Dynadot

Domainers and AdSense don't mix!!

Spaceship
Watch

Len

dot TV'erVIP Member
Impact
What I actually mean is domainers very, very rarely click on any Adsense ads. The funny thing is, as domainers using Adsense, we all hope to get lots of clicks on our own ads.

The proof is clearly there (for me anyway). I have a couple of websites carrying Adsense for content - One is domains I have for sale of which I am sure most traffic is domainers. The other is a website giving general advice on divorce.

The domains for sale site has not made one cent from Adsense yet has 10x the traffic of the divorce site which gets regular visits to the ads.

I have finally proved to myself that Domainers and Adsense don't mix!! Think about it.......When was the last time you clicked on an Adsense ad? :]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even worse, since you aren't supposed to click on your own ads, I find I actively avoid clicking any ads :)

I think that same kind of disconnect between domainers and end users effects their valuation ideas too.

•••
Even worse, since you aren't supposed to click on your own ads, I find I actively avoid clicking any ads :)

I think that same kind of disconnect between domainers and end users effects their valuation ideas too.

Very true! I hadn't thought about it that way but you are right.....We are programmed to steer clear in fear of violating the Adsense TOS.

•••
"Techie types" in general don't click on Adsense as much as other people - there have been studies.

The other thing is, what kind of ads are coming up on the "domains for sale" site? Are they relevant? Interesting? Or just the same-old, same-old everyone whose been in domains > 6 months has already seen? You can try blocking some of the urls to try to bring in something fresher and/or more relevant - may or may not work, some sites just don't convert well for Adsense.

I'll click Google ads in the search results if I'm shopping around for something and the ad copy looks promising. I rarely if ever click content network (Adsense) ads on websites though. Not because I'm programmed not to click my own ads, but because I've become kind of blind to them. Not so blind that I don't notice when someone's plastered their page with the max # of ads though, in which case I immediately assume there's nothing worth seeing on that site and hit the back button pretty quickly.

•••
"Techie types" in general don't click on Adsense as much as other people - there have been studies.

The other thing is, what kind of ads are coming up on the "domains for sale" site? Are they relevant? Interesting? Or just the same-old, same-old everyone whose been in domains > 6 months has already seen? You can try blocking some of the urls to try to bring in something fresher and/or more relevant - may or may not work, some sites just don't convert well for Adsense.

I'll click Google ads in the search results if I'm shopping around for something and the ad copy looks promising. I rarely if ever click content network (Adsense) ads on websites though. Not because I'm programmed not to click my own ads, but because I've become kind of blind to them. Not so blind that I don't notice when someone's plastered their page with the max # of ads though, in which case I immediately assume there's nothing worth seeing on that site and hit the back button pretty quickly.

Ads are related to hosting and domain purchase at various registrars etc. some well known some not. The site is not overwhelmed with ads, just one side column of scrollable ads showing four at a time.

•••
Ads are related to hosting and domain purchase at various registrars etc. some well known some not. The site is not overwhelmed with ads, just one side column of scrollable ads showing four at a time.

Yeah, it sounds like your site may just fall into the "doesn't convert well for Adsense" category. Wouldn't hurt to experiment with ad colors, formats, placement and ad block sizes (if you haven't already).

Or try other avenues of monetization - such as affiliate programs for impulse-purchase type items that may appeal to your visitors (what are domainers likely to buy on impulse ... besides more domains :D ???)

•••
I use Adblock with Firefox. Anyone else use it? :p

•••
Webmasters, Domainers seldom click on ads unless its something really interesting. But then again How DP and NP earn from AdSense ? I wonder whats their CTR ..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back