Dynadot

discuss [Resolved] Domainer Loses $26k On A Stolen Domain!

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Darn! Another scam and this time it is an experienced domainer James Booth.

James must have thought he was making a sound acquisition as he transferred approximately 26k to escrow for CQD.com. Instead, after completing the escrow, the domain was taken from his account by the registrar without notification and returned to the "true" owner.

Turns out the person that sold him the domain CQD.com, may not have been the true owner.

Apparently this incident involves several parties including the registrar and the escrow.

Thanks to Theo over at DomainGang for the tip on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I know I did. I truly thought they verified the identities of the parties to the escrows.

I never expected they could verify the domains, but the parties, I thought they did that.

Never buy or sell online without using Escrow.com
With Escrow.com you can buy and sell anything safely without the risk of chargebacks. Truly secure payments.

The benefits of Domain and Website Escrow
Since the Buyer pays Escrow.com and not the Seller, Escrow.com can withhold payment until we're satisfied the domain name has been transferred by the Seller. One of the ways Escrow.com does this is by checking the WHOIS database of the appropriate Registrar to make certain it properly reflects the new Buyer's name as the domain name Registrant. Once this has been verified, Escrow.com releases payment to the Seller.

Buyer benefits

• Peace of mind, security, and convenience
    • Assured domain name transfer prior to paying Seller
    • Ability to confirm domain ownership directly with the registrar before the Seller is paid
    • Ability to pay by wire transfer and in some cases PayPal, check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) Restrictions Apply
    • Ability to send credit card information to a financial institution, not a stranger
    • Easy access to live customer support by phone or email

Escrow.com and Payoneer need to make clear what the value of their service is in cases that go south, if the user is just on their own, then it makes little sense to use their service. Because trust me I firmly believe bad players have watched this case and thought "Hmmm, they think if they use Escrow they are in the clear, if we can dupe Escrow.com then the buyer/seller has no one to back them up, my scams look better if I use an escrow company."

This case should be a wake up to everyone dealing in domain names.

•••
I am almost thinking James should demand his money back from escrow and give escrow back the domain.

Then escrow could return the domain to Rebecca, and begin chasing down the criminal that peddled it through them.

Escrow would have all the authorities behind them unlike James and Rebecca.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I am almost thinking James should demand his money back from escrow and give escrow back the domain.

Then escrow could return the domain to Rebecca, and begin chasing down the criminal that peddled it through them.
But it's not their problem, it is up to the buyer to do due diligence, and investigate the asset being purchased.
And I am not saying that Booth didn't do enough due diligence here. But escrow.com only guarantees the payment, they are not privy to the negotiation that takes place before and they are not in a position to determine if the asset is clean. The best they can do is research whois history and possibly require additional proof if they see any suspicious changes. There are basic checks to be performed against money laundering, but 'extreme vetting' of purchase is beyond the scope of escrow service and their capabilities.

However, escrow.com is the only one who knows where the money has gone. Now it is up to either party to obtain the information from them, and go after the thief - good luck with that.
Even if their KYC procedures have been insufficient or bypassed (what a surprise), I still fail to see why they should take responsibility for the loss.

Escrow.com does not provide a sale agreement. They provide an escrow agreement solely.

As long as people continue to conduct business this way, this is going to keep happening. The sequence is usually "but I paid through escrow.com". Unless you have a sale agreement specifying EXACTLY who is getting paid and to what account, you don't know who is getting paid. The way domainers keep doing this is ridiculous, because then you get stuck in the loop of Escrow.com not divulging the payment information to which payment was sent, and which would have likely provided an indication that, say, wiring money to some bank in Turkey was probably not how a Florida corporation normally gets paid.

•••
Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this if it is in fact different than a regular escrow transaction.

In fact, any of us selling something and receiving funds through any third party escrow service, could in fact have those funds be removed at a later date and taken back by a court of law, if deemed "illegally obtained" by the purchaser since lapses can occur as seems apparent in this thread, and there are no guarantees of KYC. Sure, there are laws covering KYC, but from what I can tell here in this thread, there are no guarantees, and perhaps limited liability.

Think about that one for a moment.

If they cannot guarantee "ownership", then how about "origin of funds", how can they guarantee the transaction is safe?

With all these inane "money laundering" laws and that buzzword thrown around all the time. Who is to say simply to trust anyone on high value domains about origin of funds?

