IT.COM

discuss Domain Sales - is it the economy? The market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
I don't follow the stock market as closely as I use to, however has anyone noticed the comeback in the US market since the corona crash earlier this year? While the overall market is down slightly, the Nasdaq is hitting new highs practically every day. You really need to look no further than Go Daddy's stock symbol GDDY to see what I mean.

I've been taught to believe that markets are forward thinking, and if my portfolio performance is any indication of the future, domains look to be a good investment.

I've been honing my domain skills for two years now while being chastised daily for my approach and style. It's been said my style is actually bad for the industry:xf.rolleyes:.....and i love it!

How are your sales? Have you let the Corona Virus and the cancel culture crowd impact you? I hope not, for I still see unparalleled opportunity for the foreseeable future:xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've been honing my domain skills for two years now while being chastised daily for my approach and style. It's been said my style is actually bad for the industry:xf.rolleyes:.....and i love it!

NO! No need to be overly dramatic by continuously pretending to be the underdog by saying people say your style is bad for the industry. You keep paying registrars for tons of domains, so you're actually good for the industry.

More importantly .. I'm going to try to make this as clear as possible.You have been told that what you are doing it not domaining .. it is business development. There is nothing wrong with business development .. just like domains, chances of success lots of people make tons of money on it.

The problems I and many others have with most of your posts is that you misrepresent your dreamed up "business development plans" as domaining. But it is not, because most of your "concept" domains are totally worthless without the business plan (whether the actual business plans are any good themselves is a totally different non-domain related discussion that simply DOES NOT BELONG in a domain focused discussion).

We're not specifically saying your ideas are bad (although many were, but again .. that's besides the point). We're just saying that when you buy hundreds of related domains and the entirety of the value of that batch domains you acquire is fully and completely dependent on the creation of a very random new business idea that you personally created that has virtually a zero percent chance of someone else thinking of, then it's no longer domaining.

And again .. we aren't necessarily saying your business ideas are bad, it's just that without a business plan and investment into the actual business, the domains have zero value.

Also .. I'm not talking about the entirety of your portfolio, as I think in the time since you have acquired some "domainer" domains that indeed were not stand alone business concepts. Over the years I've seen at least a couple of domains you've mentioned that we decent domainer investments (because I could picture another person wanting the domain). But the critiques in question have been based on your "business concept portfolios" (like your hundreds of Simpli+word domains), which again, is business development .. and not domaining.

Anyhow .. as for the future of domains in a Covid-19 world. There have been several discussion on the subject. I think most would agree that times of turmoil are usually times of change .. which in terms are times where there are a lot of new ideas and in turn new businesses, which indeed in turn means new domains.

•••
NO! No need to be overly dramatic by continuously pretending to be the underdog by saying people say your style is bad for the industry. You keep paying registrars for tons of domains, so you're actually good for the industry.

More importantly .. I'm going to try to make this as clear as possible.You have been told that what you are doing it not domaining .. it is business development. There is nothing wrong with business development .. just like domains, chances of success lots of people make tons of money on it.

The problems I and many others have with most of your posts is that you misrepresent your dreamed up "business development plans" as domaining. But it is not, because most of your "concept" domains are totally worthless without the business plan (whether the actual business plans are any good themselves is a totally different non-domain related discussion that simply DOES NOT BELONG in a domain focused discussion).

We're not specifically saying your ideas are bad (although many were, but again .. that's besides the point). We're just saying that when you buy hundreds of related domains and the entirety of the value of that batch domains you acquire is fully and completely dependent on the creation of a very random new business idea that you personally created that has virtually a zero percent chance of someone else thinking of, then it's no longer domaining.

And again .. we aren't necessarily saying your business ideas are bad, it's just that without a business plan and investment into the actual business, the domains have zero value.

