Dynadot

guide Domain Name vs. Domain/Website

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joy Domainer

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

Would someone(s) please help newbies - primarily me, understand how domain name, and domain (as in a website) seem to be used interchangeably.

I've been looking for a domain name broker to sell my domain names. I have about 150 that I want to sell, many that I've been holding for years. When I go to a site for a broker looking under "domain names" to sell, the site immediately leads in to domains for sale, and/or a site to sell your DOMAIN/website/business.

I have some very marketable domain names, but don't want to set up websites. There must be really good domain NAME sellers brokers, but I can't find them. Isn't there domain a name broker who will look over my domain names, and tell me what he/she thinks we can get for them in the market?

Are "domains" and "domain names" used interchangeably?

Also, I have different categories, i.e. eco-friendly, travel, legal, etc. Are there sites that specialize in categories for people looking for domain names in a particular category?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Joy ~

[Pardon me if this has been asked and answered, I used the search box but couldn't find an answer]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is a house and a house name the same thing, and to be used interchangeably?
There is a lot of misuse of terms in the domain industry. How often do you see someone say I've bought a name, when they mean they have just registered it.
Domain, domain name, and website are different things. For example, you can have more than one website on a domain.

To answer the main question, most of the domain name sellers and brokers deal in domain names without the sites.

•••
afternic.com has brokers
sedo.com has brokers
uniregistry.com/ domainnamesales.com has brokers

domain is short for domain name, but domain also means your home or area you control outside of the world "domaining".

imo...

•••
Is a house and a house name the same thing, and to be used interchangeably?
There is a lot of misuse of terms in the domain industry. How often do you see someone say I've bought a name, when they mean they have just registered it.
Domain, domain name, and website are different things. For example, you can have more than one website on a domain.

To answer the main question, most of the domain name sellers and brokers deal in domain names without the sites.

Perfect analogy; now I understand (y)

•••
afternic.com has brokers
sedo.com has brokers
uniregistry.com/ domainnamesales.com has brokers

domain is short for domain name, but domain also means your home or area you control outside of the world "domaining".

imo...

In the past, getting to a Sedo broker was extremely difficult - at least when I tried. Thank you for the heads up; I will try the sites you mentioned.

•••
Why not list your domains here?

There is also a section here to request a broker.

If you have great domains, buyers will come find it.

•••
I have some very marketable domain names, but don't want to set up websites. There must be really good domain NAME sellers brokers, but I can't find them. Isn't there domain a name broker who will look over my domain names, and tell me what he/she thinks we can get for them in the market?

There are a few problems with these statements.

"Having very marketable domain names" is just your opinion. You wouldn't be the first domainer to have an inflated opinion of your domain names.

You are quite unlikely to find a domain broker of any repute who will look at your domain names and give you prices for sale.

A good domain broker is also probably only interested in selling a domain name starting at maybe $100k. It's probably not worth their time below that, or they have better opportunities.

•••
Why not list your domains here?

There is also a section here to request a broker.

If you have great domains, buyers will come find it.

(y) I will check into that right away - thank you!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back