I posted this here on March 9th:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/do...n-a-stolen-domain.1068888/page-8#post-6608247

Are services offered through Escrow.com safe?
Definitely. You and your transaction are protected every step of the process, thanks to our stringent logging, tracking, and verification procedures.

But the CA law states contrary:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=17410.&highlight=true&keyword=Escrow

(a) Escrow or trust funds are not subject to enforcement of a money judgment arising out of any claim against the licensee or person acting as escrow agent, and in no instance shall such escrow or trust funds be considered or treated as an asset of the licensee or person performing the functions of an escrow agent.

(b) Interest paid or payable on funds deposited in escrow by a licensee are not subject to enforcement of a money judgment arising out of any claim against the licensee or person acting as escrow agent.

(Amended by Stats. 1982, Ch. 497, Sec. 93. Operative July 1, 1983, by Sec. 185 of Ch. 497.)

-------------------

Here is the email dialog that concierge provided me on one concierge controlled transaction:

1st email.. Now that your Buyer's funds have been secured, we are ready to secure the domain name from you. We can see that the domain name is currently with XXXXXX. Is this correct? After securing the domain name from you, we will release your funds either the same or following business day (Monday-Friday). We will then work directly with your Buyer to complete the transfer to their registrar. Please ensure that your domain is ready for transfer by completing the following steps: -UNLOCK the domain -Turn privatization OFF If you are unfamiliar with how to perform these steps, please contact your registrar.

2nd email: Escrow.com is now purchasing the transfer to our xxxxx registrar account. Before you proceed, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you do not make any changes to the WHOIS or any part of the registration as this could result in a transfer lock being imposed by ICANN and the domain will be unavailable for transfer for 60 days. If you are unfamiliar with how to perform these steps, please contact your registrar for assistance. We ask the Seller to do the following: -UNLOCK the domain -REMOVE the privacy -SEND us an authorization code -FORWARD us the email which XXXXX will send you containing additional transfer codes. Their email will include a Transaction ID and Security Code which we require to process the transfer. Please be sure to forward that email to [email protected] from your registered email address.

3rd email: Thank you for forwarding these codes over. (I emailed the Auth Code to Escrow.com, which to me means they took possession and complete control)

Then:

The domain has now been transferred to the Buyer and payment has been sent to the Seller. This transaction is now complete.

•••
Rebecca is now clearly lying.

• Message Details:
    • Name Rebecca Burns
    • Email [email protected]
    • Subject CQD.com
    • Message james, you stole my domain when it was purchased through escrow.com by you through a person not authorized to sell it, and with zero affiliations to me. It was a hacker who fraudulently conducted business with you. I have worked all my life, and owned this domain for 22 years. it is my business. Please return it to me. I did NOT receive any money. The "seller" was not me. This will ruin my life. i have been crying all day over this. PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING AND GIVE IT BACK TO ME. As God is my witness to do the right thing you will be rewarded 10 fold. Just as if you do the wrong thing you shall be punished. Colossians 3:25 Whoever does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism. I was never contacted. I was not a part of this transaction. I am a victim here. I would appreciate your acknowledgement and return CQD.com to her rightful owner. I created her. She is like my child and she is worth way more than what you spent, you know this. -Rebecca Burns ComQuest Designs 352-870-5282
  • Sent on: 8 March, 2018

info <[email protected]>
Mar 8
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to spoiltrider
cleardot.gif

Hi Rebecca,
I am willing to work with you to get this resolved. I don't appreciate you making accusations at me though as that is unfair. The total amount paid was $25,000 plus Escrow fees. I am curious to where you got the number of $19,000 from. I also have proof of the Escrow transaction. The Director of Fraud and Abuse at Web.com did a 3 MONTH investigation in to this case and returned the domain to me as I purchased the name by all the relevant legal channels. Suing 7 different people is going to cost you high 5 - low 6 figures. Even though I know the domain name is worth more than what I paid I am happy to resolve this by selling the name back for what I paid. The law suit will also take years to resolve.
If you have any interest in getting this resolved, communicate privately.