Also .. I'm not talking about the entirety of your portfolio, as I think in the time since you have acquired some "domainer" domains that indeed were not stand alone business concepts. Over the years I've seen at least a couple of domains you've mentioned that we decent domainer investments (because I could picture another person wanting the domain). But the critiques in question have been based on your "business concept portfolios" (like your hundreds of Simpli+word domains), which again, is business development .. and not domaining.

Anyhow .. as for the future of domains in a Covid-19 world. There have been several discussion on the subject. I think most would agree that times of turmoil are usually times of change .. which in terms are times where there are a lot of new ideas and in turn new businesses, which indeed in turn means new domains.

Here you go again trying to get a misinformed:xf.frown: message across in 700+ words that could have been said in 50 words or less. What intrigues me most is the "we" factor that you inject in your rant that gets me even more pumped up:xf.wink:

Sorry to bust your bubble, but I'm less of a developer than than a so called domainer. To bust your chops even further I now have a proven track record doing both:xf.smile: I needn't say anymore to you other than to thank you for the thousands of words of encouragement you have spewed my way.

You couldn't learn anything from me nor would you want to. So I suggest you go away in peace and stop wasting your time and drivel, and that goes for "we" too:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
To bust your chops even further I now have a proven track record doing both:xf.smile:
Proven track record of making money selling domains? That's awesome, Rich! Would love to hear about it. Do tell.

•••
He might be in cash burning phase. Amazon did that for many many years and just started getting into black few years back. So give him another decade and then he can share the results )

•••
Here you go again trying to get a misinformed:xf.frown: message across ...

Not too sure how what I said is misinformed? But if you want it in basic simple terms you might actually have a chance of understanding ...

You said this ..

I've been honing my domain skills for two years now while being chastised daily for my approach and style.

What I'm trying to tell you is that most of your posts have been about a batch of concept domains you've acquired for the purpose of getting people to invest into a "business concept". Most of the domains are totally worthless on their own, and any potential value would be in the "potential" business.

I'm not necessarily saying your business ideas are good nor bad .. simply that what you are doing is "Business development" and not "domaining" since the majority of the domains you acquire for these purposes have virtually zero value and zero chance of selling on their own as investment domains. (Such as the hundreds of Simpli_____.com domains you registered)

Last edited:
•••
Proven track record of making money selling domains? That's awesome, Rich! Would love to hear about it. Do tell.
You know I can't share personal information like that on NP or I'd be accused of promoting myself. Wish I could help you Joe, but the fact that I'm still here honing my skills and evolving as a domainer every day will have to suffice. This thread indicated my my sales are doing fine despite the pandemic and the negative rhetoric. How are your sales doing Joe? You need only say (y) or (n). I'll get the message:xf.smile:

•••
Not too sure how what I said is misinformed? But if you want it in basic simple terms you might actually have a chance of understanding ...

You said this ..

What I'm trying to tell you is that most of your posts have been about a batch of concept domains you've acquired for the purpose of getting people to invest into a "business concept". Most of the domains are totally worthless on their own, and any potential value would be in the "potential" business.

I'm not necessarily saying your business ideas are good nor bad .. simply that what you are doing is "Business development" and not "domaining" since the majority of the domains you acquire for these purposes have virtually zero value and zero chance of selling on their own as investment domains. (Such as the hundreds of Simpli_____.com domains you registered)
Ategy....about my SimplyXXXX.com domains? That was almost two years ago and I doubt seriously your portfolio looks the same today as it did two years ago. I guess you didn't hear me say I'm honing my skills, and I'm evolving every single day as a domainer and a developer. If you're not making progress like I've been making you really shouldn't be in the game. I still have lots of room for improvement and always will.

You sir haven't a clue how my portfolio has evolved and you haven't a clue how any of my development projects are doing....do you? The fact that I don't play the domain game your way is disheartening isn't it?
Despite "domaining" not actually being a word, Wictionary defines it as; "The buying and selling of domain names". Ategy....i don't know what you do, but that's what i do. Now give it a rest, you and the "we" you refer to are wasting your time:xf.rolleyes:

•••

You said this ..

