Dynadot

opinion Domains are akin to internet Real Estate

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ChubbyDfat

Established Member
Impact
After reading one of the threads " Is this a suitable analogy for domainers ", it inspired me to make this post.

There is a certain ebb and flow for me in regards to Real Estate speculation (some may call it investing, but it is all speculation until the moment you make a profit). Right now I am out of Real Estate because everyone and their mother is talking about how good it is... which is my red flag indicating that we are probably going to look for a down market (bubble burst) in Real Estate in the near future. So I am back to Domaining (internet Real Estate, if you will).

The aforementioned thread glossed over this idea but did NOT quite hit it on the head in my opinion. There was a lot of missing parts and components to the analogy. With that said, allow me to put in my 2 cents.

In Real Estate, there are 2 major types that you are looking at.
1) Commercial and 2) Personal. Each have their own unique set of rules and guidelines of what is needed to make make it successful and *IT IS IN MY OPINION* that domaining follows the same rules once you break it down.

I am sure everyone has heard of the saying "location, location, location" and this saying is true to both Real Estate and Domains. The "location" will directly influence the perceived value of either Real Estate or Domain *BUT* the rules differ for each type (commercial/personal) that you are looking for.

For commercial property, the highest desire is traffic. You want a steady flow of traffic by your place of business and that almost guaranties some element of success on its own.
McDonald's chooses corner lots on busy roads for a reason. It doubles their drive bye traffic and allows for greater convenience for their customers. McDonald's is in the Real Estate business more so then the burger business... dont be fooled.
The same thought process can be utilized for a mom and pops coffee shop or donut shop. You have to pick the right location for success. Let me give you an example.
A coffee/donut shop will see the most traffic in the mornings. Thus it is imperative that prior to choosing a location, they do some footwork and watch the flow of traffic. During the morning commute, you will see that the traffic has a tendency to flow in one direction. For your business to be a success, you must choose the location that will allow the traffic to freely access you during your peak hours (i.e.... be on the right side of the road). This will allow the ease of traffic in and out of your place of business which in turn will give you a greater portion of the drive bye traffic.

Business domains are no different.
If you are looking for a BUSINESS domain, you want the most traffic possible. A great keyword that fits your business is the best start. That alone will grant you some organic traffic. Next is building a facility that will accommodate your customers (read SEO/Website). In this case the ability to ease traffic in an out is up to your website and the placement of the big sign (SEO) out front (think the golden arches) lets people know you are there and open for business. This will increase your traffic flow and the value of your domain.

This is all well and good but does not fit if you are looking for a place to live (personal website). Most people do not want to live on a busy highway with millions of cars passing bye. Bear with me as I get this opinion out.
In fact I would hazard to bet that many of you would rather a house that has it all... all the glitz and glam that you see on the famous peoples houses. Hidden rooms, huge pools, heated floors, tennis courts, and the list can go on.
Those are rare and hard to come by. There is a certain numismatic value (think rare baseball cards) associated with those pieces of property because they are rare and widely sought after.

Personal domains are no different in this regard as well.
Singular letter and/or number domains hold value because there are just so few of them. 26 single letters and just 10 (if you count 0 as a number) numbers as a domain name in any given extension.
Very sought after (not for traffic) but for numismatic value.
Proper names hold great value, 2 character, 3 character... all hold great value because of numismatic value.

For me, I came late to the game. I only started to see that domains held Real Estate value about 6 years ago and I spent the few year or two trying to piece together how it all fit within a context that I know and understand (Real Estate).
Now I believe that I have a firm grasp on what to look for in regards to domain names. I look at each as a piece of property. Is it going to be for personal use or commercial use. That will tell me what type of rules apply to it.
If I am looking at commercial use then the domain name *MUST* fit within the context that it is intended (with a few exceptions) with a great key work for help promote traffic flow. Traffic flow is the number 1 goal of any commercial used domain name.
If its personal use domain name, then it has to have some numismatic value. What makes this name worth something? Why is it rare? What gives the domain its value?

Now with that being said, we can now take on the task of extensions (.com, .net, .co, ...etc)
Everyone here can agree (I am sure) that .com is akin to Real Estate in New York city in that it holds the greatest property value. The problem is that the central city is sold out and the the buildings there cost more then most people will see in their lifetime.
So now you start looking to longer tail names, but that pushes you further outside the city proper and the names/Real Estate value decrease as a result. We are nearing the point of saturation and the names are getting closer to upstate New York and Canada then they are to the NYC.

The next alternative are other extension. Yes, they take you out of the NYC area but, there are still value in other Real Estate outside the major cities. There are little pockets of expensive Real Estate here and there. They are small and get picked up quickly by savvy speculators but they are out there. They have their own traffic and they have their own beautiful houses.. No where near the millions of people that flow through NYC at any given moment or the property value of a skyscraper, but they are nothing to sneeze at either.

For me, if I had this association a few years back, I would have made several different choices in some of my failed domain names however I learned a lot through my failures. I have since made some wiser choices and made some nice sales (for profit) and even though I have failed more then I have succeeded... my success more then made up for my failures.

For any person who is just now looking into domaining, if you can put it into some sort of context that you understand (real estate, baseball cards, computers... etc) then I think that will help you make wiser decisions about what domains should look like and what value they would carry.

I hope this was as clear on paper (so to speak) as it was in my head.
I would like to hear your opinions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great post, thanks for sharing.
Personally I look at domains from a different perspective. It's quite hard to describe in a post, but I'm pretty sure it is valid too.

