Dynadot

analysis Domaining should be restricted to the over 50's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not totally onboard with learning from our mistakes. Human nature tends to see repeat behaviour unless it's truly recognised as such. I'm sure, as with many I've been motivated by my successes, hence that analogy with gambling. But, again I don't see that as a true comparison either providing your 'betting' on your own accrued knowledge. plenty of professional and successful gamblers out there. Gamblers definitely don't see money the same way many do. It's just a token of success

Difficulty for me is that I've never been motivated by money (easy to say when you have enough) but I've been like that since I was a youngster. Recognition and successful career building took over from any monetary priorities. (something missing in childhood ;) I bet)

I do think this mind-set helps you detach yourself from domains and they don't become the be-all that many fall into. However it does make you blasé regarding opportunities, hence the mindset of 'another one will come along tomorrow' prevails.

I'm sure if many looked upon domains the same way - it would help curtail that Impulse buying. I do think if you see time disappearing at an alarming rate. time to rethink strategy
I agree that not being motivated my money gives you a different mindset/outlook, on life in general really not just business and yes you're right it's easy to say if you have enough to get by on. I've seen a few domainers say it's about the hobby and the excitement of looking for names and not necessarily the selling of names.

I've always been of the belief that its best to be time rich and money poor than money rich and time poor. I never do any overtime for my day job, never work weekends and never do out of hours work even though I've been offered more money. Life is about time with your loved ones imo.

Slightly off topic sorry lol.

Last edited:
•••
Funny thread. I think membership to namepros should be restricted to age 50+
Or you must post i love you in 50 different threads to bypass said restriction 🤗

This recommendation could make for a more embracing community forum. The caveat would be that folks 50+ have to say “I love you” back. ☺️

•••
The killer blow though tends to come with a follow-up comment on the envisaged usage and the imaginary pay-master that's going to write that $5,000 check. Honestly they do leave you speechless. What my message is that the vast majority of the older generation would stay away from domains as if they were the plague. They understand not to get into what they don't understand. Same can't be said for the instant gratification generation.

I will take a moment to apologise for the "clapping like seals" comment. That was a little bit OT That's the trouble with Brit sarcasm it doesn't necessarily travel well.

Last edited:
•••
Otherwise why would Verisign buy .web for $135M …
Brand protection.

.Web is like a worse .Net really.

Ethos Capital tried to buy .ORG for $1.135 billion dollars. That extension has similar metrics to .NET.

The difference is Verisign will actually own the .web extension, where they are only operating .COM/NET under a sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.

They will have the freedom with .WEB that they don't have with .COM/NET.

They can reserve names, set up premium registration/renewals, etc.

I expect them to take full advantage of that. If you want anything good, you are going to have to pay a premium for it.

If old world investors understood this and combined their knowledge with new world investors, WE as a people, WE as investors could dynamically change the value of The Domain Name Industry altogether !

But for now, we unfortunately cannot, we will agree to disagree, “All hail the mighty Verisign” so they say ! Move along, move along !

Have to prove you’re over 50 to participate in domain sales / investments , honestly, imagine if they would have said the same thing in the 90’s, I respectfully disagree with you to the fullest degree.
As the OP said it was a "tongue in cheek" comment.

People can invest in what they want to invest in. It's their money.

At the same time there is no reason to expect others to support your investments if they have a different perspective.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Well, sorry I think I've been very cordial with my language. I think you'll also find most of the experienced really do understand the market. It's the inexperienced that see these high sales as luck not the other way around as you seem to think.

I've spent many years as a business/distribution manager based in the East-end of London. Trust me I know how to avoid stepping on toes. But you have to emphasis a point of control otherwise the message just becomes wish-wash and meaningless.

I think I now understand where your coming from, Glad to have you post your point of view

Last edited:
•••
Easy with the negative downvotes whoever you are.
I disagree with Bailey, and still gave him +3 to neutralize your anonymous negative 3.

Cheers!

•••
I have 2 very favorite quotes.... that touch on this topic.... ENJOY! 😸

I think it was Oscar Wilde that said:
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward."

George Washington Carver was a very wise and kind man.... which is reflected in this quote:
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these."

•••
There has to be an emphasis placed on dismantling “the ruling-class ideology” that plagues domain investing.
The trouble there is that they tend to be very good at it. Domaining isn't ruled but perhaps over-influenced by certain key figures. I personally don't see that as a problem, I don't recall the late 80's and early 90's in regard the domain market purely because I wasn't part of it at that time. But it is certainly my belief that these are the same people that established that sense of value to desirable terms.

Coming into domains in the late 90's I still recall the trepidation of investing my hard earned cash in domains. Even the whole future of the internet was questioned as just a pure Geeky outlet for nerds and the like.
At the time I loved the fact that there were trailblazers that really cemented my belief that the internet was the future.

