed renewal costs. Otherwise, one has to fund renewal costs from other sources.

yes but I meant if you buy a liquid domain.. say 3l.com .. at good market price.. before a crisis like this one... and as you see everything go down during the crisis.. which it is... bitcoin, gold etc... my question here was.. should we also expect such a 3l.com investment to go down in value too?

Last edited:
•••
It's a good time to buy at the meantime many people really need cash in this scenario.

•••

agreed.

•••
It's a good time to buy at the meantime many people really need cash in this scenario.

yes. True. Many domainers are thinking this now.

So if you are a domainer that has domains that have been burning a hole in your pocket as far as renewals. I know there will now be many bargain hunters in the domain sphere.

now is not might. IS the time to sell if you have to sell.

and domainers looking for a deal? check out all the auction sites for domainers who want or need to sell domains for extra neeeded cash.

many domainers are going to be out of work for at least a month or indefinitely. If you were smart and saving money to buy some awesome domains at an awesome price now is the time. Of course it goes without saying do your homework and choose wisely.

•••
yes. True. Many domainers are thinking this now.

So if you are a domainer that has domains that have been burning a hole in your pocket as far as renewals. I know there will now be many bargain hunters in the domain sphere.

now is not might. IS the time to sell if you have to sell.

and domainers looking for a deal? check out all the auction sites for domainers who want or need to sell domains for extra neeeded cash.

many domainers are going to be out of work for at least a month or indefinitely. If you were smart and saving money to buy some awesome domains at an awesome price now is the time. Of course it goes without saying do your homework and choose wisely.

ok so if I understand.. your view is basically that domains would not be a good store of value because indeed in these trying times, domains also go down in price like everything else.. since you are talking about being able to find awesome domain deals now...

hmmm.. im not sure this is so.

•••
yes but I meant if you buy a liquid domain.. say 3l.com .. at good market price.. before a crisis like this one... and as you see everything go down during the crisis.. which it is... bitcoin, gold etc... my question here was.. should we also expect such a 3l.com investment to go down in value too?

your really question is "has the human race survived other crisises? either viral or economic?"

The answer has always been YES.

The human race is resilient. This Virus will kill many sadly. Stock markets will crash.

Just remember what happened during and after the 1918 spanish flu. Did it the human race recover and give us Kim Kardashian and her huge bum?

Did it give us $300 Yeezy sneakers? lol

Did it give us Baby Yoday?

Don't worry too much but but but protect yourself and your family so you can enjoy what happens after this.

•••
ok so if I understand.. your view is basically that domains would not be a good store of value because indeed in these trying times, domains also go down in price like everything else.. since you are talking about being able to find awesome domain deals now...

hmmm.. im not sure this is so.

no I'm saying domains ARE a good store of value BECAUSE THE FUTURE is that all these physical stores will probably close up shop.

and others will take up the mantle of supplying food and shopping and whatever.
I mean it's been understood since the first domain was created.

if you can reg a domain for $6 and then sell it for $10,000 tomorrow,

Try that with Gold or Silver? buy a bar of gold for $120K. maybe just maybe tomorrow you can sell it for $125K.

Although Gold is very liquid can be sold quickly. the ROI is not "great".

but domains are liquid too.

reg a domain today cor $6 but can't sell tomorrow for $10,000? ok fine.

send it to auction. If you did your homework and it's a good name. it can sell for $500.

That's still way better than $120K to $125K,.

•••
your really question is "has the human race survived other crisises? either viral or economic?"

The answer has always been YES.

The human race is resilient. This Virus will kill many sadly. Stock markets will crash.

Just remember what happened during and after the 1918 spanish flu. Did it the human race recover and give us Kim Kardashian and her huge bum?

Did it give us $300 Yeezy sneakers? lol

Did it give us Baby Yoday?

Don't worry too much but but but protect yourself and your family so you can enjoy what happens after this.

well no lol
my question really was.. is.. do domains retain their value better than everything ele during this kind of crisis.. I know about staying safe is most important.. and wish you the best too.. but i really just wanna talk about domains as store of value here ;)

•••
well no lol
my question really was.. is.. do domains retain their value better than everything ele during this kind of crisis.. I know about staying safe is most important.. and wish you the best too.. but i really just wanna talk about domains as store of value here ;)

lol ok. just check out the daily sales on Namebio. and see what aged domains and decent and even ugly domains are selling for. if it's mostly $100 or below or under $130.

Then you should worry that domains are losing their store of value. if you keep seeing $500 and up? I mean to me that's great for auctioned domains. even aftermarket sales.

•••
lol ok. just check out the daily sales on Namebio. and see what aged domains and decent and even ugly domains are selling for. if it's mostly $100 or below or under $130.

Then you should worry that domains are losing their store of value. if you keep seeing $500 and up? I mean to me that's great for auctioned domains. even aftermarket sales.

lol ok. well.. its not a worry.. just a question.. i saw everything fall to pieces during the collapse now.. including bitcoin.. which I never thought it'd fal so hard.. so I thought i'd ask what domainers think about domains.. but seems to me that neither sales nor values of say liquid names like 3l.com seem affected by crisis. so I guess its a decent store of value!

however i think you mentioned in one of your posts that times like these could be great times to get awesome deals and discounts on names.. but i think i will have to disgaree on that

•••
Let's just follow Rick, hold your domains and find a side job such like ACrepair, lol. it's probably a good move since everyone want to stay home need air conditioner or air cleaner...

•••
Let's just follow Rick, hold your domains and find a side job such like ACrepair, lol. it's probably a good move since everyone want to stay home need air conditioner or air cleaner...

yea. Let's hope those's AC's have good filters. Are AC filters even NIOSH complaint?
lol ok. well.. its not a worry.. just a question.. i saw everything fall to pieces during the collapse now.. including bitcoin.. which I never thought it'd fal so hard.. so I thought i'd ask what domainers think about domains.. but seems to me that neither sales nor values of say liquid names like 3l.com seem affected by crisis. so I guess its a decent store of value!

however i think you mentioned in one of your posts that times like these could be great times to get awesome deals and discounts on names.. but i think i will have to disgaree on that

not 100% but there will be some who will take anything at this point. People who wanted $10,000 for a domain will now sell at reseller prices.

•••
I see what you mean
i guess the only way to determine if domains are good store of value is to go by sales numbers on liquid names.. like say 3l.com
if we start seeing those sell below floor or such, then I guess we have our answer.

well store of value is a tricky thing. seems in times of crisis.. nothing is immune to falling value and prices.

•••
Are AC filters even NIOSH complaint
Well...i guess will suck up a bit, it’s like alcohol don’t really kill virus but could restrain breeding, kind of mentally help.

•••

yes Rick is now doing ACRpairs

come on

•••
•••
Hi

if you look back to 2008, when economy tanked during housing market crisis
just when Obama was elected....

in the domain world, PPC was still paying good money and it was last update for overture tool.

although back then prices in general were lower than today, domains were still selling briskly and demand for category killers and top tier names were on the rise.

so, i'd say yes, domains... good domains, are a hedge in such times.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back