Regards,
James

RJB
Mar 9
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me, Zak
cleardot.gif

james and zak (whoever you are)

do you think what you have done is the right thing?
can’t you call escrow.com and get refunded through this. that is what i would do for you if shoes were on the other foot.
i have the email that was being used in my cqd.com web mail, and my hosting company is currently pulling all ip address assocated with the hack.

can you not recoup your money from the platform you used?

i am not party to this transfer and i never authorized it, verbally or in writing in any way.

i am filing for a court order to get it back.

the right thing to do is give it back to me.

the self-roughoues thing to do is not giving it back. that’s greed.
and that is where karma will come back on you ten-fold.

i will work as long as it takes to get my 22yo domain that has been abducted, stolen, hijacked from me. that’s the right thing for me to do.
this domain is like my daughter to me. it’s also 22 years of business, corp id, emails and web presence that you are not interring with.
to you it’s just a 3 letter domain to make you flip money.

i will march the steps of the law makers and make it much more legally damning (felony) for buyers and sellers of known stolen domains which are legally known as personal property. i am the neice of law makers. sometimes it’s not what you know but who you’re related to.

i aim is also to tom lam, the “investigator” (a ghost) fired when i am done with this.

so hopefully you will do the right thing, and i will help you anyway i can show proof that my email account was hacked and a user with a gmail account not associated with me crafted all the emails between you him and escrow.com

what say you?

the right thing?
or karma coming after you 10 fold?

i am a middle aged woman. this domain is my nest egg. you have stolen more from me than you will admit to yourself, i am sure.

but whatever you choose, and no matter the outcome, i will be doing the right thing, and doing unto others as i would have them do unto me.

-rebecca burns
rightful owner of CQD.com
352-870-5272.

you know my domain was stolen. i am stating this as such.

info <[email protected]>
Mar 13
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Rebecca, Zak, David
cleardot.gif

Hi Rebecca,

I have tried to be as reasonable as possible and offer an amicable resolution that is not ideal to either party, but that nonetheless is a compromise that makes the best of a poor situation. You chose to ignore my lawyers and me and instead continue to write on public forums.

Let me be perfectly clear: my position is that I am a bona fide purchaser of the domain and the rightful owner with ample proof of this fact. I will vigorously defend myself against any and all lawsuits. You have posted defamatory and false information about me and my company all over the internet and in places where that information will remain forever.

You say I should contact Escrow.com; I say you should contact the FBI and find out who the “thief” is, if there was in fact a thief. Let me also be clear: I purchased this domain name for $25,000 and have proof. I will NOT give this domain name away and incur that loss.

I am willing to give you 2 options to resolve this amicably:

Option 1: You pay me the amount I paid for the domain name through my lawyer and I return the domain name to you.
Option 2: If you cannot afford the domain name upfront, we can work out a payment plan for the full amount through my lawyer.

If I do not hear from you by 17.00pm EST on Friday 16th March, you will be contacted by my lawyers for the damages you have done to my name and reputation.
If any more posts are made publicly all of these options are off the table.

Regards,
James

I don't understand why @BoothDomains is so quick to post emails from the real Rebecca, yet he has since gone silent to requests to post emails from the alleged hacker / thief who was allegedly using Rebecca's email at the time of James (or maybe Jacks) alleged purchase of an alleged stolen domain.

Last edited:
•••
It would be great to know who cashed the check. Someone cashed a check according to Rebecca. How can that information be made available?

•••
To be fair Kate, CQD.com sold for it's wholesale value, you see what James just saw RQD.com for, almost exactly the same price

upload_2018-4-7_17-49-23.png

On March 1st, 2018: A new member (@Drummer) had posted [his/her] first (and only) post (to date) to NamePros which had listed RQD.com with a $30k BIN.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/rqd-com.1068085/

It might have switched hands (and/or maybe sold?) 1+ times.

upload_2018-4-7_17-55-10.png

**notice entries 2-4: Three (3) different emails in less than a 10 day period from March 15th to March 24th.**

Last edited:
•••
I don't understand why @BoothDomains is so quick to post emails from the real Rebecca, yet he has since gone silent to requests to post emails from the alleged hacker / thief who was allegedly using Rebecca's email at the time of James (or maybe Jacks) alleged purchase of an alleged stolen domain.

Yes it would be nice to get the whole picture, not selective pages from a book.

•••
@BoothDomains isn't liable to answer to any questions here. NP is a discussion forum, not a Federal Court to answer summons. He is taking a good approach by keeping matters close to legal counsel and might have a good case to defend when summoned.

