SkypeTranslator.com
TheLinkedin.com
LinkedinProfiles.com
PlaystationE.com
eBayShipper.com
eBayApps.com
eBayRatings.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Mike Mann's TM infringement is so pervasive he could probably put up a legitimate defense the these TM holders have not been actively protecting their TM's :)

•••
In a recent article on dnjournal (http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm) we can read that Mike Mann's company DomainMarket sold a domain through sedo.
I was wondering why Mike Mann's company needs sedo (and pay sedo's 15% fee) to sell a domain ?
Any of you has an idea ?

•••
In a recent article on dnjournal (http://dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm) we can read that Mike Mann's company DomainMarket sold a domain through sedo.
I was wondering why Mike Mann's company needs sedo (and pay sedo's 15% fee) to sell a domain ?
Any of you has an idea ?

Perhaps he has negotiated a smaller fee.

•••
Yes you're probably right but that's still doesn't explain why he needs sedo as DomainMarket has its own transaction page

•••
Transaction page yes, but maybe the buyer found the domain via Sedo and paid via Sedo.

•••
I see your point but why does he need to list his domains on sedo ? He has his own sale Platform

Does that mean that powerful and famous domainers like Mike Mann need sedo to sell their domains ?

•••
More exposure doesn't hurt I guess. If he doesn't list them on Sedo, someone who searches there will not find his domains. He also has some domains listed at Flippa : https://flippa.com/users/859307/listings

•••
Not like it matters anyways. I know people who move 20 or so tm a year even.

•••
It's true that exposure is important to sell domains mainly if the buyer is an investor. If the buyer is an end user, the end user knows what he wants to buy so i don't think that it's that important to list on sedo as end user will search for the right domain by different ways.
If an important domainer like Mike Mann needs sedo to sell his domains, why would he build a company ? I mean he would just create a blog and list his domains on platforms. That would mean that the most important and famous domain sellers can't do without domain platforms like sedo, godaddy, flippa and others ?

•••
Nearly all the domain blogs write up a new article every time Mann reports sales, 1-3 forum threads take off as well, and the NP blog also covers his sales. I have never seen any of the domain blogs take issue with his blatant cybersquatting, and if they really found it problematic, they wouldn't be covering his every move like he is a true leader of this industry. Mike Mann tweets or posts something on his Facebook page, the domain blogs treat it as news. And on NP, I've only seen two NP members calling him out on this on multiple occasions.

When Mann is constantly given so much positive press coverage and attention, it normalizes his approach to domaining and make it seem perfectly fine (yet everyone would rip into a newbie who intended to profit from the kinds of names Mann own, and tear them a new one if they refuse to change their ways - what's the difference when Mann tries to profit off microsoft/google/sony/facebook/samsung/etc. TMs year after year?). Mann would not be covered in the way he is if people had a problem with his approach to domaining.

The domain industry legitimizes Mann’s cybersquatting, as the domain blogs (“industry thought leaders”) and domainers do not take a strong stance against it. Instead there are new articles and threads praising his sales every other week. When there is such a consensus about his approach to domaining, his behavior comes to be seen as acceptable and normal.

To sum up in short, Mike Mann is knowingly cybersquatting and ruining the genuine domainers and domain industry's image. No matter how many other clean domain he owns but on the other hand he is a cybersquatter as well.

•••
I was just thinking of the same. Who between Google and Microsoft files the UDRP for GoogleMicrosoft.com? This was perhaps a kind of intentional practical joke on the trademark holders.

I think Google will do the first since the name is in the front unless the name is MicrosoftGoogle.com... LOL

•••
Cant US companies sue for damages of up to 100k for cybersquatting if they prove damages, for each violation?
meant to say 1k

•••
what i learned from domaining is. ethics are only important to some. but sales trump everything.

•••
What Remedies May be Granted by the Court for Violations of the Act?

The Act authorizes a court to order the forfeiture or cancellation of a domain name or the transfer of the domain name to the owner of the mark. In lieu of actual damages, the plaintiff may elect statutory damages and the court has discretion to award damages of not less than $1,000 and not more than $100,000 per domain name, as the court considers just. 15 U.S.C. § 1117(d).

An infamous cybersquatter named John Zuccarini lost an ACPA lawsuit in October of 2000, when the court awarded the plaintiff statutory damages of $500,000 for each of five domain names that were obtained in bad faith and that were confusingly similar to the plaintiff’s trademark. The court also ordered Mr. Zuccarini to pay attorneys’ fees of more than $30,000. See Electronics Boutique Holdings Corp. v. Zuccarini.

•••
It's true that exposure is important to sell domains mainly if the buyer is an investor. If the buyer is an end user, the end user knows what he wants to buy so i don't think that it's that important to list on sedo as end user will search for the right domain by different ways.
If an important domainer like Mike Mann needs sedo to sell his domains, why would he build a company ? I mean he would just create a blog and list his domains on platforms. That would mean that the most important and famous domain sellers can't do without domain platforms like sedo, godaddy, flippa and others ?

Who says he only sells to end users. Like people have said, just more exposure. If he's getting sales thru Sedo, obviously it works listing there.

Looks like 2 sales from that link that week. 2 in the top 9:

$47,000
$19,888

that seems like 2 good reasons to list there. Then who knows how many more sales not listed in the top 20.

Last edited:
•••
This is not a good sign for new domainers probably. Domainers like him are like heroes for all in the industry, but if this comes from one of the top domainer than its definitely not going good.
Just checked namebio with google keyword and produced following;
I don not know who the buyers and sellers are, but see the platforms (also no idea, if these platforms are liable to not sell these famous TM domains), all are well known and on top of the industry. I would say, there are many (top players) are doing cybersquating to some extent. Bad examples for any one in this industry.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back