Sorry Ategy....in my previous post there was a typo...Simply_____, and it should have been Simpli______
Now to give you a little assist, I didn't buy "hundreds" of Simpli_______ domains, but rather 18 at a total cost of about $150. Where you get off on lying and saying I bought "hundreds" of these domains is baffling. Do you care to apologize? Also, I just went back and checked and saw where I had bought the domain SimpliVegas in December of 2017, and I later dropped it according to HosterStats in Feb of 2019 or 18 months ago.....yet you're still harping on it? What gives here Ategy?....seriously.

You sir really need to get a life....I'm not here to harm you or anyone else. I'm here to learn, share and evolve. Why are your here?

Last edited:
•••
He might be in cash burning phase. Amazon did that for many many years and just started getting into black few years back. So give him another decade and then he can share the results )
Thanks for chiming in El....your interview with with Andrew inspired yet another domain creation
ABGrowing:xf.wink:com. I haven't reg'd it yet, but you may see it on "reg of the day" if I decide to.

Not sure if you know anything about astronauts or space, but I have a good friend who is an astronaut at NASA there in Houston. Maybe you would like to meet him for your internet rag. If you're real nice I could arrange an interview, but you have to be nice:xf.smile:

•••
what exactly would be the difference between domaining and business development? Are they the same thing. How you create and maintain your portfolio is essentially building your business. Am I missing something?

•••
This topic is sharp, I like it.

•••
what exactly would be the difference between domaining and business development? Are they the same thing. How you create and maintain your portfolio is essentially building your business. Am I missing something?
I think I can help you with that sansmidman. I've been investing in domains since November of 2017 or just 2 and 1/2 years ago. Having started, named and owned business in other industries for the last 50 years I may know a little about business, and if you would like to check my credentials just go to my "information" link here on NP and locate my Linkedin bio. While that info could be all a lie like so called professional domainers here on NP will say, there are other ways to check me out or you can even contact me personally.

"domainer" ie., "domaining" is simply defined by Wictionary as; "An individual or company that engages in the buying, selling, marketing, monetization and publishing of internet domain names"

This is what I do in addition to "developing" an occasional domain that may turn into an actual business. I'm actually in the process of "developing" my own domain business, the name of which you'll see at the bottom of my page here. I've been successful in business "most" of my life, and I bring to this industry a different perspective, especially when it comes to "selling" domains.

Not all domainers are developers and not all developers are domainers. I happen to be both much to the chagrin of many of the "old time" domainers who attempt to discredit my every word. That's OK however, because I just love it when people who think they are much smarter than me tell me I can't or shouldn't do something, for I have the power:xf.wink:

•••
You know, Trump is rich so does his acquaintances, stocks pumped for election and after campaign you might see it dump again then they all profit back.

Last edited:
•••
Domaining is generally considered to be the practice of buying and selling domain names based on their standalone value only.

Business development (in this context) is building an online business on a domain and generating revenue from its business activities (i.e. monetizing the domain).

Can you do both simultaneously? Of course. But on this forum we often see newer domainers register names because they think it would make a cool name for a business (with no data to support that any potential buyers would agree). They talk about development plans, but have no plans for how to sell the name on its own merits.

Last edited:
•••
Domaining is generally considered to be the practice of buying and selling domain names based on their standalone value only.

Business development (in this context) is building an online business on a domain and generating revenue from its business activities (i.e. monetizing the domain).

Can you do both simultaneously? Of course. But on this forum we often see newer domainers register names because they think it would make a cool name for a business (with no data to support that any potential buyers would agree). They talk about development plans, but have no plans for how to sell the name on its own merits.

That is something to think about. Let me ask you this, if the domain name itself was a premium on it's own, would you keep it as it is and recommend not developing a business around the domain? Any potential buyers who would be interested in a premium domain like that already has their own vision for that domain, right?

