Dynadot

discuss Domain Portfolio Website...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
I decided to scrap my portfolio website some time ago, as at the time I felt it wasn't attracting enough sales/leads and wasn't performing as well as I'd hoped. I haven't really thought about a possible relaunch until now.

Is having your own portfolio website REALLY worth it?
Does it add any credibility to your brand?
Have you had any success through your own portfolio?

Interested in your feedback before I commit to another $26 / month!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From experience no, it just leads to incoming spam

•••
I decided to scrap my portfolio website some time ago, as at the time I felt it wasn't attracting enough sales/leads and wasn't performing as well as I'd hoped. I haven't really thought about a possible relaunch until now.

Is having your own portfolio website REALLY worth it?
Does it add any credibility to your brand?
Have you had any success through your own portfolio?

Interested in your feedback before I commit to another $26 / month!
Would like to hear others opinions also as I've thought of doing this but imagine I'd need a portfolio of more than 250 or so domains.
Whats the 26$, a third party portfolio service or your own web hosting fees?

•••
•••
I have done an experiment last year with 20 domains and it worked great.. as I closed 3 sales directly.

What I did

Listed xyz . com with bin price on all major platforms like sedo/afternic/dan/uniregistry etc

And listed same name on my website with 10% less price.

Domain was pointing to my website page.

So either user can trust afternic or other platforms and buy there or save 10% if they buy directly from website.

Like one of the member said its just leads and incoming spam.. In my website I didnt show make an offer page.. direct buy now or phone number to have a word..

Now in process to redesign my website and then to add all domains I have.

•••
In my experience there isn't much point in having a portfolio website with a homepage unless all your names are in the same niche as its unlikely a buyer will go to your portfolio and look through. Generally they will already k ow what name they want and go directly to it. So having your own landing pages is certainly a viable option as you then save yourself 3rd party commission on sales.

The reason sites like Afternic generate portfolio sales is because a buyer will want a domain with a certain word in it and be able to search hundreds if not thousands of names with that word in (which is why I say there's not much point in having a portfolio page unless you have a lot of domains in the same niche or with the same keywords).

It would be interesting to know how many sales come from marketplace referrals as opposed to natural traffic. My guess is the natural traffic is the main source of buyers which means you pay a listing service like Afternic for a landing page.

Problem is making your own landing page and individually pricing domains on each would take an age.

•••
I love my portfolio website because it will helps to cut commissions and more details about buyer. It takes more time to manage but really worthy for me.

As @Tushar Batra mentioned just add 10 - 15% highers prices at afternic, sedo, dan platforms. so it will not affect sales. If you get right buyer (big investor) he may buy more in future.

Goodluck for your best launch (y)

•••
Somebody emailed me an offer for a loan for post COVID-19 recovery with the subject "Recovery-Loans".

So I checked and that name was not registered, so what the heck. I registered:

Recovery-Loans.com

sometimes i feel if am i crazy because i see & hear domains everywhere. glad to know there are more people like that.

I have done an experiment last year with 20 domains and it worked great.. as I closed 3 sales directly.

What I did

Listed xyz . com with bin price on all major platforms like sedo/afternic/dan/uniregistry etc

And listed same name on my website with 10% less price.

Domain was pointing to my website page.

So either user can trust afternic or other platforms and buy there or save 10% if they buy directly from website.

Like one of the member said its just leads and incoming spam.. In my website I didnt show make an offer page.. direct buy now or phone number to have a word..

Now in process to redesign my website and then to add all domains I have.

Reminds me of how certain property owners provide 10% discount for paying on time or paying in advance.
Good luck with your site redisgn.

•••
i’m kinda new to the domain thing but i recently launched my portfolio free via Epik marketplace builder. you can customize pages, can use a custom domain, add scripts and you can list 3rd party domains too.
i mean its free n pretty easy :)

Last edited:
•••
if you build your own it doesn't take much but if you can't and you want a truly turnkey solution either that or accept the 9% commission at Epik or Dan, Epik has a full fledged custom marketplace option and Dan you could just redirect a domain to your listing page.

I'm building my own and just going to host it on a $5/mo cloud provider which should handle the traffic it'll get for now. And then I'm going to run all my own landers and save some money on commissions.

But I look at it this way, its a business and every business should have a website, I mean we kinda count on that for people to buy our domains.

Last edited:
•••
Having your own domain shop does increase marketing potential and possibilities. You can point your domains to your own landing pages and have the other marketplaces send you traffic instead of the other way around.

However, once you point domains to your shop then you do open yourself up to DDOS attacks, hackers, spammers, etc. That is inevitable for any website that becomes popular.

That's why we are vigilant in providing safeguards such as a secure firewall, server side detection, blocking functionality, and other security measures. It is ever important for any website that gets a lot of traffic. Because with that traffic come bots, both from trusted sources as well as malicious ones.

The upside is, that you control the traffic and can use it to your benefit. This also opens up huge possibilities.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back