There has never been 'innovation' in domains since those early days. Many an add on yes. It took a little bit of bravery to hold out and hold on during the tech crash of the early 2000's. Even the domain resale market was fairly under cover and focused on the infant domain discussion groups. National newspaper adverts regularly offered the best domains which I must admit influenced me that there was something to be had.

Those early domainers were buying up left right and centre, Yep it was a land rush but there was very little trading/selling to be had. It was as I recall just pure belief in the future of the internet

Last edited:
•••
Brand protection.

.Web is like a worse .Net really.

Ethos Capital tried to buy .ORG for $1.135 billion dollars. That extension has similar metrics to .NET.

The difference is Verisign will actually own the .web extension, where they are only operating .COM/NET under a sweetheart no-bid contract with ICANN.

They will have the freedom with .WEB that they don't have with .COM/NET.

They can reserve names, set up premium registration/renewals, etc.

I expect them to take full advantage of that. If you want anything good, you are going to have to pay a premium for it.

As the OP said it was a "tongue in cheek" comment.

People can invest in what they want to invest in. It's their money.

At the same time there is no reason to expect others to support your investments if they have a different perspective.

Brad

Something we agree on, how rare Brad.

And of course, there are people with more money then sense in any industry, especially this industry, it does not cease to amaze me.

As far as the deal with ICANN, I presume you’re talking about the lawsuit in 2005-2006 over “site finder” in which Verisign sued ICANN and won the ultimate exclusive rights to .com with the ability to raise renewal rates by 7% annually …

Not only that ^ but they have full US government support, talk about a POWERHOUSE corporation !

I believe that more companies are waking up to the idea that “premium” renewals don’t work long term, it is a very small percentage of people that’ll pay $12,000 a year in renewals on one domain name and smile about it … but fair renewals, even $200 - $400 annually, what is that in the grand scheme of a business, the cost of toilet paper annually…

That said ^ the real value we have is investors supporting each other and educating new investors and endusers on the importance of “prime” internet realestate … imho that is not exclusive to .com domain names ^ if the name makes sense and can be tied to a valuable industry, by all means, who is to say that one is worth millions and the other is worth a tenth of that, because of “three letters” … and the truth is if we could break that barrier, there is no telling what kind of value we could create for the domain name industry ! .com domain valuations would go up astronomically and new internet real estate would start to trade in more volume, thus opening the golden doors to the future of what lies ahead !

And I gotta tell you “time” is on my side ! I believe that this is subject that if I continued on with, you would disagree with, but I’m fine with that.

I understand that in order for us both to be successful, we both have to be successful at “our own things” !

For now, praise the .com lords baby !

🤵🏼🥃

•••
Or you must post i love you in 50 different threads to bypass said restriction 🤗
Hey you, i say “i love you” a lot, and i am not restricted. Spread love, not war.

•••
Its the Young that learn and become Old experienced Domainers . Now how can you stop the Young if you want Old Experienced Domainers. Its a a Journey and experience learning process that each has to Go Through to become an Expert.

•••
Your making me want to jump back into the domain industry for one last hurrah lol ..
Oh Yes, me too. I don't truly know why but, I stopped buying domains years ago. (just the odd exception) Maybe sometimes the discussion becomes more interesting than the doing. But, for me there does seem to be enough new opportunities to be explored. I'm going to see how it goes.

Last edited:
•••
Everything in life is the same. Its just experience. Older people's experience is good for stability but the youths wrecklessness is good for innovation. Experience is gained from our mistakes.
I'm not totally onboard with learning from our mistakes. Human nature tends to see repeat behaviour unless it's truly recognised as such. I'm sure, as with many I've been motivated by my successes, hence that analogy with gambling. But, again I don't see that as a true comparison either providing your 'betting' on your own accrued knowledge. plenty of professional and successful gamblers out there. Gamblers definitely don't see money the same way many do. It's just a token of success

Difficulty for me is that I've never been motivated by money (easy to say when you have enough) but I've been like that since I was a youngster. Recognition and successful career building took over from any monetary priorities. (something missing in childhood ;) I bet)

I do think this mind-set helps you detach yourself from domains and they don't become the be-all that many fall into. However it does make you blasé regarding opportunities, hence the mindset of 'another one will come along tomorrow' prevails.

I'm sure if many looked upon domains the same way - it would help curtail that Impulse buying. I do think if you see time disappearing at an alarming rate. time to rethink strategy

Last edited:
•••
I believe that more companies are waking up to the idea that “premium” renewals don’t work long term, it is a very small percentage of people that’ll pay $12,000 a year in renewals on one domain name and smile about it … but fair renewals, even $200 - $400 annually, what is that in the grand scheme of a business, the cost of toilet paper annually…
If you want an extension to thrive you need top terms in the hands of end users, and in use to showcase the extension.

Instead most of these registries have decided to erect a paywall when it comes to most good terms.

That is just a way to ensure an extension has limited use, exposure, and demand.

Brad

•••
Experience is more of a determining factor and not a set age limit. Also, whoever (whatever generation) has the most spending power controls and determines the market.