•••
That is something to think about. Let me ask you this, if the domain name itself was a premium on it's own, would you keep it as it is and recommend not developing a business around the domain? Any potential buyers who would be interested in a premium domain like that already has their own vision for that domain, right?
If it's a premium name (like a three letter or one word) then development shouldn't be necessary to sell the name. In fact I would say that development could hurt as much as help your chances, by limiting the potential of the name in your buyer's mind, or having them see it in a way they did not see it previously.

Of course premium names are wonderful to build businesses on. And you could certainly sell that profitable business. But then you're not just selling names... you're building businesses.

•••
I think I can help you with that sansmidman. I've been investing in domains since November of 2017 or just 2 and 1/2 years ago. Having started, named and owned business in other industries for the last 50 years I may know a little about business, and if you would like to check my credentials just go to my "information" link here on NP and locate my Linkedin bio. While that info could be all a lie like so called professional domainers here on NP will say, there are other ways to check me out or you can even contact me personally.

"domainer" ie., "domaining" is simply defined by Wictionary as; "An individual or company that engages in the buying, selling, marketing, monetization and publishing of internet domain names"

This is what I do in addition to "developing" an occasional domain that may turn into an actual business. I'm actually in the process of "developing" my own domain business, the name of which you'll see at the bottom of my page here. I've been successful in business "most" of my life, and I bring to this industry a different perspective, especially when it comes to "selling" domains.

Not all domainers are developers and not all developers are domainers. I happen to be both much to the chagrin of many of the "old time" domainers who attempt to discredit my every word. That's OK however, because I just love it when people who think they are much smarter than me tell me I can't or shouldn't do something, for I have the power:xf.wink:

Good to meet you ThatNameGuy. You seem to have a reputation here. I think I understand now. We as glorified apes can be very much trapped in box thinking. We find a box and we put a lot of time and effort into being in that box and especially when we reach a point where our identity is THAT BOX, then anyone who challenges that box in any sorta way is challenging the time and effort we put into it. So people take it personal when they encounter an out of the box thinker.

The goal is to be successful and to make money. Is it not? Is the goal to see if our actions align with the definition of a particular box? Titles and words don't matter. If you are having a good time and if you are being successful, fuck boxes I say

•••
You know I can't share personal information like that on NP or I'd be accused of promoting myself

Of course you can - that is what the report completed domain sales thread is for......now get get promoting

There is a world of difference between can't and won't........

If you don't want to name the domains that have sold, can you at least say how many you have sold?

•••
You know I can't share personal information like that on NP or I'd be accused of promoting myself. Wish I could help you Joe, but the fact that I'm still here honing my skills and evolving as a domainer every day will have to suffice. This thread indicated my my sales are doing fine despite the pandemic and the negative rhetoric. How are your sales doing Joe? You need only say (y) or (n). I'll get the message:xf.smile:
Apologies for the misunderstanding, Rich. When you said "proven", it implied that there was some information you were able to share.

Reporting details of your sales isn't considered self-promotion as long as you do it via the proper channels:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/

I've only had two sales since January, although my biggest one to date occurred in April:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-790#post-7743251

My other one was smaller, but I was happy with the return and quick turnaround:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-770#post-7614778

Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
•••
Good to meet you ThatNameGuy. You seem to have a reputation here. I think I understand now. We as glorified apes can be very much trapped in box thinking. We find a box and we put a lot of time and effort into being in that box and especially when we reach a point where our identity is THAT BOX, then anyone who challenges that box in any sorta way is challenging the time and effort we put into it. So people take it personal when they encounter an out of the box thinker.

The goal is to be successful and to make money. Is it not? Is the goal to see if our actions align with the definition of a particular box? Titles and words don't matter. If you are having a good time and if you are being successful, fuck boxes I say

I'm having fun alright..........this is a little hard to believe but the domain fuckboxes.com is taken:xf.rolleyes: Do you own it?:xf.wink: I'll share a couple of my experiences with you that I'm sure my critics will read about here.

