IT.COM

Domains and mobile phones - What am I missing here?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The other day, I got a chance to see an Iphone 2G in action. I was quite surprised when I asked my friend to pull up one of my .com blogs. Using the browser and shifting the phone horizontally, I could read every word clearly. It was like a mini version of my site except what I was seeing was far better than anything I imagined you could see on a mobile phone. After seeing this, I'm thinking what are special domains like .mobi needed for. You can use whatever extension you want and anyone using an Iphone won't have a problem. Now I know Iphone doesn't have the whole mobile market but I hear Blackberry is coming out with a similar device and others are following. So what am I missing here? In light of this info, is there really an issue with mobile devices and domains? Perhaps not.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In before lock and close.....

Seriously, this argument has been tried/used/pleaded many many many many many many many many times.

Suffice to say, it is usually ignored or ranted at for "not seeing the big picture", "being ignorant", "just wait until JcPenny get's their .mobi running".

•••
it's not about accessibility on mobile phones that has got to do with the domain ext. it has to do with branding.
.com - commercial sites
.net - network based
.org - organization
.mobi - mobility or mobile

•••
Quite frankly - .mobi was a TLD that came about 3 years too late and was obsolete the day it was released. Its a tool for the registry and ICANN to make more money, thats about it.

Consider how many mobile sites simply use redirects and m.domainname.com as the "mobile" url....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back