Dynadot

question Domains age

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

F33333

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

Just a quick question from a newbie. If you have only had a domain for a year but it was first registered 15 years ago, is it proper to say that it’s only a year old.. or since the time it was first registered?

Thanks for any replies

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It has a history (good or bad) but registration starts with renewal. If it was registered or renewed one year ago, it's aged 1 year.

•••
Thanks very much for the info. Yeah it was confusing as I wasn’t sure what to market it as being. Cheers again

•••
If the domain is allowed to expire, then its clock is reset. Lets say I register a domain name in June 1 2004. And renew it many times. But I let it expire and you hand register it in June 1, 2018. Then it is only one year old now, not 15 yr. You can use Whois to see the official age.

•••
Thanks bob hawkes for the info as well. It’s a shame because older domains tend to be more valuable from what I’ve gathered.. roll on the next 15 years!

•••
Well said. Any expiry of domain is finished. RIP.

New registration is like new birth.

Any sales quote like 5 year old domain means, it was not dropped for past 5 years

•••
Thanks greatwebss and everyone for the info. I would never want to mis-inform any potential buyer so this is appreciated!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back