When I first discovered this industry in November of 2017, I was amazed to find that I could come up with about a dozen domain name ideas every day that could possibly work for business that I might start. I'd accumulated about 400 .com domains when I discovered what are referred to as new gTLD's. Because I'm a golfer I bought domains like; Focus.Golf, Swing.Golf and Hitech.Golf. Originally the company Donuts that sponsored the .Golf extension was going to partner in a booth with me at the worlds largest amateur golf tournament in Myrtle Beach the summer of 2018. Unfortunately the CEO of Donuts left the company about that time, and they backed off our arrangement. While I was accumulating .golf domains I was also accumulating .loans domains for the financial industry and about 100 .homes domains for the housing industry. There too I was hoping to partner with a local registry that owned the .homes extension to sell domains at real estate and home builder shows, but that never came to fruition either:xf.frown: Since I know these types of domains wouldn't sell themselves and the renewal's were pretty high I decided to gradually exit that market and focus more on .com domains. I currently own about 1,000 mostly .com domains of which I've sold two this year, one for $1,399 and the other for $500. Here's some proof, if you're to believe it, of the $1,399 sale from Afternic; "richard,
We have completed the transfer of arkxxxxx.com. You will receive an email within 1-3 business days to notify you when your payment has been sent to you. Please note if your payment method is "Payment by Check " then it may take up to 7 business days to be mailed to you." Bottomline, I've been paid:xf.smile:

I'm also in the process of raising capital for a domain that I'm "developing" for a Virtual Zoom Scotch Tasting business that I started six weeks ago.

Earlier in this thread you'll see my response to "Recons" who was recently interviewed by Andrew Alleman about his 5,000 domain portfolio that doubles every year. That sort of growth prompted me to take a look at registering ABGrowning.com that stands for "Always Be Growing". There are those here who would say that name "sucks" as a domain just because I registered it, but I don't listen to their drivel:xf.wink: As you can see, I don't fit in their little box and I never will. That's all for now.

•••
I'm having fun alright..........this is a little hard to believe but the domain fuckboxes.com is taken:xf.rolleyes: Do you own it?:xf.wink: I'll share a couple of my experiences with you that I'm sure my critics will read about here.

When I first discovered this industry in November of 2017, I was amazed to find that I could come up with about a dozen domain name ideas every day that could possibly work for business that I might start. I'd accumulated about 400 .com domains when I discovered what are referred to as new gTLD's. Because I'm a golfer I bought domains like; Focus.Golf, Swing.Golf and Hitech.Golf. Originally the company Donuts that sponsored the .Golf extension was going to partner in a booth with me at the worlds largest amateur golf tournament in Myrtle Beach the summer of 2018. Unfortunately the CEO of Donuts left the company about that time, and they backed off our arrangement. While I was accumulating .golf domains I was also accumulating .loans domains for the financial industry and about 100 .homes domains for the housing industry. There too I was hoping to partner with a local registry that owned the .homes extension to sell domains at real estate and home builder shows, but that never came to fruition either:xf.frown: Since I know these types of domains wouldn't sell themselves and the renewal's were pretty high I decided to gradually exit that market and focus more on .com domains. I currently own about 1,000 mostly .com domains of which I've sold two this year, one for $1,399 and the other for $500. Here's some proof, if you're to believe it, of the $1,399 sale from Afternic; "richard,
We have completed the transfer of arkxxxxx.com. You will receive an email within 1-3 business days to notify you when your payment has been sent to you. Please note if your payment method is "Payment by Check " then it may take up to 7 business days to be mailed to you." Bottomline, I've been paid:xf.smile:

I'm also in the process of raising capital for a domain that I'm "developing" for a Virtual Zoom Scotch Tasting business that I started six weeks ago.