On the other hand, Rebecca, has done enough to smear @BoothDomains' reputation. Imagine the repercussions if the case is won by James and he files a Defamation case against Rebecca. She will have to shell out more than what she can afford.

This case should have better been discussed more with lawyers then in open forum. We won't know who is the victim here but are quick to jump wagons.

•••
I think we need to revisit this email exchange between the two parties. This was posted by James earlier in the thread...

• Message Details:
    • Name Rebecca Burns
    • Subject CQD.com
    • Message james, you stole my domain when it was purchased through escrow.com by you through a person not authorized to sell it, and with zero affiliations to me. It was a hacker who fraudulently conducted business with you. I have worked all my life, and owned this domain for 22 years. it is my business. Please return it to me. I did NOT receive any money. The "seller" was not me. This will ruin my life. i have been crying all day over this. PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING AND GIVE IT BACK TO ME. As God is my witness to do the right thing you will be rewarded 10 fold. Just as if you do the wrong thing you shall be punished. Colossians 3:25 Whoever does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism. I was never contacted. I was not a part of this transaction. I am a victim here. I would appreciate your acknowledgement and return CQD.com to her rightful owner. I created her. She is like my child and she is worth way more than what you spent, you know this. -Rebecca Burns ComQuest Designs 352-870-5282

info <[email protected]>
Mar 8
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to spoiltrider
cleardot.gif

Hi Rebecca,
I am willing to work with you to get this resolved. I don't appreciate you making accusations at me though as that is unfair. The total amount paid was $25,000 plus Escrow fees. I am curious to where you got the number of $19,000 from. I also have proof of the Escrow transaction. The Director of Fraud and Abuse at Web.com did a 3 MONTH investigation in to this case and returned the domain to me as I purchased the name by all the relevant legal channels. Suing 7 different people is going to cost you high 5 - low 6 figures. Even though I know the domain name is worth more than what I paid I am happy to resolve this by selling the name back for what I paid. The law suit will also take years to resolve.

Regards,
James

RJB
Mar 9
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me, Zak
cleardot.gif

can’t you call escrow.com and get refunded through this. that is what i would do for you if shoes were on the other foot.
i have the email that was being used in my cqd.com web mail, and my hosting company is currently pulling all ip address assocated with the hack.

i am not party to this transfer and i never authorized it, verbally or in writing in any way.

i will work as long as it takes to get my 22yo domain that has been abducted, stolen, hijacked from me. that’s the right thing for me to do.
this domain is like my daughter to me. it’s also 22 years of business, corp id, emails and web presence that you are not interring with.

i will march the steps of the law makers and make it much more legally damning (felony) for buyers and sellers of known stolen domains which are legally known as personal property. i am the neice of law makers. sometimes it’s not what you know but who you’re related to.

i aim is also to tom lam, the “investigator” (a ghost) fired when i am done with this.

so hopefully you will do the right thing, and i will help you anyway i can show proof that my email account was hacked and a user with a gmail account not associated with me crafted all the emails between you him and escrow.com

what say you?

the right thing?

i am a middle aged woman. this domain is my nest egg. you have stolen more from me than you will admit to yourself, i am sure.

but whatever you choose, and no matter the outcome, i will be doing the right thing, and doing unto others as i would have them do unto me.

-rebecca burns
352-870-5272.

info <[email protected]>
Mar 13
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Rebecca, Zak, David
cleardot.gif

Hi Rebecca,

I have tried to be as reasonable as possible and offer an amicable resolution that is not ideal to either party, but that nonetheless is a compromise that makes the best of a poor situation. You chose to ignore my lawyers and me and instead continue to write on public forums.

Let me be perfectly clear: my position is that I am a bona fide purchaser of the domain and the rightful owner with ample proof of this fact. I will vigorously defend myself against any and all lawsuits. You have posted defamatory and false information about me and my company all over the internet and in places where that information will remain forever.

You say I should contact Escrow.com; I say you should contact the FBI and find out who the “thief” is, if there was in fact a thief. Let me also be clear: I purchased this domain name for $25,000 and have proof. I will NOT give this domain name away and incur that loss.

Option 1: You pay me the amount I paid for the domain name through my lawyer and I return the domain name to you.
Option 2: If you cannot afford the domain name upfront, we can work out a payment plan for the full amount through my lawyer.