•••
Great post, thanks for sharing.
Personally I look at domains from a different perspective. It's quite hard to describe in a post, but I'm pretty sure it is valid too.

I would love to hear other ideas. I only put forth my point of view because it helped me understand some of the facets of domaining that before where over my head. Once I made the connection to something I understand (in this case Real Estate), domains took on a whole new light and the fog became easier to see through.

If you have another take it may help to try to describe your point of view. This is not a battle of "right and wrong", its just trying to clarify things to those who have not come to a realization of what domains are and can be.
Whether a speculator or a developer, there are many different facets of this and it may help one, or two, or a few by putting it down in words.

Just a thought.

•••
This is not a battle of "right and wrong"

Absolutely not, and in most cases findings and valuations would be similar.

I was intrigued by the whole notion of "value of a domain". To my knowledge, still there is no definition for it. Many people claim "what a buyer is willing to pay". This phrase is a useful hint, but hardly a definition, because it is vague - which buyer ?

So I believe it's not "value of a domain" , but instead "value of a domain to some person / company" . As the same domain may have different value to another person or business.

From there on there are several interesting conclusions to be drawn. For instance, I could appraise a domain for $1,000 , but someone else who knows a specific buyer who would love to have it , may appraise the same domain much higher.

So for a specific domain, if you know 1 buyer, your appraisal is based on this buyer (what you believe he would pay). If you know 10 prospectous buyers, your appraisal would be the HIGHEST of the 10 individual appraisals. Pretty sure it pays to have contacts !

I'll leave it here as I could be talking for hours :)

•••
So for a specific domain, if you know 1 buyer, your appraisal is based on this buyer (what you believe he would pay). If you know 10 prospectous buyers, your appraisal would be the HIGHEST of the 10 individual appraisals. Pretty sure it pays to have contacts !

imo, it would be a mistake to appraise a domain based on "how many potential" buyers.

as a domains' value is intrinsic, plus what it produces, and that, is irrespective to who may be interested in purchasing it.

though, who the interested party is, may allow for inflated asking prices.

imo.....

•••
Can you elaborate on the intrinsic value of a domain a bit more ? How do you calculate it ?

•••
Can you elaborate on the intrinsic value of a domain a bit more ? How do you calculate it ?

To my knowledge there is no given algorithm to evaluate a domain and I do have to agree with your above statement; "...but instead "value of a domain to some person / company"" however, I would also inject the caveat that this idea applies to ALL valuations.

I like Real Estate as you can probably tell from my opening post. However I did make the point in my second line that:

"There is a certain ebb and flow for me in regards to Real Estate speculation (some may call it investing, but it is all speculation until the moment you make a profit)"

I think this goes hand in hand in what you are alluding to. Even with property/Real Estate (a known store of value for as long as time can remember) there is no one set way to determine an exact price. You go by recent sales, size, desirable area, school(s), amenities... and the list goes on. You come up with a reasonable price range and put it on market. If it does not sell within 3 months average, then you know you priced it too high. Conversely it it sells the second it came on market... then chances are you severely undervalued it. It is not an exact science.

The same is true with commercial real estate. Actually it is even worse in some aspects. If a business building is left vacant for any extended period of time, the valuation drops like a rock. The longer its left vacant the less it is viewed as being worth. It could be nothing more then a down market or wrong time of year.

Anyway, the point being is that there is not set in stone way of looking at prices. As with anything, its a take your best guess. EVERYTHING is subject to the ebbs and flows of the public opinion of the day... hell even by the hour.
If you lead in with the idea that it is all speculation. You do your homework, and make an educated guess after knowing what variables are and weighing the reward over consequence then you can probably do fairly well.

Just an off the cuff example.
There is a nTLD extension out there .HORSE. I am going to pick on this one because it is easy.
Common sense will dictated that .HORSE is a very limited domain extension. Certain words do not fit the extension and therefore will not draw the $$$ that one would normally expect.
So using the keyword "CLOTHES". It is a rich key word and carries a certain amount of value. But when you pair it with the extension .HORSE... it looses a lot.
On the other hand, if you pair it with an extension a little more open like, xyz, or net, or co, or even ooo. I it will probably bring you some more value. Great key word... open extension will most likely bring a bigger value.

Educated decisions are your best bet. Stay away from impulse buys as they will normally bite you in the end.
UNDERSTAND what your end result is going to be. Know the difference between a business domain and a numismatic value domain and what is the distinction between the two.

I fully believe that if you can draw a conclusion between domains and something that you are interested in, then it will help you make better decisions on the value and deals in domains.

I liken it it Real Estate because I like Real Estate (and understand it), and because domain (like real estate) are limited in their numbers. Like they say, they are not making any more water front properties... well they are not making any more "KEY WORD" .COM names either. Those have been taken long ago.

Just my thoughts... I would love to keep this conversation going and anyone else to join in.

Last edited:
•••

consider a domain that sits by the lake and a domain that sits near manufacturing district.

both are undeveloped, yet each has it's own respective value as is, for it's location.

the one near the lake has "lake views", the one near manufacturing is close to employment.

another viewpoint:

LLL.com have intrinsic value because of "usage" potential, and rarity. then there are the "base price points" relating to quality of each respective LLL, any existing traffic and ppc revenue.

intrinsic value can also increase over time, for any given name, where it's subject matter becomes relevant to mainstream.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back