NameSilo

warning Domain scam uses previously registered domain names and a sob story

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
A new domain scam is making the rounds, and it involves domains that were registered previously, but which were then dropped.
You let a domain drop, and someone registers it and sets it up for sale for a relatively low price, for example $499 dollars
At that point, as the previous owner, you get contacted by a third party (supposedly) that offers you a sum well above that price point, for example $1,499 dollars.
Naturally, both parties are the same scammer, and once you buy the domain for $499 you will never hear back from the buyer ever again...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's an old one - been around since domain sales began . Real-time whois killed it years ago as a feasible scam - so can't even imagine who would fall for it today

Last edited:
•••
A new domain scam is making the rounds, and it involves domains that were registered previously, but which were then dropped.
You let a domain drop, and someone registers it and sets it up for sale for a relatively low price, for example $499 dollars
At that point, as the previous owner, you get contacted by a third party (supposedly) that offers you a sum well above that price point, for example $1,499 dollars.
Naturally, both parties are the same scammer, and once you buy the domain for $499 you will never hear back from the buyer ever again...
Read More

Very similar to what government's do legally.

•••
We have to remember the difference between domain owners, and domain sellers, those of us that choose to advertise a domain for sale should have a basic understanding of the whys and wherefores and an awareness of new and old scams. I look at some of the posts here on namepros and think would I be taken in ?. Nope I don't think so. I've learnt to be sceptical about anything to do with domains. Hence it is a Chess like game - from Registering to Owning and Renewing to Selling.+ That's what makes it great-fun.

Yep I get stupid attempts on my domains - some I love to explore just for the novelty of the attempt.

ps - I really don't own anything worth stealing. IMHO. A while back 2003 two really good generic. coms stolen by a Chinese id - but that I'm saving/hesitant until I can let rip and the current user prepared

Last edited:
•••

That's a bit naïve, a video about what free markets do to influence actionable government policy would be more akin to the truth. Watch Germany for the next two months ;)

Merkel took a chance by taking/inviting the first 1,000,000 immigrants that could afford to get there 'As invited' So mostly well educated, and well financed - I could carry on

Last edited:
•••

That's a bit naïve, a video about what free markets do to influence actionable government policy would be more akin to the truth. Watch Germany for the next two months ;)

Merkel took a chance by taking/inviting the first 1,000,000 immigrants that could afford to get there 'As invited' So mostly well educated, and well financed - I could carry on
perception1.jpg

•••
Yep. but lets not deviate Lets understand Germanys low birth rate. 1:2 (one point two per household) Financial protection comes to mind, A undervalued (If stood alone) German economy by 37% Give me new (Well financed) German maybes/Immigrants and let the rest of Europe pick up the pieces. - we'll accept we'll have to manage a 1% bad ownership problem from those well driven. far better than the 50% left to the rest of Europe -But hey we led by example :)

Sorry for the Highjack thread starter

Last edited:
•••
i had a request for a name i used to own a little while ago, maybe the same scam i don't know. i just ignored it anyways (can't sell something i don't own)

•••
If i was going to let a domain drop, there is no way I would even want to buy it back for $499 to be honest.

•••
Hmm. Interesting scam lol. Simple.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back