If I do not hear from you by 17.00pm EST on Friday 16th March, you will be contacted by my lawyers for the damages you have done to my name and reputation.

Regards,
James

•••
Show attachment 84928

On March 1st, 2018: A new member (@Drummer) had posted [his/her] first (and only) post (to date) to NamePros which had listed RQD.com with a $30k BIN.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/rqd-com.1068085/

It might have switched hands (and/or maybe sold?) 1+ times.

Show attachment 84929

**notice entries 2-4: Three (3) different emails in less than a 10 day period from March 15th to March 24th.**

For sale on Sedo now.

https://sedo.com/search/details/?domain=rqd.com

•••
I think we need to revisit this email exchange between the two parties. This was posted by James earlier in the thread...

• Message Details:
    • Name Rebecca Burns
    • Subject CQD.com

info <[email protected]>
Mar 8
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to spoiltrider
cleardot.gif

Hi Rebecca,

Regards,
James

RJB
Mar 9
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me, Zak
cleardot.gif

what say you?

the right thing?

-rebecca burns
352-870-5272.

info <[email protected]>
Mar 13
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Rebecca, Zak, David
cleardot.gif

Hi Rebecca,

Regards,
James

I'm not sure what you're implying by re-posting this?

•••
How did she come to this conclusion even though James used his name ‘James’ in the email signature?

•••
How did she come to this conclusion even though James used his name ‘James’ in the email signature?

I assume it's because there's missing emails as James may have been selective at what to post...

•••
I'm not sure what you're implying by re-posting this?
It seems both Rebecca and James made their position clear in that email exchange.

•••
I assume it's because there's missing emails as James may have been selective at what to post...
It's possible.

Some pointers from email:
March 8 - Email sent from Rebecca Burns to James, to which James replies.
The above shared Email doesn't show any indication of CC / BCC towards Zak or David.

March 9 - Rebecca Burns replies / emails to James & Zak
(Who is Zak? How did Rebecca Burns know Zak's email id?
i am the neice of law makers. sometimes it’s not what you know but who you’re related to.
She obviously threatened him.

March 13 - James replies to / emails Rebecca.
We see CC/BCC to Zak and David. If he replied to Rebecca's previous email, Zak would be in CC, if chosen 'reply to all'.
I am wondering who 'David' is.

You chose to ignore my lawyers and me and instead continue to write on public forums.
James' lawyers contacted her, as per the email context. Why did she ignore them?

Were there more emails shared in between March 9 - March 13?

•••
@spoiltrider Hi Rebecca,

Have you asked Web.com for a complete copy of the report of their 3 month investigation from their Director of Fraud & Abuse into why they returned CQD.com to James Booth? If you haven't, you should!

Have you asked Escrow.com for a copy of the payment they made to you, including the form of payment, to whom it was made out to, where it was sent and where it was cashed? If you haven't, you should!

Have you asked Escrow.com for an explanation and all the documents regarding the Mike Han transaction that was reversed in regard to CQD.com? If you haven't you should?

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if her netsol is open any more.

•••
Last edited:
•••

I find it hard to believe Rebecca sent the first email in that string. But maybe. I'll ask Rebecca when the weekend is over.

To clarify, I believe she sent that email, but I suspect there may be other emails before that.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I find it hard to believe Rebecca sent the first email.
I agree to that.
  • Message Details:
    • Name Rebecca Burns
    • Subject CQD.com

This looks like a reply to an email.

•••
•••
Some pointers from email:
The above shared Email doesn't show any indication of CC / BCC towards Zak or David.

March 9 - Rebecca Burns replies / emails to James & Zak
(Who is Zak? How did Rebecca Burns know Zak's email id?
She obviously threatened him.

Easy there late-comer @BrandMart:

All this proves is that James was Blind Carbon Copying his lawyer, which we believe to be (but not confirmed) Zak Muscovitch, whom we think petitioned Web.com (Network Solutions) to return the CQD.com to James account because he had an Escrow.com receipt and the thief had moved the domain from Rebecca's account to James account, so they could get paid, prior to Rebecca having this reversed.

And the below is not even close to being a threat! I would know, I'm from New Jersey!:xf.wink:

"i am the neice of law makers. sometimes it’s not what you know but who you’re related to."

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back