•••
OK, it's a of bit tongue in cheek comment. But more and more I'm becoming aware of how the youngsters in domains do not appear to connect to old-world values. The older generation are the best to connect with both the modern terminology but usually understand where value lays in terms that have appropriateness to many modern businesses. Basically solid foundations in that .com domain. The old minds have the ability of history, experience and adaptability. learning is just an additional aspect.

Whereas the younger generation only have their recent connectivity to go on. Sure they pick things up as they go along but blimey it takes a long wait for penny's to drop.

AGE VERIFICATION Required before you enter this domain registration/sales site ;) Strictly for your own protection.

Ahh but was it not so, that once upon a time ago, “old” domainers during the 90’s were investing in .com domains when everyone told them it was foolish to put their money into what would become the worldwideweb … “old” .commers … most of them weren’t 50, Frank wasn’t, Rick wasn’t, Mike wasn’t …

“Oh don’t put your money there” … “you are too young, and naive” … what a bunch of malarkey …

And what has happened since the beginning ? The internet as we know it has dynamically changed and wether you know it or not, it is for the better ^ why if it wasn’t for those “youngsters” (our) industry would not have the value it has today … nor would there be any room for growth …

On your other note, just imagine if we only had (2) .extensions available to the public, .com and .net … It would be chaos for any new investor or any new business’ today … single keyword .com domains would be priced to a degree where only .01% could afford it and there would be nothing to else, the internet would be compacted by business’ with similar names or letters added on, or cities added on, or double, or triple, or even quadruple keywords … see we have 2000 new .extensions online at the moment, and we already have people who devise smart systems to automatically register any valuable single keyword and double keyword domains that get dropped ^ and now we are approaching a period where businesses’ have choices / thus WE as investors provide open hands to the industry, some businesses’ see this and capitalize on it ! Otherwise why would Verisign buy .web for $135M … why would Amazon and Google literally bid against each other @ private domain auctions just to own a new .extension like .buy or .shop … If old world investors understood this and combined their knowledge with new world investors, WE as a people, WE as investors could dynamically change the value of The Domain Name Industry altogether !

But for now, we unfortunately cannot, we will agree to disagree, “All hail the mighty Verisign” so they say ! Move along, move along !

Have to prove you’re over 50 to participate in domain sales / investments , honestly, imagine if they would have said the same thing in the 90’s, I respectfully disagree with you to the fullest degree.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.gif
    IMG_1255.gif
    688.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
•••
I guess I am not old enough to be in domaining. :xf.cry:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I will take a moment to apologise for the "clapping like seals" comment. That was a little bit OT That's the trouble with Brit sarcasm it doesn't necessarily travel well.
Three minutes and 14 seconds of your time, sir.

Thank you.

Last edited:
•••
Doesn’t matter whether you’re 10 or 90. All that matters is that you own domains that sell.

•••
Let's make it a 100 for good measure. If you survived that long, you'll surely find your way around domains.

•••
Everything in life is the same. Its just experience. Older people's experience is good for stability but the youths wrecklessness is good for innovation. Experience is gained from our mistakes.
I agree that studying and then learning from mistakes is fundamental.
I took 15 years to become a real domainer.
It may be that many of us started young but then refined the technique as adults

•••

•••
👃We can likely agree the centralized domain investing culture has been shaped by a hard-nosed investor attitude that involves crucifying the idea of investing in anything besides a short and aged .com. This isn’t the most welcoming culture. Especially not for our grandchildren.
I invest in a lot more than .COM, and a lot more than single word domains.

Considering there are 160+ million .COM registrations, a very low percentage are actually single words or short domains.

The thing it seems most people in this thread’s comments are alluding to is a need for “change”. The fact investors getting behind an age restriction in this industry doesn’t seem far fetched, let alone age 50, might mean it’s time to reevaluate “our collective expectations”.
No one is actually getting behind an age restriction. :ROFL:

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My thoughts about everyone entering the domain arena has remained pretty constant over the last 5 to 10 years. At one time you really needed to seek out the information to truly get involved in domains. Now it's everywhere, as a road-to-riches model. So who are drawing-in, of course it's the inexperienced in any sort of investing mostly the younger generation.
I'm sure there are many 'youngsters' half your age that are 'better' at this hobby and are making more money than you.

I may be younger and not have as much wisdom as you, but that doesn't stop me from learning, doing my best and taking part in a HOBBY (or more than a hobby, if I want it to be).
The good thing about this field is the low barrier to entry.

Anyone with a few dollars and a dream has a chance.

Of course, they have a much better chance if they are willing to do the work and learn.

It you treat it like an actual business, your odds are a lot higher than treating it like a lottery.

Brad

•••
Maybe for a top tier combo, but when it comes to something less than that it is hard to justify $200 - $400 a year vs like $10/year when it comes to COM/NET/ORG and most legacy ccTLD.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back