NameSilo

Domainers: Because NameJet Hates Us and We are Dumb

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DU

Secret SantaTop Member
Impact
Once again I notice the odd domain auction.

It's invariably at NameJet. I guess they love to make money off of the dumb.

lnvestor.com

Here's my advice.

1) Use a word processing software or spreadsheet and have it translate the domain to UPPER.

Would you bid $1800 on LNVESTOR?

NameJet should do this for you (and assume we're dumb) - but instead it sells names like this by the truckload.

2) Search for it on Google

You will get something like:

Searched for Investor did you mean lnvestor

3) Use common sense. IF Investor.com was to drop (hardly likely being MSFT) but assume it was... do you think that it would be sitting at a PreRelease for $1800?

No. Erdy and myself would be more likely to believe that it would be "magically held back" and never reach the light of day until it was sold much later for a huge number by a close registrar partner.

Common Sense people.

Unless, of course, lnvestor is worth that much and I'm the dumb one?

Be careful what you bid on.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sedo used to auction IDNs that appear to be English words like nıke.com (notice the i doesn't have a dot) and I remember opening a topic at namepros and people complained to sedo and they added an idn icon next to each idn.

If domainers would act together they could make those sites fix their problems. There are many sites that have terrible problems or rules. For instance some sites make it difficult or impossible to transfer out. We need domainers to act together on these issues.

These days I'm looking for support on another issue. See my signature about Dynadot problem. I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of interest.

•••
I saw hormail.com sell for that amount not too long ago.

•••
•••
This domain is being auctioned again. It's at $3500 bid right now.

•••
Saw that on auction too. When it was around $1800.00
Automatically I saw something fishy and knew it was Lnvestor.
Since it is in alphabetical order .
I guess the bidder will just pay out of excitement and loose out.
I don't think a domainer would have not seen the typo

•••
Is this a yearly event? New domainers need to go through series of test and fire drill using lnvester

•••

Years ago, I won vvebbooks.com at Pool, thinking it was webbooks.com; I have kept the domain as a reminder, although I think I may finally allow it to drop.

I complained to Pool and got a partial refund; the font that they used was VERY confusing when it came to vv and w.

It was a lesson well-learned and not too expensive, and I have never made the same mistake again.

:)

The eventual Lnvestor winner is going to have a rude awakening.

•••
Can you say misrepresentation. Clearly it should be displayed/represented initially as Lnvestor and not lvestor.

•••
Afternic has one good feature: they display domains in both lowercase and uppercase, with spaceing between letters too.

•••
•••
Response from Namejet:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting NameJet Technical Support. I'll be glad to assist you today.

We provide many tools so a potential bidder can be sure they are bidding on a domain that they chose.

One of the main ones is the link that says (view in uppercase) to keep people informed of just the very issue you are describing. When a person clicks (view in uppercase) they will see the domain is LNVESTOR.COM. Also, you can use whois information available at the registrar of the domain, as well as any 3rd part whois service.

A potential buyer should always use caution and double check any domain they are buying is not a typo or is actually numbers instead of letters since There are no refunds after an auction has closed even if you win a name that is spelled differently than you originally thought, or you later find there is a trademark associated with the domain. You, and any potential buyer, should investigate to see whether the domain name you select infringes legal rights of others before backordering a domain and making a commitment to pay for auctions awarded to you.

If there is anything else we can help with regarding this situation, please let us know. If you need assistance outside of my posted hours, please call our 24 hour support line listed on our site and reference this ticket number. By doing so, any Agent can take over this ticket and will be happy to continue working with you.

Thank you for choosing NameJet as your source for aftermarket domain names.

Best Regards,
Daniel L.
Technical Support

•••
I have little sympathy for the winner or those who placed bids. NameJet didn't do anything disingenuous; in fact, they provided tools to ensure the domain was what the buyer was expecting.

Now, if they said, "don't you want to 'lnvest' in this great name?", I would have a different opinion, but on auctions like this, it's really buyer-beware.

This type of thing happens all the time. A much bigger issue is IDNs selling for thousands at Sedo.

•••
•••
•••
NJ, even advertises that domain in the 7 to 9 Characters Domains Newsletter (as top choice lol) and obviously it made the top 10 in the most active Auction Newsletter as well.

•••
•••
and sheep get slaughter :)

i guess we are in the jungle. everything goes...

I know and totally agree that a buyer must do some diligence but I also believe that an auction house should make an effort to remove such dubious situations.

but hey, we are gladly participating in these scams day in and day out.

what do you think about a domain being listed as a pre-release domain - when *officially* there are no private sellers on namejet - and with fake bids to list them up to the top page?

regards,
tonecas

•••
Here we go again. lsrael.com (LSRAEL.COM) on Sedo auction at $2,000! :lol:

•••
TBH, I would research about the domain name before "lnvestin" that much, or even a dollar. I mean, it's a common sense to do so before investing that much, c'mon.

I don't think it's NameJet's responsibility to check for each of such resembling words.

•••
Here we go again. lsrael.com (LSRAEL.COM) on Sedo auction at $2,000! :lol:

The seller clearly says it's a typo on DNF. The buyer is an idiot.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

TBH, I would research about the domain name before "lnvestin" that much, or even a dollar. I mean, it's a common sense to do so before investing that much, c'mon.

I don't think it's NameJet's responsibility to check for each of such resembling words.

lnvestor.com auction was cancelled.

•••
The seller clearly says it's a typo on DNF. The buyer is an idiot.

The domain isn't on auction at DNF, it's at Sedo, so it would be fair to specify it there.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back