Earlier in this thread you'll see my response to "Recons" who was recently interviewed by Andrew Alleman about his 5,000 domain portfolio that doubles every year. That sort of growth prompted me to take a look at registering ABGrowning.com that stands for "Always Be Growing". There are those here who would say that name "sucks" as a domain just because I registered it, but I don't listen to their drivel:xf.wink: As you can see, I don't fit in their little box and I never will. That's all for now.

Funny story, I was going to reg fuckboxes.com around November last year. I got lazy and waited a few days and this chick got it for her blog.

Good sales. I guess the beauty of hand reg domains is that the potentially huge profit margin. $1399 is pretty damn good for a hand reg.

A virtual Zoom Scotch Tasting Business. Now that is some out of the box thinking. People and scotch and the community aspect but they can be in their pj's and in their comfort of their home. This is fucking brilliant. I mean I would have a virtual scotch tasting session and talk shit with people who are also relaxed. I might have to handreg every virtual tasting domain I can think of. O_o

ABGrowing.com. Alberta Growing. Growing Cannabis that is. :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:(y)There are always going to be other apes who won't believe your conviction. A guy in my town who was a big time rock and stone polisher, who goes around digging petrified trees that turned into rock and polishes them. So he comes across dinosaur poop and he does something with it and tries to sell it for over a year, a random bystander who saw him pack up his tent from a show sees the poop and buys it for top dollar. Point is it doesn't matter if somebody doesn't like your domain. All that matters is the one person that does.

•••
I currently own about 1,000 mostly .com domains of which I've sold two this year, one for $1,399 and the other for $500.
Way to go, Rich! You're on your way! A few more like that and you'll be covering renewals for free this year.

Why aren't you able to share the names?

•••
Funny story, I was going to reg fuckboxes.com around November last year. I got lazy and waited a few days and this chick got it for her blog.

Good sales. I guess the beauty of hand reg domains is that the potentially huge profit margin. $1399 is pretty damn good for a hand reg.

A virtual Zoom Scotch Tasting Business. Now that is some out of the box thinking. People and scotch and the community aspect but they can be in their pj's and in their comfort of their home. This is fucking brilliant. I mean I would have a virtual scotch tasting session and talk shit with people who are also relaxed. I might have to handreg every virtual tasting domain I can think of. O_o

ABGrowing.com. Alberta Growing. Growing Cannabis that is. :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:(y)There are always going to be other apes who won't believe your conviction. A guy in my town who was a big time rock and stone polisher, who goes around digging petrified trees that turned into rock and polishes them. So he comes across dinosaur poop and he does something with it and tries to sell it for over a year, a random bystander who saw him pack up his tent from a show sees the poop and buys it for top dollar. Point is it doesn't matter if somebody doesn't like your domain. All that matters is the one person that does.
Thanks sandsmidman....talking about thinking outside the box...i just emailed the GM and LAWYER for the band War to let them know their domain could be worth as much as TEN MILLION DOLLARS. War was a band that I followed back in the 60's and 70's, but I'm sure they know they have a valuable domain. You seem to be a pretty smart guy so if you'd like to get involved get out of your box:xf.wink: and contact me....that goes for the Whisky business too. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
@ ThatNameGuy

TEN THUMBS UP ! ! !

for your idea of brokering the domain War.com

your commission on that sale should be HUGE and cover a Multitude of Sins

I burned thousands $$$$ and I STILL have not wised up, but you have JUST PROVEN that all it takes is

ONE BRILLIANT IDEA

( and I am sure you have a good many of them, as do I... )

I have always believed that the most valuable thing Pitney Bowes owns is their Name -

it is a Grand Old Name

they also own PB.com

pb is the symbol for LEAD

which may have something to do with their Stock Price - dropping like LEAD

but there are ALWAYS Stocks to Buy - like XRX - copy that ?

•••
Back